god bless the field liners?

If OSHA ever inspected drumcorps scaffold rigs, 90 percent would get written up.

Most scaffold rigs need feet (so they don't sink into soft earth), need to be level and need to be constructed properly. While we are at it, they need to be inspected often and transported properly. I wonder if DCI reminds corps to do this annually before tour?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I was told this past year, I assume the system you are referring to is "The Marklar." We used it in 2001 and part of 02, but, for some reason, weren't allowed to use it from 02-05. The system isn't complicated at all Jared, it just looks that way. Like Jared, I'm not sure if they want me revealing all of their secrets so I'll just say it's a way to line a field without using tape measures and math.

I remember hearing the words "inaccurate" and "dangerous," neither of which made any sense to me. It was a 15 minute field accurate to 1/4". Less time breathing paint fumes and the crew got to stretch with the corps. I don't think the setup was any kind of secret. Just a 160' x 150' rectangle with a diagonal built from oversized keyring looking things and alereon control cable. We would square it up and stake it down. There are little metal things clamped onto the cable in the appropriate locations for painting. Once half the field was marked we pulled up two of the stakes and flipped the thing over.

I remember building the Marklar for Bluecoats in my driveway with my dad and Ryan Adamsons. If the corps isn't using it anymore, I'd like it. It cost my dad a lot of money. Any Bluecoats people reading this know what happened to the Marklar? I heard Charlie took it, but he claims he didn't, but we all know that Charlie is not trustworthy.

Apparently they made a brand new marklar this year. Not sure who has the original. Don't think it's Charlie. Maybe Ryan Adamsons knows...

how about this:

field lining strips

I've heard that the Ravens band uses something like this so they dont mark up the parking lot, though I am not sure how well it would work with a competitive marching unit...seems like there would be a significant trip factor...

Also has anyone ever used some type of dry line...kinda like foul lines in baseball?

I was in the Ravens Band and I don't remember ANY field linings on the pavement on the stadium parking lot game-day practice space.

I think we just had orange cones at the 10yd marks and we just located from those.

However, the weekday practices are held at the super-plush new Ravens INDOOR field.

A complete replica of M&T Bank stadium field (linings, logos and all) under a huge domed housing.

Heated in the winter and cooled in the summer. Very swank!

My (drumline) routine was usually something like "move to the ravens beak, then follow the shield around to the bottom of the T".

To heck with yard markers; graphics references rule:-)

I was in the Ravens Band and I don't remember ANY field linings on the pavement on the stadium parking lot game-day practice space.

I think we just had orange cones at the 10yd marks and we just located from those.

However, the weekday practices are held at the super-plush new Ravens INDOOR field.

A complete replica of M&T Bank stadium field (linings, logos and all) under a huge domed housing.

Heated in the winter and cooled in the summer. Very swank!

My (drumline) routine was usually something like "move to the ravens beak, then follow the shield around to the bottom of the T".

To heck with yard markers; graphics references rule:-)

Well, im still in the ravens band (for the moment), and we do have a system for lining the parking lot outside the stadium. Im not sure it would really work for drum corps though....they have these little pins driven into the ground every 5 yards front and backfield, then they just wind this strap thingy through it. Theres no front or back side every other 5 yards, but other than that it works fine. I dont think the stakes are very portable though, so its probably a no go for drum corps....

Apparently they made a brand new marklar this year. Not sure who has the original. Don't think it's Charlie. Maybe Ryan Adamsons knows...

Were the cymbals ever succesful in stealing that thing?

Were the cymbals ever succesful in stealing that thing?

Not that I'm aware of. If I remember correctly, we kept a pretty close watch on it so no one else would use it... haha

Did the cymbals try to steal it? I know it was quite valuable ... I mean as woody previously stated, who wouldn't want to line a 15 minute field?

I remember building the Marklar for Bluecoats in my driveway with my dad and Ryan Adamsons. If the corps isn't using it anymore, I'd like it. It cost my dad a lot of money. Any Bluecoats people reading this know what happened to the Marklar? I heard Charlie took it, but he claims he didn't, but we all know that Charlie is not trustworthy.

its still used, though im not sure if its the original.

we kept a pretty close watch on it so no one else would use it...

We didn't keep an eye on the original marklar so much as we chained it to the truck. Me and Ryan had the only keys at the time, as there were some issues the previous year with people borrowing lining equipment without permission and bringing it back in various states of functionality.

If OSHA ever inspected drumcorps scaffold rigs, 90 percent would get written up.

Ha. Well said. Ours certainly would get written up. If you look closely, you'll probably find some chicken wire, spit, gorilla glue, and some scotch tape.