Plagerization of Drum Corps

No one corps owns ANY of the music that they play on the field, unless they hired someone to write it specifically for them, and it's original. Any corps, regardless of who they are, or when they played what, paid money for the rights to play said music. Really, let's stop whining about who played what, and when. Why don't we focus on our own shows, and stop trying to kick each other in the ###? The point of this activity is to entertain. We compete on the field. I guess when we AREN'T on the field, we try to find ways to compete otherwise.

I will agree with the fact that creative shows are great; but where is the line going to be drawn regarding what is and isn't creative? Will arrangements be frowned upon? Will corps be penalized for using certain combinations of songs? We have a minority of fans in comparison with other types of media. Let's scare them all away because we're worried about not only obtaining the rights to the music to begin with, but then having to worry about someone looming over our heads, deciding what is and isn't creative. We're involved in the activity to have fun.......... right??

Edited by MelloTrump

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't they already do this w/ movies????? just take different segments of different movies and "enhance" them.............. ie: scary movie.. not another teenage movie.... etc. people find them entertaining...

just stating..... it's already done in the media...

If you are calling DCA show spoofs... well that doesn't really say much at all for them then because all of the movies you just listed are made purposely to spoof a REAL movie... So that would make redueing another show a joke?

No one corps owns ANY of the music that they play on the field, unless they hired someone to write it specifically for them, and it's original. Any corps, regardless of who they are, or when they played what, paid money for the rights to play said music. Really, let's stop whining about who played what, and when. Why don't we focus on our own shows, and stop trying to kick each other in the ###? The point of this activity is to entertain. We compete on the field. I guess when we AREN'T on the field, we try to find ways to compete otherwise.

I will agree with the fact that creative shows are great; but where is the line going to be drawn regarding what is and isn't creative? Will arrangements be frowned upon? Will corps be penalized for using certain combinations of songs? We have a minority of fans in comparison with other types of media. Let's scare them all away because we're worried about not only obtaining the rights to the music to begin with, but then having to worry about someone looming over our heads, deciding what is and isn't creative. We're involved in the activity to have fun.......... right??

I swear I just read this earlier today :thumbup:

If you are calling DCA show spoofs... well that doesn't really say much at all for them then because all of the movies you just listed are made purposely to spoof a REAL movie... So that would make redueing another show a joke?

adam.. the comment was a reply to a devil advocate's comment about taking chapters of a book and rearranging them.. has nothing to do w/ drum corps... please read the whole post first before trying to argue....

thank you. have a nice day

adam.. the comment was a reply to a devil advocate's comment about taking chapters of a book and rearranging them.. has nothing to do w/ drum corps... please read the whole post first before trying to argue....

thank you. have a nice day

Wow, evidently I don't understand how the English language works... Because what the "devils advocate" was refering to was simply taking the same show and moving the songs around to make a "new" show. So that comment is related to drum corps.

Then by you saying this is already done in the media through movies and you named spoof movies which really is not the same annology that the "devils advocate" used because those are SATIRE not just rearrangements of the same movie but in a different order. It is in direct corrolation to the drum corps discussion at hand based off the fact that you were responding directly to the comment that was directly related to drum corps.

So, I am having a great day... not that I really think you meant for me to have a nice day but I will just be nieve and assume you were sincere. :tongue:

Hella! :ph34r:

Again, I am not talking about taking a tune and making it your own, or even something famous, like the traffic jam (a new science fiction version of which you will likely see in Renegades production of Dark City, which is not only a key creative part of our show, but also a tribute to our East Coast friends in red and black).

I am referring to taking an entire show, and simply trying to recreate DCI. A corps that does so may be great, may execute to perfection, and may be exciting. But, at the end of the day, its just a pale recreation of the original DCI version, at a later date. Which I happen to believe is inherently bad for DCA in regards to marketing our product, especially since the average DCA corps has the potential to be (or is) very exciting and creative, given the extreme talent we have on our staffs.

The average DCA staff could easily teach a DCI corps. So, why copy DCI? DCA is great, in and of itself.

Let's be ... us.

Well, I was speaking to the original posters remarks....................which I took to meaning a tune,.........or in my example,....................a recreated, note for note ending,....................

Wow, evidently I don't understand how the English language works... Because what the "devils advocate" was refering to was simply taking the same show and moving the songs around to make a "new" show. So that comment is related to drum corps.

Then by you saying this is already done in the media through movies and you named spoof movies which really is not the same annology that the "devils advocate" used because those are SATIRE not just rearrangements of the same movie but in a different order. It is in direct corrolation to the drum corps discussion at hand based off the fact that you were responding directly to the comment that was directly related to drum corps.

So, I am having a great day... not that I really think you meant for me to have a nice day but I will just be nieve and assume you were sincere. :tongue:

Hella! :ph34r:

adam.. it was a general comment.. saying that taking bits and pieces from here and there has been done many many times in many medias and have been successful.. not just "spoof" movies, but those are the first things that popped into my mind. so... if u stop being a smart ### and stop acting like u know everything.. maybe u would see that.....

done w/ this topic..

and again.. sincerely. have a nice day :)

I am arguing less the strict definition of plagerization (primarily because I'm not an IP attorney) and more this argument that this practice is/is not creative. How creative would it be if I took pieces of chapters of famous books and put all those pieces back together in a rearranged order? This whether or not I actually had rights to do so.

Mind you, I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

With stories and literature, it would be harder to do and make sense or have a good flow.

With music, you're presenting single pieces, usually, and each piece stands alone or loosely held to a theme of sorts.

I once saw the Philadelphia Orchestra perform a program they entitled "Fireworks". It was a show of rousing classical pieces from various suites and operas, etc. It was very exciting and fun.

About 20 years later, I went to a Pittsburgh Symphony concert when they were touring and played in West Chester.

It was also a "Fireworks" sort of program with much of the same music. It was, needless to say, very well done.

Did I come away thinking, "Wow, that was just a rehash of the Philadelphia Orchestra program." No, in fact, I went to see the Pittsburgh Symphony because I enjoyed the Philly one so much. On another occasion, I saw a similar program given by the Delaware County Symphony with Red Winzer on double bass, with much the same music.

(the Philly and Pitt, orchestras were a "little" bit better than the Delaware County Symphony :ph34r:)

Safe to say, that even though they all played the same music or type of music, no one was "copying" the other. (In fact, to say that anyone from Pittsburgh ever copied anything from Philadelphia is to invite certain death by a most horrible means :tongue: no, seriously)

If you really enjoy what you're watching or participating in, the "been there; done that", know it all, attitude should be minimal. If you recognize a piece as being played by another corps, you should get trivia points - nothing more.

How about the stock drum corps ending used by Steel City back in the day,............and used used by both the Renegades and Brigs a few years back.....................just saying...............

i'm still a little confused on this one because I didn't think we had a 'stock ending' - but at least someone remembers something about us!

Separation of a few decades probably defeats the argument, though.