Cadets 2008 Program!....

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah...um, i know. That was kind of the joke actually (that all pre-83 shows sucked because they were 'part 2's') I remember hearing about the big hubbub when Garfield won in 83, and actually DIDNT use the same show again in 84 . And tekk, did you honestly think I was bashing cadets 83??.... I know I havent been around much lately, but have you forgotten who i am...or more importantly, my posting history over the last season.... :smile:

Hey hey hey buddy, I apologize. I should not have been on this forum after a 12-hour night shift of troubleshooting telecommunications all night. I was delirious and looked at what was written instead of who wrote it. Sorry. Do you accept? :thumbup:

Whatever they do, whether you like them or not, they certainly get attention better than anyone else.

I would imagine it has somewhat less to do with what the corps does and more with what their director says/does.

I mean, that's why he has his blog, right? For the attention? Why else would someone put their "diary" for all to read on the internet, unless it's because they want/need the attention.

I hope the 2008 Cadets program is entertaining, enjoyable, and unnarrated as much as possible. :thumbup:

82 /83 -yes but 82 was really good

92 /93 yes but 92 was really good.

yes , part 2 shows do work for corps just not the Cadets.

JMO

What does that have to do with anything?? 2005 was really good and 06 wasnt, 82 was really good and 83 was better....You people are trying to draw a line through a set of data points that may as well have been crapped onto a football field by wandering cows... :thumbup:

I would imagine it has somewhat less to do with what the corps does and more with what their director says/does.

I mean, that's why he has his blog, right? For the attention? Why else would someone put their "diary" for all to read on the internet, unless it's because they want/need the attention.

I hope the 2008 Cadets program is entertaining, enjoyable, and unnarrated as much as possible. :thumbup:

better tell that to the millions of people that blog daily.

While it is an intriguing concept, I wonder if they have the courage to present an honest representation of the concept, rather than a 'Yay America!!!', whitewashed disingenuous version of history.

There would be narration... quotes from the Constitution, as well as Jefferson, who the excerpt in the title is attributed to.

An more honest representation of the ideals of Jefferson would be Pursuit of Happiness* ...

* unless you are aren't white, are a woman, or don't own land

Narrator:

Article 1, Section 2, Paragraph 3 of the United States Constitution...

"Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of
free
Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed,
three fifths of all other Persons
."

(The honest portrayal of Jefferson ideals would also have the Cadets recruiting as many African-Americans as possible so they can march 175, since, technically, they were considered to be only 3/5ths of a magnificent human being under the early Constitution).

When they get to the part about courtship and marriage, the narrator could continue to quote from Jefferson...

Narrator:

"The amalgamation of whites with blacks produces a degradation to which no lover of his country, no lover of excellence in the human character, can innocently consent."

My point is that if the organization is truly committed to education, rather than indoctrination, it should approach such a topic of history of the nation in genuine context, to show the greatness as well as the severe flaws in both the country's foundation, as well as its founders.

To present a glossed over cheerleading fluff-piece would not only be a disservice to both the youth participating as well as viewing the performance, it would be little different than the parades of Young Pioneers presenting neatly-scrubbed ideals of Lenin and Marx.

I guess I am simply asking the question, presenting a challenge... In the context of a program about the history of the American experience from the view of the individual, do they have the courage to present the whole truth, rather than just the shiny bits?

They have a unique opportunity to inspire thousands of young people to have a greater interest in the genuine history, process and struggle of the developing and maintaining personal freedom. The reality is that freedom never happened with a magical stroke of a pen, and that it can never be preserved with such.

Genuine liberty does not come from words, but requires sincere thought and consistent action, whether a vote, a petition, a rally or a revolution.

Edited by danielray

Danielray:

While I've always admired your passion, even in disagreeing with your doctrine, I'd ask you to consider this:

Drum corps is entertainment, a celebration of escapism.

Drum corps is not a socialogical/political statement.

Drum corps is a release...it is fun, it is frivolity, it is joy.

Drum corps is ENTERTAINMENT with a capital "E."

I now return you to the evening television news, the editorial page of the newspaper and the 2008 political campaign.

Danielray:

While I've always admired your passion, even in disagreeing with your doctrine, I'd ask you to consider this:

Drum corps is entertainment, a celebration of escapism.

Drum corps is not a socialogical/political statement.

Drum corps is a release...it is fun, it is frivolity, it is joy.

Drum corps is ENTERTAINMENT with a capital "E."

I now return you to the evening television news, the editorial page of the newspaper and the 2008 political campaign.

Youth Entertainment in the Arts????

What does that have to do with anything?? 2005 was really good and 06 wasnt, 82 was really good and 83 was better....You people are trying to draw a line through a set of data points that may as well have been crapped onto a football field-sized graph by wandering cows... :thumbup: