members pay the corps

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Brassomaniac,

really, you certainly had alot to say if you think it is not a topic to be discussed here. It is interesting how you can say your post all you want, but then once your done, it is then time to close the post. You did this to my last post too. I DO NOT KNOW YOU!!!

I didn't quite understand your first response, but now I think I do. I think you believe me to be someone who I am not. I am not sure, you may be talking to someone else on this thread(it is kinda hard to follow), but if you are talking to me, then my name is not art. My name is not important. I live in Waverly, Ohio. (it is a small town about an hour east of Cinci.) I have not ever marched drum corps (yet!!), but I have been following it for a while and love the activity.

I think I had a conversation with you (brassomaniac) a while back, right? Why are you attacking my posts?

nonetheless, it seems I have upset you and this was not a means for that. I do not know you or your group other than what I have learned from your website. I am not looking to get your group banned for anything (especially music stand??? - not sure what you are talking about??) My suggestion is if you have enemies out there, go find them and make them your friend. I assure you, I am not your enemy.

I just wanted to get the opinion of some drum corps people about my original topic. Thank you for your opinion.

I thought it was an interesting topic. And from the others who have posted I have learned quite a bit. I did not write this post to you or about you/your corps. I am new to the drum corps scene (relatively speaking, my dad has all the videos), and when the prospect of being paid became a reality for me, I was just wondering what everyone thought. I have learned though that fire house bands usually do pay members and some smaller town bands too.

Come on Art.

Give it up. This is the third time .

You've only gotten into Three issue discussions on here.

The first two were direct attacks on my own threads. I confronted you and you erased everything.

All your other posts have been blando comments. But issues that JUST HAPPEN to surround whether we're qualified to be in the activity... THAT you're passionate about.

And, I never suggested closing the post. Just stated my opinion about your true objectives.

So how about answering the questions posed? To show you're for real?

including... where is this corps you're talking about that pays everyone?

And I know a band teacher in Waverly. What is the name of the band you're trying out for? maybe he could put in a good word for you.

For such a newbie, you sure have your pants in a bunch about how unfair it is, when you've never marched ,and I suppose, you can't name the corps you're referring to..

Edited by brassomaniac

Come on Art.

Give it up. This is the third time .

You've only gotten into Three issue discussions on here.

The first two were direct attacks on my own threads. I confronted you and you erased everything.

All your other posts have been blando comments. But issues that JUST HAPPEN to surround whether we're qualified to be in the activity... THAT you're passionate about.

And, I never suggested closing the post. Just stated my opinion about your true objectives.

So how about answering the questions posed? To show you're for real?

including... where is this corps you're talking about that pays everyone?

And I know a band teacher in Waverly. What is the name of the band you're trying out for? maybe he could put in a good word for you.

For such a newbie, you sure have your pants in a bunch about how unfair it is, when you've never marched ,and I suppose, you can't name the corps you're referring to..

Mr. Brassomianiac,

this is why I erase my posts with you. You are convinced I am someone that I am not. You completely sidetrack the post into a war between us. I DO NOT KNOW YOU!!! There is only one band teacher in Waverly, so I will tell her you said hello! and I never said there was a corps that paid everyone, it was a hypathetical question, what if?

Like I said, my name is not art, so please stop ruining my posts.

Edited by M&Mbozo

Mr. Brassomianiac,

this is why I erase my posts with you. You are convinced I am someone that I am not. You completely sidetrack the post into a war between us. I DO NOT KNOW YOU!!! There is only one band teacher in Waverly, so I will tell her you said hello! and I never said there was a corps that paid everyone, it was a hypathetical question, what if?

Umm... you don't have "posts" that I keep ruining. Our first two conversations were on MY threads, promoting CB!, where you suggested we shouldn't be posting on here, since we weren't a drum corps. In those cases, I made a logical argument about why we did belong in the genre, and made examples of other groups that straddle the line between drum corps and the bigger music world. AND I apologized on those threads to anyone offended by our approach to drum corps.

But, this is the first thread of YOURS that we've had an encounter on. I played along the first two times.

And I think there IS a male Band Teacher at Waverly. I'll have to check and see if he's still there.

Of course, you live in Waverly, so I will probably find out tomorrow that I'm wrong. right?

What do you play?

Is the community band in Waverly?

Since you're obviously a straight-up guy, I'm sure we would get along just fine, once we get past these "mis-understandings". Why don't we just take this discussion to PM, and I'll even give you my personal phone number so that i can apologize to you personally for my "error".

Edited by brassomaniac

Totally independent of the Hatfields and McCoys, just in case anyone is still reading this thread for it's arguably stated purpose...

When I was in southern Illinois, to be in the local community band, you had to join up with the American Federation of Musicians union. There was a nominal fee, but after that, any performance you did, you were paid for. I was part of the Tri-County Musician's Union, and, as you might have figured out, we were one group that performed in the 3 adjacent counties for parades, evening concerts, etc., just like any other community band, we just made about $20 per performance.

I have never been paid to perform with any drum corps, though I "bartered" my dues with several, by providing horns or just showing up in their hour of need. As stated earlier in the topic, certain members that travel excessive distances get a break on dues, and my understanding is that some marching-staff (staff that marches, not teaches marching) get a stipend that doesn't come anywhere close to a true professional fee.

Now that I've played the part of Poochie, let Itchy and Scratchy get back to it - I have my popcorn ready....[/sarcasm]

Mr. Brassomianiac,

oops!

Only one Band Director at Waverly Schools, all-right.

Still the same one.... And it's NOT a her!

I'm sure you just made a mistake, though, and everything you've said is true.

Couldn't find that community band in Waverly, either. Or even in Pike County.

there IS a band in the retirement community at bristal village. are you that old?

Is it the band in Adelphia? they do some parades.

Or, I understand that some of the area music teachers sometimes get together to play for dances and such. I have the number of the Asst Music Director who organizes it, if you're up to that.

Did you know that there is a new field corps , less than 2 hours from you, in Cincinatti? Cincinatti Tradition; have you checked them out to get your start in drum corps?

And, I also have a good friend who got his masters at Cincinatti Conservatory and moved back there recently. He could hook you up with some playing opportunities, I'm sure. He's networked with many of the band people in the area. I'm planning on visting him this spring. Maybe we could get together and I'll buy you a beer; and we'll make nice!

Just trying to be helpful, since I mis-judged you so.

addendum: never got a PM from you, so we could arrange for that phone conversation, but I did get 3 calls, this morning, from some Art who thought I was referring to him. (BTW: Never mentioned which Art I was talking about, did I?.)

Since you turned out to be so for-real, I guess you two can't be the same person, can you? So I owe Art a big wet one, too; next time I see him.

Edited by brassomaniac

I have never been paid to perform with any drum corps, though I "bartered" my dues with several, by providing horns...

OK, this I gotta try. How much would a contra and bari be worth? Hopefully more than I paid. :spitting:

For the record the corps I was referring to was not CB!

Edited by CorpsBuff