rifle and saber?

phoenixfire

Ok I have a quick question. Which type of rifle is better Elite or Spinz and what size 36 or 39? I have no clue. As for the saber what brand and size do I need...I am just starting out on saber as soon as I get one. Thanks for the helping!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go with Elite. The size doesn't necessarily matter all that much. 39" is nice (and used by most of the "Top" guard programs) but 36" is just as good. Mostly just a personal preference thing.

Sabre - King is the best one, but they are rather pricey. Excalibur would be the 2nd choice. I'd get a 39" sabre. 36" tends to look really little. Again, though, it is mostly a matter of preference.

I'd go with Premier rifles. We've used the Elites (hated them), Ultimates (liked them but now you can't find them) and now Premier. the Premier's spin like the Ultimates, are very durable (the Elites broke very easily) and when ordering a large number at a time, the Premier's are all very similar in weight. We've had a difficult time with that issue with the Elites and the Ultimates.

We spin 36", but it is all a matter of preference. the 39" can get heavy, and if you aren't ready for a heavy gun, I'd start with a 36 and then move to a 39.

In terms of Sabres, we've used only 2 kinds. Excalibur and King. The Excalibur are good, but the end screw loosens a lot and the hilt/handle combination is rattley. right now our sabre line is made up of 3, and 2 of them switched to Kings. (they wanted them). The 3rd girl is a senior and I told her it wasn't worth it to spend $200 for just a winter season. The Kings are niiiiiiiiiiiiice. The girls love them. They feel a bit different, the blade is thicker, the hilt is nice, and it doesn't rattle-yet. We'll see after they drop it a few times!

visually, unless you closely inspect them, there is no difference between the 2. I'll have a mixture of brands on the floor, but I'm ok with that.

We spin 36" sabres. Honestly, if you know you will be spinning for a long time, I'd go with a King. Lifetime warranty. Excalibur only offers a 1 year. To me, that says a lot. Besides, if something happens and you aren't spinning anymore, the King will have a great resale. the Excalibur, notsomuch.

Premier rifles are the best for sure (formerly Ultimate rifles) and you can order them in various weights. I've used Premier's for the past couple years and they hold up REALLY well. One of my schools has a set of Premier rifles and we've used the same ones for 3 seasons - they still look great!!

Thanks for all your help!! I am getting a premier rifle. As for the saber I am probably going with Excalibur for right now. I can't afford the King until I get my job in a few days.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok I have a quick question. Which type of rifle is better Elite or Spinz and what size 36 or 39? I have no clue. As for the saber what brand and size do I need...I am just starting out on saber as soon as I get one. Thanks for the helping!!

I use the Elite Rifles at 39". I like the size and feel of a bigger rifle for my students, and the Elite is what they spin. I personally have a Premire rifle at 39", which I love. The Elite was more economical for my guard.

To anyone out there, my recomendation, DO NOT purchase the spinz rifle. It is a poorly made product. I had ordered some a few years ago for another school I taught at and the Spinz rifles lasted all of a month before they broke at the neck... all the way through. And before you ask, yes, they were taped... It was a waste of money, because they would not replace broken rifles. Just my two cents.

As for saber, I have spun the excalibur and the king. We got a set of Kings last year due to a grant that we got, and I won't ever go back. They are well balanced, have a life time warrenty, and are worth the extra cash. We spin the 39", but I am sure the 36" is just as good.

• 11 months later...
Premier rifles are the best for sure (formerly Ultimate rifles) and you can order them in various weights. I've used Premier's for the past couple years and they hold up REALLY well. One of my schools has a set of Premier rifles and we've used the same ones for 3 seasons - they still look great!!

The Premier rifles are not and never were Ultimate rifles. The gentleman making them was contracted at one time to make the Ultimates. He was never part of their design process.

The Premier rifles are not and never were Ultimate rifles. The gentleman making them was contracted at one time to make the Ultimates. He was never part of their design process.

Sabre

Invest the extra money for the KING.

RIFLE

From what I knew. George Miller's other son was taking back the company from his brother and bringing the "REAL" Ultimate's back. go here for more information

http://georgemillerandsons.com/index.html

Edited by classicslv

Don't spin elites, get a king. Lol. Pretty basic.

Rifles - Ever since George Miller's Ultimates "disappeared", I've been using the Elites and I really like them. I'm not sure I'd go back even IF the Ultimates made a come back. My band practices on an asphalt parking lot and they really hold up well.

Sabres - When I marched Brigs I LOVED my J & S sabreline blade. So much so that I ended up buying one from a group that was getting rid of them. The Kings are BEAUTIFUL but a little too balanced for my taste and I like a little weight in the hilt (although I do agree that the Kings hold up WAY better than the J & S ones did).