eligibility

rebu

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you actually think that there will be that many people that hadn't marched before they turned 22 that will do so because they will have the chance now if the new rule passes? I don't.

Yeah, we see several members who go to the top 5 corps for their one and only ageout season, but that doesn't happen much in the lower ranks and this rule certainly won't change that.

Although no one can claim to know exactly how it would effect the corps and who would take advantage of this rule change, but I would guess that the overwhelming majority of the persons utilizing this rule would be current members that would want an extra year before aging out. If this is the case, then that is not "another" couple hundred people marching...it's actually the opposite...members holding on to spots longer leaving less room for new auditionees.

err..no. If every corps were full, it would be a bad thing, because it would be harder to break in. Since they obviously are not, all it does is extend the age range able to do drum corps. I know plenty of people, even in my limited experience, who went to rook-out somewhere and loved it.

I think the math is fairly clear - if the rule passes, there will be a higher level of vets in the top corps for the following year, since many of them get the new 'extended 'bonus year. All this does is lowers the potential number of spots for rookies to get in. I dont see this as a problem for two reasons - 1, because the change to 150 should help alleviate that somewhat, and 2, because there will still be plenty of spots open in the lower-tier corps. I suspect you and I both know that a lot of people getting cut from top corps wont go anywhere else, but that is a separate issue for dci and the other corps marketing to handle, and shouldnt really intrude on this discussion.

I turn 21 in March. Do I age out this summer or next?

Here's this nifty little age calculator from DCI: DCI Age Calculator

err..no. If every corps were full, it would be a bad thing, because it would be harder to break in. Since they obviously are not, all it does is extend the age range able to do drum corps. I know plenty of people, even in my limited experience, who went to rook-out somewhere and loved it.

I think the math is fairly clear - if the rule passes, there will be a higher level of vets in the top corps for the following year, since many of them get the new 'extended 'bonus year. All this does is lowers the potential number of spots for rookies to get in. I dont see this as a problem for two reasons - 1, because the change to 150 should help alleviate that somewhat, and 2, because there will still be plenty of spots open in the lower-tier corps. I suspect you and I both know that a lot of people getting cut from top corps wont go anywhere else, but that is a separate issue for dci and the other corps marketing to handle, and shouldnt really intrude on this discussion.

Well put.... I agree 100%

well that's both cool and the end all to the discussion...if someone isn't sure...put in your birthday and you'll have a definitive answer!

I wonder if they will update that calculator for the new proposed rule before or after this season?

If it passes, that is.