Phantom Regiment Financial Needs Over the Years

I'm totally speculating here but did a few folks get cut after audition camp or something?

I cut myself in 1977 after midway through my first Saturday. I was a trumpet player (owned a Mt. Vernon Strad since I was 11) and when they handed me that bugle, well, the prima and the donna portions of this 17 year old kid came out. Then came the push ups...for being the primadonna I am. And, it wasn't a fun Friday or Saturday.

Plus...there were these college guys getting crazy good sounds on these...bugle type things. So, I left Saturday during dinner, never to audition again. And it haunts me still...those '77 and '78 years...wow. What was I thinking?

Yeah, it is so odd that people being asked to donate money to an organization would ask questions about past finances and spending.

To answer, yes, I got cut. They said I was a couple of decades too old and a few pounds too hefty.

Edited by TXMystreaux

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it is so odd that people being asked to donate money to an organization would ask questions about past finances and spending.

To answer, yes, I got cut. They said I was a couple of decades too old and a few pounds too hefty.

so you and I share something in common. Small world. :thumbup:

:thumbup:

:thumbup:

here's where I don't get it. No one on DCP has been asked to give. It was an appeal sent through a newspaper to Rockford area residents.

where on DCP was someone asked to give? Where did the organization post anything soliciting gifts or donations from the members of DCP?

so, if you weren't asked...why do you even care?

this is simply an attempt to stir a pot that doesn't exist.

If this organization came to the good people of DCP and said...hey DCPer, you are involved in the drum corps activity in some way. We'd like you to give us some money. Then I could understand questions.

Instead, a Board member of the organization posted a link to a newspaper article regarding the current financial situation and what the corps means to ROCKFORD, IL...the appeal is directed AT THEM.

YOU are NOT THEM. End of discussion.

Because if you were them...you could just drive over the corps' offices and most likely sit down with Rick Valenzuela and discuss your questions in person.

But, it's the lull in the drum corps season and corps have pretty much stopped posting camp reports because people on here jump to the attack when they were once posted on here....has DCP lost it's purpose?

Maybe it should be...just a place for people to be snarky about anything posted. Hey, I know..I'm guilty as well as anyone. What is DCP if drum corps won't post information here anymore and feel threatened everytime they reach out to the dysfunctional community we've become....(we at least put the FUN in dysfunction).

Hey...again, I'm at fault in this as well.

So...what do we do?

Not that this says much, but you can go to the SOS website for IL and get the "Certificate of Good Standing" status.

http://www.ilsos.gov/corporatellc/

It was also pretty fun to compare their status to that of another "big name" IL corps.

Not much there, but "Unacceptable" sure spoke loudly. Bear with me...I'm not just "snarking."

I'm totally speculating here but did a few folks get cut after audition camp or something?

Not me. I only marched one year...couldn't afford more. Should have taken years off of school and marched more. Oops. Fell in love and never fell out. Lucky to have marched one year. Lots of respect for lots of people here who never marched.

Gotta be honest, guys--I'm really disappointed in some of the replies here. I, personally, received an email from the corps. I suspect that some of you did, too. It was one of those mass-blast emails sent out to anyone who gave their email on the alum page of regiment.org. Nothing that hasn't been made public, just addressed directly to me. Well, not addressed, but sent to me.

Let's say your Fidelity broker calls you and asks you to consider investing some money in a corporation. Say your lawyer contacts you and offers you the opportunity to invest in a start-up or IPO not available to the general public. Rare, but not uncommon. Google did it. Microsoft did it. And those who invested funds are doing quite well now.

Since I'm the bloke who begun the thread, let's get real here...I'm not about to just write a check to some guy who comes to my door asking for investment. I'm not just about to hand my hard-earned money over to someone who says, "Yeah, I've invented a new widget and I need money to market it." I want a business plan, financials--even if only pro-forma--and a whole bunch of information on the management, etc.

Yeah, I'm a Phantom honk, despite what Sutasaurus thinks about me. Doesn't like that I have "trombone" in my screen name. Sorry, I actually play on a real instrument, though I have string-playing friends who would question the accuracy of that statement. But my alum status and my fan status and the fact that SUTA coarses through my vains doesn't blind me to the fact that this organization has a history. Donate? Yeah, I'll probably cut a check. My other corps went away (RIP Sky), I'd kind of like this one not to. But even when you go to Warren Buffett and ask for money you have to expect he's going to ask questions.

I notice that NOT ONE OF YOU has bothered to answer my original question. Thanks. I sure hope that the DCP community has great financial advice coming from degreed, certified, experienced sources knowledgeable in the areas of tax, law, accounting, finance and other fields.

Trish, I AM a Financial Analyst. Not the most experienced guy out there, but decent enough to be able to look up a set of financials or a tax return and tell you what the state of the organization is based on several items on the forms that many of you wouldn't even know the definition of. I hate to sound like I'm insulting blanket everybody, I am not. But my point is that I was asking for a bit of history and hoped that some on here could fill in some blanks.

That being said, Mr Newell was right...best to go to the source. I have. I will be speaking with him soon. And although I'm sure that my input will be neither necessary nor accepted, partially due to my ever-growing reputation around here, I am concerned about the future of "my" corps.

I have other things I could be dedicating my effort and thoughts to, such as a major freeway traffic flow plan that I am presenting in Austin to the #2 guy in the State of Texas in transportation. And I'm not an engineer. The fact that I'm even in contact with the guy says something, IMO. I would hope that someone who is in front of some of the people that I am on that and other matters has a voice that a $1.5 million a year organization would listen to. ###-u-me, right?

Sorry I marched Regiment. Sorry I fell in love. Sorry I got a degree that taught me something about financial management, including financial statements. Sorry I care. Sorry I asked.

But I'm not going away. Not by a long shot. Merry Christmas anyways. And don't expect for me to share anything that I learn about the organization from Mr. Newell. I have already promised confidentiality and I'm sure you can all appreciate that.

Ask questions. Question the first answer given. Many corps have gone away due to these same issues, and Phantom Regiment has a history of close calls. I was simply asking for a replay of those instances. So much for asking questions.

Yes, ask questions if you want. Seeing how you were emailed by them asking for a donation, your question should be in the same form.

But I'm not going away. Not by a long shot. Merry Christmas anyways. And don't expect for me to share anything that I learn about the organization from Mr. Newell. I have already promised confidentiality and I'm sure you can all appreciate that.

Oh yea, funny how you complain no one is answering your questions, then you post on an internet forum that you are going to get your answer but it will remain a secret. So does that mean we can close this thread since you don't want people to know what they aren't going to tell us all at once?

Oh yea, funny how you complain no one is answering your questions, then you post on an internet forum that you are going to get your answer but it will remain a secret. So does that mean we can close this thread since you don't want people to know what they aren't going to tell us all at once?

Cute avatar...saw that the other day on youtube...or email, don't remember which.

I vote close.

I totally agree.

Edited by Lancerlady