members pay the corps

I have been asked to try out for a local community band in Ohio and I have been told that they pay their members. Its not alot, but the money earned is split up between the members. My father was in drum corps and I want to march drum corps too, but I do not believe I am quite ready. A friend of mine asked me to try-out for the comm band with him and after hearing that they pay you to play, I was wondering if this was a common practice in any drum corps or if this is unique to this band. I have visited almost every corps website both DCI and DCA and most ask members to pay dues, but wasn't sure if anyone could shed any light on this for me.

The question I was wondering is would a drum corps be allowed to compete in the same circuit if there was a "Yankees" type drum corps with a "George Steinbrenner" paying for the best musicians money could buy. It wouldn't seem fair, would it?

At what point does the corps become a professional corps vs. a non-profit???

I know that no amount of money can buy loyalty and/or passion. But it seems that this is the last unexplored option in drum corps...to pay the membership!

And that is not to say that if a musician is paid then they are not passionate, I am sure they are, why wouldn't they be, they are making money!

Anyone have any thoughts?

Which band in Ohio?

Which City?

What instrument do you play?

Who is the contact for the band?

Do they have a website?

I'm going to be spending some time in Cincinatti this spring , and I might like to look them up. Maybe see you play.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity...when?

And beers don;t count! :spitting:

in 1977 cru had a snare ..........who's name i won't reveal..........got paid to play. i never agreed with it but it happened.

What's going on here?

Is this a covert attempt at baiting a discussion?

Is it someone trying out for a concert band?

As far as finances go, I think what a corps, band, whatever does with its' money is their own business. Not really a topic for public discussion here.

What's going on here?

Is this a covert attempt at baiting a discussion?

Is it someone trying out for a concert band?

As far as finances go, I think what a corps, band, whatever does with its' money is their own business. Not really a topic for public discussion here.

Not a very clever attempt at baiting either. He poses a supposed innocent quetion , but his post reeks with sour grapes. He's tried this twice before and erased his posts after I've debated him.

He's tried to lay down a few posts to establish himself as a professed newbie. But, he's a local who wants to blame his failures on us.

If you have an issue wih us Art, why not show your face and state your case in the open? Or, go to the rules congress and get us banned for using music stands and trying to bring new talent into the activity. If you don't like us; don't look. We are not any of your business or concern.

I know that a few people have made comments about us having pros in our ranks. But, except for the drummers fom BOM, these are all guys who work regular gigs, some of them music teachers, some from other professions. Most of them never make it outside of Albany with us, so they are just not a factor in competition.

And the couple of staff members who travel with us are no better than the instuctors who play for other DCA corps' and mini-corps'.

Everyone else is an amatuer, like me. Maybe a few of us get gigs here and there, but we're not makng a living at it.

And, a couple guys don't make an ensemble, anyway. In the stark environment of a relatively small brass group, you're only as strong as your weakest player. I'd like to think we've done something with the whole group, not just hid them behind a couple of guys.

And, regarding the comment about why people might be committed (just for the money was suggested)

Our Brass caption Head LOSES money every time he's with us. We pay him embarrasingly little to teach.

And our low brass tech took all of his gig income with THREE of our bands last summer TO PAY FOR HIS OWN MARCHING TUBA.

Did I mention that he is an Eastman School Performance Graduate and played a season with the Albany Symphony?

My son lost money every weekend last summer, blowing off weekly gigs as he played with Fusin Core and CB! . (before you start on me, I KNOW a lot of you could be doing the same - that ALSO helps make my point that we are no different than anyone else.)

These guys could be doing something else and making some money. They are turned on by their newly found drum corps experience. We hope to turn on MORE talented new players to this great activity as well.

The suggestion that we only have people because we're paying them is insulting and a lie.

As far as sharing the gig income; our ultimate goal is NOT to pay players to be members, but to make it (eventually) a cost -free membership; by reimbursing players for the many expenses of paticipating; gas, uniforms. instrument costs and maintenence, travel and lodging. etc.

We are, admittedly , a long way from that, tho. We still charge $50 dues, to get us through our winter expences.

Edited by brassomaniac

Wow - sock puppets on DCP. Who would have thunk it?!?!? :spitting:

So the dude's talking about Capital Brass? Hmmm ok.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure DCI and DCA corps have to be non profits to be part of those organizations and to compete. So if you have a Steinbrenner he'll have to spend everything the corps takes in. He'd have to be careful about paying the players to ensure it doesn't violate the charter described when filing as non profit status.

I think most corps have to say they "educate youth in music"; so as long as you do that and pay each member $100k per year, no problem. You're that rich youll have a good tax accountant to make sure yer doing it right pe r the IRS anyway.

I'm sure most corps have members taht either get paid something or don't have to pay any dues to the corps while most of the members shell out hundreds or thousands in fees just to march.

So where's this corps that pays 'all' their members?

So the dude's talking about Capital Brass? Hmmm ok.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure DCI and DCA corps have to be non profits to be part of those organizations and to compete. So if you have a Steinbrenner he'll have to spend everything the corps takes in. He'd have to be careful about paying the players to ensure it doesn't violate the charter described when filing as non profit status.

Well if that's true, then we're already disqualified from going to Rochester and are therefore not a problem to anyone.

Cause we're NOT a non-profit and have never pretended to be one. Brass-O-Mania! and CB! are private businesses. We file tax returns (don't make much money, tho). I have no problem spending the performance money each year. Of course, I make a little as personal income myself, and I declare it.

i think that I asked the question early on, about non-profit staus and got the opposite answer from what you state here. in any case, there was no requirement to declare or substantiate non-profit status when we applied for I&E last year. If there IS a requirement going forward, then Art gets his wish and chases us off to do something else.

On the other hand, if I was a corps planning to go on the field this year that has claimed to be a "pending" 501©3 organization for 4 years; soliciting donations and not filing financial statements... I might have some bigger problems than getting 35 members out there. Hypothetically, of course.

Edited by brassomaniac

Thank you

i think so too.

Mr. Brassomaniac,

really, you certainly had alot to say if you think it is not a topic to be discussed here. It is interesting how you can say your post all you want, but then once your done, it is then time to close the post. You did this to my last post too. I DO NOT KNOW YOU!!!

I didn't quite understand your first response, but now I think I do. I think you believe me to be someone who I am not. I am not sure, you may be talking to someone else on this thread(it is kinda hard to follow), but if you are talking to me, then my name is not art. My name is not important. I live in Waverly, Ohio. (it is a small town about an hour east of Cinci.) I have not ever marched drum corps (yet!!), but I have been following it for a while and love the activity.

I think I had a conversation with you (brassomaniac) a while back, right? Why are you attacking my posts?

nonetheless, it seems I have upset you and this was not a means for that. I do not know you or your group other than what I have learned from your website. I am not looking to get your group banned for anything (especially music stand??? - not sure what you are talking about??) My suggestion is if you have enemies out there, go find them and make them your friend. I assure you, I am not your enemy.

I just wanted to get the opinion of some drum corps people about my original topic. Thank you for your opinion.

I thought it was an interesting topic. And from the others who have posted I have learned quite a bit. I did not write this post to you or about you/your corps. I am new to the drum corps scene (relatively speaking, my dad has all the videos), and when the prospect of being paid became a reality for me, I was just wondering what everyone thought. I have learned though that fire house bands usually do pay members and some smaller town bands too.