Do corps work harder these days, or just smarter?

So after watching a couple of Bluecoats rehearsals this past Summer, it got me wondering if corps today are working harder or smarter during the season, including throughout the Winter/Spring.

I know that when I marched, we practiced during the Winter/Spring it seemed like every other weekend (could be wrong) and the guard was at every camp. I realize that guards have WGI so they're working even harder during that time.

We didn't have a "Spring training" period like they do now. So I'd have to say in that respect, todays corps work a lot harder during that time.

Now for the Summer. During the couple of rehearsals I attended, I noticed that things were done fairly similar to the way they were done when I marched. You have some section time, then you put it together on the field with the entire corps. Here's where I see the major differences. Being a drummer, I only pay attention to the drumline during the sectionals, so I can't speak for the horns or guard. The big difference here was the use of stands for the tenors and basses. Don't get me wrong, if I had the chance to use a stand, I would have jumped at it. Off topic question: For tenor players, doesn't the use of a stand change the way you play? I would think you COULD become a little lazy in the way you play and then when you put on the drums it would be a different feel? Anyway, then there is the field time with the entire corps. One big difference I noticed was water breaks. It seemed like they had way more breaks than during my time. And everyone had their own water jug. We had to wait in line for the big yellow jug to get a little paper cup full. And it seems that they have trainers on board in case of an injury (which is good). We all would run a section of the show and then run back and do it again, and again, and again. So that's very similar. Although in todays corps the section of the show being run is almost definitely harder and faster than it was when I marched, so they've got me there.

So through my observations it seemed like due to a few technicalities, we worked a little harder back when I marched than they do now. It seems like they are just working WAY smarter to get better results. Now, PLEASE do not take this as a shot to todays corps that they don't work hard. They do, VERY hard. I realize that it's impossible for me to pose this question without getting backlash from people that march now. I mean no disrespect. Just curious what some of you think. Maybe there's some people out there that could compare the way things were done even before my time ('86-'88).

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after watching a couple of Bluecoats rehearsals this past Summer, it got me wondering if corps today are working harder or smarter during the season, including throughout the Winter/Spring.

I know that when I marched, we practiced during the Winter/Spring it seemed like every other weekend (could be wrong) and the guard was at every camp. I realize that guards have WGI so they're working even harder during that time.

We didn't have a "Spring training" period like they do now. So I'd have to say in that respect, todays corps work a lot harder during that time.

Now for the Summer. During the couple of rehearsals I attended, I noticed that things were done fairly similar to the way they were done when I marched. You have some section time, then you put it together on the field with the entire corps. Here's where I see the major differences. Being a drummer, I only pay attention to the drumline during the sectionals, so I can't speak for the horns or guard. The big difference here was the use of stands for the tenors and basses. Don't get me wrong, if I had the chance to use a stand, I would have jumped at it. Off topic question: For tenor players, doesn't the use of a stand change the way you play? I would think you COULD become a little lazy in the way you play and then when you put on the drums it would be a different feel? Anyway, then there is the field time with the entire corps. One big difference I noticed was water breaks. It seemed like they had way more breaks than during my time. And everyone had their own water jug. We had to wait in line for the big yellow jug to get a little paper cup full. And it seems that they have trainers on board in case of an injury (which is good). We all would run a section of the show and then run back and do it again, and again, and again. So that's very similar. Although in todays corps the section of the show being run is almost definitely harder and faster than it was when I marched, so they've got me there.

So through my observations it seemed like due to a few technicalities, we worked a little harder back when I marched than they do now. It seems like they are just working WAY smarter to get better results. Now, PLEASE do not take this as a shot to todays corps that they don't work hard. They do, VERY hard. I realize that it's impossible for me to pose this question without getting backlash from people that march now. I mean no disrespect. Just curious what some of you think. Maybe there's some people out there that could compare the way things were done even before my time ('86-'88).

I think that corps today have taken a more sane approach to the activity in general.

The reality is that these kids are doing this at the top level. A trainer..makes sense..thes kids are athletes. Tenor stands..NFL players don't dress in full pads for all of practice either. (god knows they wear those #### things enough, and they are heavy..jesus are they heavy!!)

As time has progressed, corps have become better at doing things that now think outside the box of drumcorps, wich I think is good.

I guess thats one way of looking at it. I know from a members journal that I read (early 80's), the schedules werent as bad. They had less rehearsal time, and more down time for food and breaks. On the flip side of that, I've heard some pretty brutal stories about the cadets in the late 90's, where things were definitely hard and harder. Nowadays, at least for the cadets, i would describe them as smarter, and harder :tongue:

Tenor stands..NFL players don't dress in full pads for all of practice either. (god knows they wear those #### things enough, and they are heavy..jesus are they heavy!!)

Good point. Never thought of it that way.

One big difference I noticed was water breaks. It seemed like they had way more breaks than during my time. And everyone had their own water jug. We had to wait in line for the big yellow jug to get a little paper cup full.

Global Warming. :tongue:

One big difference I noticed was water breaks. It seemed like they had way more breaks than during my time. And everyone had their own water jug. We had to wait in line for the big yellow jug to get a little paper cup full.

I think that's why we have more breaks. We can spend one minute to go to the sideline, get a quick drink from our personal jugs and come back on the field, as opposed to standing in line for a cup of water. It takes much less time to give the corps a water break, so we get more of them.

You would be surprised how different the rehearsal schedule and intensity varies from corps to corps. I marched 2 years with the same corps, albeit with 2 totally different staffs. The first year, we were pretty much beaten into the ground. The second year, although we did have blocks where it was akin to hell-on-earth, was much more relaxed. We got a lot more done the second year, by the way.

We were told by the staff that we were working smarter schedule-wise, but while we were in rehearsal we better not be dragging ###.

I think that's why we have more breaks. We can spend one minute to go to the sideline, get a quick drink from our personal jugs and come back on the field, as opposed to standing in line for a cup of water. It takes much less time to give the corps a water break, so we get more of them.

You would be surprised how different the rehearsal schedule and intensity varies from corps to corps. I marched 2 years with the same corps, albeit with 2 totally different staffs. The first year, we were pretty much beaten into the ground. The second year, although we did have blocks where it was akin to hell-on-earth, was much more relaxed. We got a lot more done the second year, by the way.

We were told by the staff that we were working smarter schedule-wise, but while we were in rehearsal we better not be dragging ###.

A whole minute for water breaks? :tongue:

Back in the '80's we did the personal water jugs as well. I wouldn't say we had an abundance of water breaks....but I would guess that my perception about what an abundance of water was while I was hot and sweaty on a field and what abundance might be sitting in the stands might be very different :tongue:

I think the drum stands are a great idea!

Peace,

CuriousMe

Edited by CuriousMe

I remember rolling into TOC in 04 and not knowing what to do with a water break longer than 60 secs but to answer your question yea... corps' in general do work smarter now days. Hard and stupid is just not the way to go.