Retreat

definitely bring back America/o Canada

maybe just make it America, who knows?

i think retreat @ a few more shows would be pretty cool. not every show, but more shows

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahah I hated retreat, I was happy when they got rid of it... it was a pain to stand still for that long.

Wow, heaven forbid members have learn to stand still for a long while (i.e. not marching around at 200 bpm), try to maintain a corps identity and be patient. :rolleyes:

One of my favorite sights of all time was seeing the GARFIELD Cadets standing stony-faced before retreat in 1983. It was awe-inspiring. It was also interesting to see who took retreat seriously and who acted like it was a chore worse than bus cleaning duty.

Yes, retreat could be annoying at times, but just like all other difficult or tedious things it had its purpose and place in the development of thousands of young lives during its existence. I miss seeing it on the field. At least do it at regionals!

Wow, heaven forbid members have learn to stand still for a long while (i.e. not marching around at 200 bpm), try to maintain a corps identity and be patient. :rolleyes:

One of my favorite sights of all time was seeing the GARFIELD Cadets standing stony-faced before retreat in 1983. It was awe-inspiring. It was also interesting to see who took retreat seriously and who acted like it was a chore worse than bus cleaning duty.

Yes, retreat could be annoying at times, but just like all other difficult or tedious things it had its purpose and place in the development of thousands of young lives during its existence. I miss seeing it on the field. At least do it at regionals!

Yeah, I don't see why they don't do it at major events.. I thought they were going to the first year that they took retreat away but then it never happened.

I wouldn't really mind doing a full retreat at regionals, but for every other show I would definitely NOT want to do it. I really enjoy the downtime after shows, and especially changing out of my uniform right after the performance, when everyone on the bus is still charged up from the show.

Besides, if there were a full retreat, that would be even less time that I would be able to spend with my friends and family at the one show they get to come to.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see a retreat with each corps playing a traditional drum corps arrangement (signature song if they have one) as they enter the field. Start the show 1/2 hour earlier and shorten intermission if necessary.

I'd be willing to bet a larger percentage of the folks posting on here have never even seen a full retreat. Maybe the "corps come out stand and then leave" version but not a full one where you troope the stands and salute the winner while playing off. Those were cool. The castrated versions were just filler and a waste of time.

Yeah...wow, God Forbid somebody should have to stand at parade rest for a while to pay their respects to the corps who won the show.

Those that hate retreats, :thumbup: believe me you do learn something from it and apply it later in life.I loved playing our corps song to the corps as they were leaving the field. I loved the tradition of it and miss it.

The excuse for getting rid of retreats isn't working anyway, (wanted to get out of the parking lot earlier). Heck I see corps still in the parking lot running around naked for initiation instead of having retreat...so... :wub: At least for the regional shows bring it back!

Tell me how running around naked is going to help you later in life? :wub::wub:

i'd love to see a full retreat, no matter how long it takes. with the way things are changing, it would be nice to see a little something from the golden ages of drum corps....and by golden, i mean the years before George Hopkins decided that he is god's gift to rule proposals and we needed amps.