Plagerization of Drum Corps

Huh? Gary - clue me in to what we took from Steel City (a corps I have never heard before). Thanks!

..........never said you or anybody else took it from Steel City,...............but what I will say is every time I hear that ending at a show or in my truck,..................after those last 5 notes I yell out "Steel" :tongue:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand everyone's feelings about this and in some small way, I feel the same... but where is the line drawn? I have never heard one drum corps DIRECTLY rip an arrangement from another corps and if they're not doing that, the corps that decides to use music that's been done before is NOT in the wrong. So much can be said for putting a new spin on a piece of famous music or combining two famous pieces of music, yes?

Besides, why would we want to limit the performance of so many GREAT pieces of music that BEAR being heard over and over again? If that rule had been in effect since my drum corps career started I wouldn't have been able to play "The Planets" "On the Waterfront" "Make Our Garden Grow" "1812 Overture" "Carmen" not to mention other pieces. Plus what would that leave us? Most of the new music that's never been played before is being done in BOA and DCI, and given the negative attitude so many people have about that, I'm not sure why people would want this can of worms opened.

there are plenty of untouched great pieces out there...

Honestly, I don't think any one of those tunes was an outright copy of the version done by a given junior corps. IMO, the Bucs took those four tunes and put their own "spin" on them, to great effect..... again, IMO. One of the most well-coordinated programs that I've ever seen from a DCA corps.

I understand Lee's point, and I agree with him to a decent degree..... but I hope we never get to the point where we equate "creativity" with "only doing songs no one's ever heard on a drum corps field before."

Fran

Gee, isn't that called DCI??

after those last 5 notes I yell out "Steel"

It is quite interesting that just 5 notes can bring the word "Steel" to mind, even when it is some other corps. Having been the caption head for the brass line at Steel City for 8 years, I can't recall one particular set of 5 notes that was used from year to year that would be considered "Steel's" signature ending. We did, throught the years, shout Steel during our shows, but it wasn't always in the same spot, or even in the same song.

You did, however, bring back fond memories of a great time in my drum corps career.

Edited by bandmanwalt

This example would be different Marty, I'm talking about a competitive drum and bugle corps show........not the Philharmonic....but I do understand

your argument.

The professional world of music, be it classical, pop, jazz, whatever, is way more competitive than drum corps, (just not on a field, usually), and the stakes are much, much higher.

IMO, for it to be a rip off, it would have to be EXACTLY the same as another corps; every note, every dynamic, every move on the field.

Just saying, "Hey, this corps or that corps did that song before and this corps here, sounds a lot like that.", doesn't count, in my book, as a rip off.

after those last 5 notes I yell out "Steel"

It is quite interesting that just 5 notes can bring the word "Steel" to mind, even when it is some other corps. Having been the caption head for the brass line at Steel City for 8 years, I can't recall one particular set of 5 notes that was used from year to year that would be considered "Steel's" signature ending. We did, throught the years, shout Steel during our shows, but it wasn't always in the same spot, or even in the same song.

You did, however, bring back fond memories of a great time in my drum corps career.

You don't really want to know Empire's response to the 87 "Steel" yell... :tongue:

i think i get what your trying ot say but im willing to bet that the corps who paly the same shows as other corps paid for the music and have gained leagle rights and permission to play that music. A lot of highschools buy dci song and drill and do not change a thing like alot of school play the planets with the same drill from the cavaliers. i think what your tryng to say is that the drum corps should be original with their own music and ideas with music but you cant say that corps steal their music to try to use it as their own kuz that would quite possible be the stupidest thing for a corp to do when its easy to jsut buy the music.

Femur? Is that you?

You don't really want to know Empire's response to the 87 "Steel" yell... :tongue:

Why, Did they steel(little humor) it from someone else?

Please. Enough already. Watch DCI, or better yet, look at these forums to decide what show to play, so that the combination of songs, or the arrangements aren't offensive. Why don't we just not play what other people have before? We could break it down further after that, and have instant replays during shows, and contest each other while on the field because rhythms and phrasing are similar. I'm sure that lots of people enjoy each corps' show,and that they're the brainchild of people that put alot of time,money,blood,sweat and tears, and travel into them. This is not football,nor is it a courtroom. It's a freakin' senior corps forum. :tongue::ph34r: Go through the proper channels.

Where is Rodney King when you need him? "Can't we all just get along?"

Like you said, this is a freakin' senior corps forum and are having discussions/arguements/debates over a senior corps topic. Like I said in one of my previous posts. What is it with people not being able to handle a little disagreement and listening to other peoples opinions. If you don't like the conversation, don't get involved with it. But, stop calling on us to end the conversation as if it were a world war and peoples lives were at stake.