Phantom Regiment Financial Needs Over the Years

Not to be a spoil sport Mr. Newell, but why not answer the questions on this board and then EVERYONE will be informed. You might even change some minds on wether or not they will be giving any further to your organization. I personally am a Phantom NUT, and I want nothing more than to see Phantom succeed. Truth be told on this board will do nothing but help Phantoms rep in the long run. After last years { NEW] car plead, and this years buy down the debt plea, the rep is hurting, and people like me, who are on the fringe of deciding who I should help { right now its the Colts and Southwind}, would love to here your answers and statements.

I fully agree. Whether there is something "shady" or not in the process, not sharing leads most people to that conclusion. Sure, we could all individually email the corps and possibly get some answers, but if they were truly willing to answer these questions, why not here where obviously more than just one or two people are interested in knowing?

I don't have much money to give, but when it comes to deciding who to give it to, situations like this one definitely help make the decision easier.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully agree. Whether there is something "shady" or not in the process, not sharing leads most people to that conclusion. Sure, we could all individually email the corps and possibly get some answers, but if they were truly willing to answer these questions, why not here where obviously more than just one or two people are interested in knowing?

I don't have much money to give, but when it comes to deciding who to give it to, situations like this one definitely help make the decision easier.

and that's everyone's perogative. Again, to my knowledge, this organization hasn't come to DCP and ask people on the forums here to break out their checkbooks. The appeal was to the citizens of the greater Rockford area who reard the Register Star.

There is no doubt, the Phantom Regiment organization has been important for cultural outreach from what is otherwise one of the armpits of the US.

There are really only three things worthwhile about calling Rockford your hometown....The Regiment, Cheap Trick, and Beef-a-Roo.

Some of the major manufacturing companies that used to be perennial donors to the organization have either been bought up by non-Rockford companies, have moved out of town, or have shuttered their doors. Those donor dollars are never coming back to this organization.

So, people want to focus on the negative...hey, I'm as guilty of this as anyone else on here. But, this organization....most likely for the first time since the the late 1980s or early 1990s has managed two seasons without incurring more debt. When you look at other corps and their current financials, that's doing a pretty good job.

Overall, other corps, particularly Madison took another route to attempt to solve their current debt issues. It will be interesting to see how these two organizations, separated by about 75 miles, progress over the next 5-10 years emerging from these tough times. They took two different approaches. Time will ultimately judge which approach was more successful.

Not to be a spoil sport Mr. Newell, but why not answer the questions on this board and then EVERYONE will be informed. You might even change some minds on wether or not they will be giving any further to your organization. I personally am a Phantom NUT, and I want nothing more than to see Phantom succeed. Truth be told on this board will do nothing but help Phantoms rep in the long run. After last years { NEW] car plead, and this years buy down the debt plea, the rep is hurting, and people like me, who are on the fringe of deciding who I should help { right now its the Colts and Southwind}, would love to here your answers and statements.

I disagree. Unfortunately the only thing that will come about and open discussion about ANY corps financial issues, problems or what have you, will lead to shaded opinions! This is not the first time something like this has come up on DCP and it never turns in helpful conversation. Rather, points fingers, blame, propaganda, and paints a very bad picture for those it involves whether the comments are helpful in nature or not.

If you ever trusted your corps, help them. Don't hinder them. Everyone has good intentions when they start something like this, but have 0 control when it creates a life of its own on this board and gets carried out of control. If this is being monitored by DCP moderators, the thread should be closed!

and that's everyone's perogative. Again, to my knowledge, this organization hasn't come to DCP and ask people on the forums here to break out their checkbooks. The appeal was to the citizens of the greater Rockford area who reard the Register Star.

There is no doubt, the Phantom Regiment organization has been important for cultural outreach from what is otherwise one of the armpits of the US.

There are really only three things worthwhile about calling Rockford your hometown....The Regiment, Cheap Trick, and Beef-a-Roo.

Some of the major manufacturing companies that used to be perennial donors to the organization have either been bought up by non-Rockford companies, have moved out of town, or have shuttered their doors. Those donor dollars are never coming back to this organization.

