Plagerization of Drum Corps

Along with the modernization of Drum Corps today, specifically, instrumentation changes, electronics, copyright infringement laws and others being considered. I would like to know if others agree or disagree with a proposal to discourage plagiarzation in Drum Corps?

Everyone in Drum Corps knows what I am referring to....we've all seen it, participated in it, on one level or another. But maybe a law should be implemented that would govern and levy penalties against those who would openly "steal" another

DrumCorps/Percussion ensemble/Marching Bands ideas.....

Any Comments?.....

Edited by muzzicman1

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Along with the modernization of Drum Corps today, specifically, instrumentation changes, electronics, copyright infringement laws and others being considered. I would like to know if others agree or disagree with a proposal to discourage plagerization in Drum Corps?

Everyone in Drum Corps knows what I am referring to....we've all seen it, participated in it, on one level or another. But maybe a law should be implemented that would govern and levy penalties against those who would openly "steal" another

Any Comments?.....

The most logical way to do this is to build a creativity caption into the judging sheets that would inherently "not" reward simply playing another DCI or DCA corps show, and calling it your own. The difficulty lies in where you draw the line, and defining exactly what constitutes "infringement" in this context. Playing the Vanguard's entire 1973 show or whatever note-for-note, is an easy call. But, what about a corps that plays a country music version of Vanguard's 1973 show? Or who plays Vanguard's 1973 show note-for-note, but does a costumed visual production based upon The Hobbit?

Defining this is obviously a very difficult thing to do and very subjective, but it would be good to have some sort of creativity requirement on DCA sheets, as our collective product would be much more geared towards growing the fan base, instead of seeming like a pale recreation of DCI.

IMO, when a DCA corps is running on all cylinders and performing their own style of show, the entertainment value and marketability can often exceed what you see in DCI.

The most logical way to do this is to build a creativity caption into the judging sheets that would inherently "not" reward simply playing another DCI or DCA corps show, and calling it your own. The difficulty lies in where you draw the line, and defining exactly what constitutes "infringement" in this context. Playing the Vanguard's entire 1973 show or whatever note-for-note, is an easy call. But, what about a corps that plays a country music version of Vanguard's 1973 show? Or who plays Vanguard's 1973 show note-for-note, but does a costumed visual production based upon The Hobbit?

Defining this is obviously a very difficult thing to do and very subjective, but it would be good to have some sort of creativity requirement on DCA sheets, as our collective product would be much more geared towards growing the fan base, instead of seeming like a pale recreation of DCI.

IMO, when a DCA corps is running on all cylinders and performing their own style of show, the entertainment value and marketability can often exceed what you see in DCI.

AGREE 100%

Along with the modernization of Drum Corps today, specifically, instrumentation changes, electronics, copyright infringement laws and others being considered. I would like to know if others agree or disagree with a proposal to discourage plagerization in Drum Corps?

Any Comments?.....

From my knowledge, no corps stole anything from anyone. Where did you get this information from and which corps stole thier show from another corps/arranger without their expressed permission?

Ecellent post!

From my knowledge, no corps stole anything from anyone. Where did you get this information from and which corps stole thier show from another corps/arranger without their expressed permission?

i doubt he means "stole" as in theft...rather it's a corps playing music previously performed (and identified) with another...particularly a jr corps.

Want me to name a name? Sure....Brigs 2003....i remember watching the dvd and hearing 1990 Bd...really!

If you're gonna do something so identified with another corps...do something DIFFERENT with it! GREAT example (same season, in fact)...Renegades' opener...a brilliant combination of charts that sounded like an overture.

And in 06???? Good lord...the open class champs...Bucs! Bolero (Madison) Capriccio Espagnol (SCV) Claire de Lune (Phantom) Scheherezade (SCV).

it's one thing when a small start up like En Garde pulls a chart that's been done before....but it's quite another when it's one of the big boys.

Lee,

Agree 100%

Joe

And in 06???? Good lord...the open class champs...Bucs! Bolero (Madison) Capriccio Espagnol (SCV) Claire de Lune (Phantom) Scheherezade (SCV).

Honestly, I don't think any one of those tunes was an outright copy of the version done by a given junior corps. IMO, the Bucs took those four tunes and put their own "spin" on them, to great effect..... again, IMO. One of the most well-coordinated programs that I've ever seen from a DCA corps.

I understand Lee's point, and I agree with him to a decent degree..... but I hope we never get to the point where we equate "creativity" with "only doing songs no one's ever heard on a drum corps field before."

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring