Age out and graduation

95 members have voted

1. 1. How many years after your ageout did/will you finish your undergrad?

• Finished before the season
    • 4+
    • I got my education on the streets

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all want to march again, or for more seasons. But you can't possibly believe that having 21+ year olds in the same grouping as high school aged kids is good for one major reason.

Alcohol.

If anything, they should lower it to 20...

I dont see the point. My corps had rules baring alcohol for all its members. It doesnt matter whether you're 21 or 18...you either follow that rule, or you dont. I saw plenty of underage kids with access to it, and plenty of 21 year olds who didnt even try. Its all about whether you respect the rule/ organization or not....

I finished school a year after I aged out.

A 5 year bachelor degree is more and more common these days. For my nursing program, it requires two years of prerequisite classes and then the three year nursing program....so a 5 year bachelor degree.

Peace,

CuriousMe

Who spends 8 years doing their undergrad?

Van Wilder

I think you missed his point.

A friend of mine has been marching since 2002 and is glad to be aging out so that he can start his career as an instructor instead of a marcher. It is quite expensive to march and attend college at the same time, and one more year is barely feesable at the moment, two would not be able to happen, so if he doesn't age out this year he can't recieve the honor of an age out.

Besides, if this rule is passed, who will age out this year?

I guess I'm missing some extra prestige of being an age-out. Yes, I aged out and did the ceremony thing. What's the big deal? There's alumni around my corps all the time. I couldn't tell you who aged-out and who just marched a few years. Also, you don't have to be aged out to teach. I know people that have taught that still had a year to go. Maybe I'm missing something here...but if you don't want to march the extra year. Don't. When WGI changed the age-limit, it wasn't at big deal. People aged themselves out when they thought it was appropriate. Are there people that are marching in WGI forever and holding off their lives because WGI won't put an age-limit in place for them? Not that I can see.

We all want to march again, or for more seasons. But you can't possibly believe that having 21+ year olds in the same grouping as high school aged kids is good for one major reason.

Alcohol.

If anything, they should lower it to 20...

Alcohol in corps has NOTHING to do with age.

I guess I'm missing some extra prestige of being an age-out. Yes, I aged out and did the ceremony thing. What's the big deal? There's alumni around my corps all the time. I couldn't tell you who aged-out and who just marched a few years. Also, you don't have to be aged out to teach. I know people that have taught that still had a year to go. Maybe I'm missing something here...but if you don't want to march the extra year. Don't. When WGI changed the age-limit, it wasn't at big deal. People aged themselves out when they thought it was appropriate. Are there people that are marching in WGI forever and holding off their lives because WGI won't put an age-limit in place for them? Not that I can see.

Some corps have special honors for ageouts, like my corps only lets ageouts come inside the horn circle in the parking lot. They just don't look at alumni who didn't ageout with the corps the same as alumni who did ageout, and I'm sure many corps are like this.

Well no one's forcing you to march drum corps. You don't need a rule proposal to tell you when to continue with real life. There are plenty of people who march 1 or 2 years before they ageout. Some kids can't march because of their involvements in summer jobs and internships.

Just because there's an extra year doesn't make DCI captivate your life for an extra summer.

It's all on you, you figure out what's priority in your life. The opportunity is broadened not some forced army draft proposal. And it's only by 6 months.

I realize that I'm not being forced, and you're right that this isn't a draft proposal where people are required to come in and march, but I was honestly really looking forward to aging out this summer and being done with drum corps. If the rule changes, I will likely not be able to march my "other" ageout in 2009 because I have worked my ### off to stay on the 4 year track (unless the double major happens, then it will be an extra semester or two) and will tentatively be graduating college before that summer, hopefully already being offered a job somewhere.