So, people want to focus on the negative...hey, I'm as guilty of this as anyone else on here. But, this organization....most likely for the first time since the the late 1980s or early 1990s has managed two seasons without incurring more debt. When you look at other corps and their current financials, that's doing a pretty good job.

Overall, other corps, particularly Madison took another route to attempt to solve their current debt issues. It will be interesting to see how these two organizations, separated by about 75 miles, progress over the next 5-10 years emerging from these tough times. They took two different approaches. Time will ultimately judge which approach was more successful.

Wasn't there an entire thread about donating to Phantom?

Ok All --

Not that I am the provervial "know it all", but I do have an MBA, work for a major fortune 500 company, AND have a musical degree in which I teach and support the drum corps activity, Phantom Regiment being one of them.

Now, DCP is a free range, say whatever bulletin board. Plain & simple. Alot of what is typed/conveyed here is just "hearsay" and should be taken as that. IT IS NOT GOSPEL unless the source, as is Greg Newell, credible. However, when an organization does have & has had financial troubles, everyone wants to know why, how long it's been going on, who is responsible, blah, blah, blah. The rectification of such is all that should matter to anybody! Who cares if it's Phantom, Southwind, Colts or any other corps?

Let's face it. Today, running a youth organization of ANY sort, especially one travel related such as drum corps is extremely costly on many fronts. Now, an organization just does not fall into immediate debt, it's a process that takes many years and many a situation to see it bloom to a scenario like Phantom's. Blame is not the issue at this point, who cares --- the debt is what it is regardless of peoples opinions on it. What is important is that they (the Board) realized the importance of the crushing dept, it's longstanding impact on operations and -- have taken steps to allieviate that debt. Gee, if only ENRON & MATTELL did the same thing!

Would I care if people read more into it than they should? NO!! The main importance is the health and continuance of a 50 year old organization that is for the youth of today. END POINT. Listen to the news, read the papers. Lenders and financial institutions are failing at an alarming rate, and the credit crisis for ALL businesses will only get worse before it gets better IMHO. Kudos to Regiment's BOD for consolidating what they could. Whether write-off, donations etc, it's getting taken care of. Was there things that could have been avoided like auto purchases, equipment etc that may have been uncalled for? Yes. Was their ill timed decisions made that were costly? Yes -- we do it ourselves on a daily basis in our own finances!

Geepers -- get on with you're lives and leave Phantom to do what they do best -- provide a life changing, quintesential learning experience for todays' teens that is irreplaceable as well as unforgettable summer for countless kids. If we were all financial anylysts and accountants, or lawyers, then we'd be in a position to give Regiment some advise. Otherwise, support who you're heart tells you to. Whatever cause you choose, for whatever reason, you do it because you want to... not because of obligation, so please Please, PLEASE don't rag on an organization (or the members or BOD) desperately trying to recoup losses and bad judgment for a present situation that's seen it way to fruition.

Again, help it you want -- don't if you feel so inlined. Whatever the decision, just support the kids who take the field this year -- they are there FOR YOU! Just keep on supporting the activity on a whole. If you're life is hanging by a thread in absolute need and desperation for a detailed breakdown and analysis of regiments financial condition the past ten years -- then by all means, send a PM to Greg Newell, a Board Member or, get online to the IL Dept of Public Records and pay a few dollars for their balance sheet(s) -- again, it's public knowledge, GO GET IT!

Whether it's Phantom Regiment, Southwind, Blue Devils or Cadets, their dept and financial management is their own business, inquiries are as noted, welcomed, but I'm sure there are much better things to worry about & discuss than something that has already occurred and being fixed.

Oppps! Sorry! OFF MY SOAPBOX NOW!

SUTA!

Wasn't there an entire thread about donating to Phantom?

No - someone posted a link to a news article...the DCP community took it from there :withstupid:

....which is why posting any specific financial information is a waste of time as the topic will eventually become a trainwreck...plus isnt it all public information anyway?

I do wonder what DCI thought about this debt. Since I assume corps have to verify their financial stability to tour each summer, I'm sure they knew and I wonder if DCI saw the debt as a dangerous liability for the corps.

Now, DCP is a free range, say whatever bulletin board. Plain & simple. Alot of what is typed/conveyed here is just "hearsay" and should be taken as that. IT IS NOT GOSPEL unless the source, as is Greg Newell, credible. However, when an organization does have & has had financial troubles, everyone wants to know why, how long it's been going on, who is responsible, blah, blah, blah. The rectification of such is all that should matter to anybody! Who cares if it's Phantom, Southwind, Colts or any other corps?

Geepers -- get on with you're lives and leave Phantom to do what they do best -- provide a life changing, quintesential learning experience for todays' teens that is irreplaceable as well as unforgettable summer for countless kids. If we were all financial anylysts and accountants, or lawyers, then we'd be in a position to give Regiment some advise. Otherwise, support who you're heart tells you to. Whatever cause you choose, for whatever reason, you do it because you want to... not because of obligation, so please Please, PLEASE don't rag on an organization (or the members or BOD) desperately trying to recoup losses and bad judgment for a present situation that's seen it way to fruition.

First of all, I have not seen anyone make an issue of this situation because it is Phantom. I think the same questions would have been asked had it been any other corps. In fact, let's face it, had certain other corps asked in this way the outpour of questions would have been much more than what we have seen here.

Secondly, why are you telling people to "get on with their lives" when many of us asking these questions were asked personally (via email or mail) to donate to the organization? If you want people's money for free, then be ready for some questions and examination of how you have spent your money in the past.

So, ultimately, noone is ragging on an organization. People are asking questions, which they are more than entitled to do. It only seems more foolish for some of you to downplay those concerns and point the finger at those who are being asked to give.

Ragging on -- and the "getting on with your lives" line was aimed specifically at those who ##### and complain that there is / was no means of obtaining detailed info to the cause of the debt, parties involved etc that's all.

If indeed Regiment's BOD sent out individual emails and or letters asking for financial help, then obviously those here on DCP would be oblivious to that fact until it was made known -- as you have done. No offense to anyone -- but IMHO it (the whole thread) was senseless as it got bigger and bigger..... sorta like a snowball!

I'm just as aware of peoples interests on financial stability -- but it was getting to the point where the word, dare I think it or even type it.... 'conspiracy'., or lack of providing pertinent info to the facts was indeed being 'submissive' as you've read here by others

THAT was the only reasons I typed, and with good premptive cause to do so - what I did !

Here is what I am referring to __ and yes, to me and any intelligent reader -- is SPECIFICALLY targeting Regiment ..................

QUOTE (84skyrydr @ Dec 18 2007, 10:30 PM)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I fully agree. Whether there is something "shady" or not in the process, not sharing leads most people to that conclusion. Sure, we could all individually email the corps and possibly get some answers, but if they were truly willing to answer these questions, why not here where obviously more than just one or two people are interested in knowing? I don't have much money to give, but when it comes to deciding who to give it to, situations like this one definitely help make the decision easier.

Here is what I am referring to __ and yes, to me and any intelligent reader -- is SPECIFICALLY targeting Regiment ..................

QUOTE (84skyrydr @ Dec 18 2007, 10:30 PM)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I fully agree. Whether there is something "shady" or not in the process, not sharing leads most people to that conclusion. Sure, we could all individually email the corps and possibly get some answers, but if they were truly willing to answer these questions, why not here where obviously more than just one or two people are interested in knowing? I don't have much money to give, but when it comes to deciding who to give it to, situations like this one definitely help make the decision easier.

How is that targeted at Regiment, aside from the corps asking for money in this situation is Regiment? You could insert any corps' name into the same scenario. If people feel like the money is more needed elsewhere, it is more than their right to give it to another corps, and that is not necessarily a statement against the Phantom Regiment.

I don't think anyone here wants to see any corps fail or not field a corps. Phantom is obviously one of the most loved organizations in the world of drum corps. But, in these situation, these questions are common.