god bless the field liners?

In Southwind, the staff lines the field. Kind of sucks most mornings, but it gives the kids an extra half-hour- 45 minutes to sleep and eat breakfast. It's all about the kids, folks. They need the rest and relaxation more than the staff does.

What a great policy. I don't know why every corps doesn't do this.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lining fields and getting wet feet before anyone is up-- aah bliss. But I always got fresh coffee. lol

I liked field lining. It helped me get into a positive head space. Being up before the corps and away from them for a quiet moment with a few other people was nice.

Scaffolding was also interesting. It's the contra line's job at Spartans. We never had an accident that ended in injury. Though in 2005 the scaffolding toppled over while in transport to the field. This summer we also hit some low power lines. The lines weren't compromised, and no one got what would have been a surely fatal shock. The top two levels however came unpinned, and twisted to the side a bit. I wasn't present at the time this happened. But once I heard about it I came to help fix things up. We laughed it off a bit nervously. That incident could have been much worse.

lining fields and getting wet feet before anyone is up-- aah bliss. But I always got fresh coffee. lol

naples new york right? teh place with teh awesome mountains and teh vineyards?

Edited by josh161

bluecoats have a really complicated-looking system that saves a lot of time and energy but i dont know how it works. never had to line a field (or do anything with scaffolding) before. maybe someone else can post about it, i dont know how secretive or anything they are about it.

I was a field liner for all 5 years I was in corps, and I enjoyed it. We were able to line a field rather quickly so we only had to wake up a few minutes before the rest of the corps ... granted we still had a few stragglers who had a rough time making it out early.. haha

From what I was told this past year, I assume the system you are referring to is "The Marklar." We used it in 2001 and part of 02, but, for some reason, weren't allowed to use it from 02-05. The system isn't complicated at all Jared, it just looks that way. Like Jared, I'm not sure if they want me revealing all of their secrets so I'll just say it's a way to line a field without using tape measures and math.

i have done field lining and bus loading and i have to say, i like field lining way more. yeah, you get up a little earlier than the corps, but it is peaceful and you get to check out where you are before anyone else does. A few times we did not have much time for breakfast, and I did learn my lesson one morning by not eating anything at all. Even though you wake up early, when it is time to leave, you don't have as much to do because your job is already done. Although we still helped put a little with other jobs.

Scaffolding was also interesting. It's the contra line's job at Spartans. We never had an accident that ended in injury. Though in 2005 the scaffolding toppled over while in transport to the field. This summer we also hit some low power lines. The lines weren't compromised, and no one got what would have been a surely fatal shock. The top two levels however came unpinned, and twisted to the side a bit. I wasn't present at the time this happened. But once I heard about it I came to help fix things up. We laughed it off a bit nervously. That incident could have been much worse.

:whistle::tongue::smile: (um, this is not 'shut up', more like 'yikes' time a million for hitting powerlines)

we always carried it on its side. Much easier, IMO, though there are probably tons of different kinds of scaffoldings being used by corps (or maybe there aren't... the market it probably not that big).

Those lower lines tend to be telephone/cable wires...no biggie. It was pretty funny, in retrospect though.

Also amusing was the time we all forgot to do scaffolding at the housing site for the Westminster, MD show this year. We arrived at the school around 7(?) after driving all night, only to get off the bus in torrential downpours. So, we sat around for a while before eventually having a visual block in the gym and a brief hornline warmup until the rain let up. Long story short, the five of us are strolling out to the field when it suddenly dawns on us...we forgot to do scaffolding.

We raced, as fast as possible, to the truck and managed to unload and build the entire scaffolding within 5 minutes. And that was probably one of the safer times.

Pit had field lining duty in Troopers when I marched. We had it down pretty well, but for the life of me I can't remember how we did it. But I bet you put a can of paint in my hand and hand me a spool of pre-marked rope (may have been tabs of tape?) and I'd go into autopilot.

Pit also loaded all percussion equipment, and I think it was contras who had horn duty. Bus loading crew was the bomb and had everyone's respect. If you didn't have your stuff out by the bus on time, you loaded it yourself and THAT was a hassle nobody wanted to deal with!

I remember building the Marklar for Bluecoats in my driveway with my dad and Ryan Adamsons. If the corps isn't using it anymore, I'd like it. It cost my dad a lot of money. Any Bluecoats people reading this know what happened to the Marklar? I heard Charlie took it, but he claims he didn't, but we all know that Charlie is not trustworthy.