1st Freelancers Alumni Horn Rehearsal

Impressions from the pics..

Parker hasnt changed a bit. Looks excited to see and hear horns again!

I am impressed that Kelli can still get her corps jacket on. Mine hasnt fit in about 15 YEARS!!

Augie, looks about 25! ########!! :ph34r:

I am pretty sure that John Rochon was in Heaven

And my final first impression...

Dang, I wish I could be there!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bite your tongue! I still look young!!!

Like everybody doesn't bite their tongue when they see you! :ph34r:

I am impressed that Kelli can still get her corps jacket on. Mine hasnt fit in about 15 YEARS!!

Augie, looks about 25! ########!! :huh2:

We were all excited! The Phoenix rose from the ashes last night!

After work, I rushed home to pick up the cupcakes and my camera then headed over to Sizzler for dinner with Mark MacRae and Quinn Higgins (who flew in from Arizona). My phone kept ringing as people were calling to tell me they were on their way or other Freelancers related things. Great conversation and good food. Time to head to the hall with only 10 minutes before 7. I walked in the door and there was my family. :ph34r: The reunion all over again; I was home. Hugs all around, pictures and more pictures, finally putting faces to names I've known over the internet, more hugs. Ahhhh the love-fest. Time to get to business. John has a chat with all of us, welcoming, introduction, answering/asking questions and he finally asks us one more thing... do you want to sit down or stand up (in the arc)? It's unanimous that we want to stand so the hornline goes to arc it up! Then it happens... after 14 years of waiting... I finally hear it... the sound of a Freelancers hornline again. Something I never thought I'd hear again. *sniff* They warm up. Play a new set of Cal Chords that John wrote and I couldn't stop smiling. Next up was the chorale, Ave Maria - a tune very dear to my heart. So pretty. And then on to Bellavia! I think that's what all the horn players were waiting for. Those of us hanging out on the sidelines had to go up front to hear this one! So awesome! One more time back on Ave Maria and I was in tears. The time flew by. My cupcakes were devoured, everyone chatted and got caught up on the life stories. I got home around 11 but stayed up chatting about drum corps until 12:30, then up today at 5:30 to take Quinn to the airport. I'm a walking zombie today but it was so worth it to experience last night.

Thank you John Zimny for heading up this project! Thank you Don for finally giving in to me after I begged you for a hornline for almost 2 years! Thank you to all the horn players that showed up last night and made it such a success! Thank you to the support crew for working so hard on the sidelines! Thank you Tony & Andrew for video & photography!

Freelancers Hornline Alumni & Friends - See you all at the next rehearsal: Tuesday, February 5th, 2008 at 7:00 p.m.

Edited by Mistress Kelli

Here's a quick review since I JUST returned from Sac about 10 minutes ago:

Carl Allison and I met up here in Bakersfield at 8am (Carl left from Lancaster at 6am). Before leaving we had to shift all the horns in my truck to accommodate the two K-90's the Kingsmen Alumni so graciously loaned us for the rehearsal.

We arrived in Sac at about 1:30, making a b-line for Pacific Promotions, the official souvie vendor of the Kingsmen Alumni Corps to get some info regarding Freelancers products.

After a short lunch downtown, we made it to Freelancer Hall four hours before rehearsal was to begin, talked with Tom Hope and prepared the rehearsal room. Yeah, Carl and I had four hours of hurry-up and wait.

In attendance were 25-26 horns--Bill Collins started to play but ended-up printing and copying parts. In the 'audience' were Parker and Don Silva, Jeff Collins, Paul Zimny, Tony Moore (1974 Drum Major), Jenny Kwan, Dan Hudson, Andrew Hoover (wasn't that you?) and a number of others.

We played through a brass chorale many of you will immediately recognize--Ave Maria. The trademark piece was Bellavia--absolutely a dream come true.

Although we were not near perfect in our playing, we had a very well blended and controlled sound. In fact while Carl, Tim Van Kuren and I were talking late last night, we kept mentioning the control we had. It was incredible. Sopranos found the releases while the baritones never blatted. We actually had a real ensemble sound.

One thing noted afterward was that virtually everyone in the line was a lead or soloist at some time. It really was an all-star event. Another interesting tidbit is that at least every year from 1974 through 1994 was represented within the line. If Terry (TJ) Jones had grabbed a horn, it would have been 1971 through 1994. If we were to count those watching, 61 years of the legacy were accounted for (Parker and Don), taking us back to around 1947.

Just a small sample of the soloists through the years who played last night were:

Mike Haviland (76 sop solo)

Carl Allison (78-83 bari solos)

Mario (can't remember his last name right now) (83-85 sop/mello/flugal solos)

Quinn Higgins (91 mello solo)--Quinn flew in from Phoenix to play

John Rochon (91 bari solo)

I should also mention a few new Freelancers and/or special guests who contributed their talents: Brian Downing, and Jeff and Francesca DeMello.

If you missed this one, don't worry. The next rehearsal is in two weeks.

Edited by ravedodger

Augie, looks about 25! ########!! :huh2:

Hey CJ, do you remember Kavalsviri? I think I talked John Rochon into pulling it out for test drive. :ph34r:

I always like the Freelancers. Why did the corps fold in the first place?

Dennis

$$$$$$ and changes in bingo/gambling laws in the mid-90's.

Here's a quick review since I JUST returned from Sac about 10 minutes ago:

Carl Allison and I met up here in Bakersfield at 8am (Carl left from Lancaster at 6am). Before leaving we had to shift all the horns in my truck to accommodate the two K-90's the Kingsmen Alumni so graciously loaned us for the rehearsal.

We arrived in Sac at about 1:30, making a b-line for Pacific Promotions, the official souvie vendor of the Kingsmen Alumni Corps to get some info regarding Freelancers products.

After a short lunch downtown, we made it to Freelancer Hall four hours before rehearsal was to begin, talked with Tom Hope and prepared the rehearsal room. Yeah, Carl and I had four hours of hurry-up and wait.

In attendance were 25-26 horns--Bill Collins started to play but ended-up printing and copying parts. In the 'audience' were Parker and Don Silva, Paul Zimny, Tony Moore (1974 Drum Major), Jenny Kwan, Dan Hudson, Andrew Hoover (wasn't that you?) and a number of others.

We played through a brass chorale many of you will immediately recognize--Ave Maria. The trademark piece was Bellavia--absolutely a dream come true.

Although we were not near perfect in our playing, we had a very well blended and controlled sound. In fact while Carl, Tim Van Kuren and I were talking late last night, we kept mentioning the control we had. It was incredible. Sopranos found the releases while the baritones never blatted. We actually had a real ensemble sound.

One thing noted afterward was that virtually everyone in the line was a lead or soloist at some time. It really was an all-star event. Another interesting tidbit is that at least every year from 1974 through 1994 was represented within the line. If Terry (TJ) Jones had grabbed a horn, it would have been 1971 through 1994. If we were to count those watching, 61 years of the legacy were accounted for (Parker and Don), taking us back to around 1947.

Just a small sample of the soloists through the years who played last night were:

Mike Havland (76 sop solo)

Carl Allison (78-83 bari solos)

Mario (can't remember his last name right now) (83-85 sop/mello/flugal solos)

Quinn Higgins (91 mello solo)--Quinn flew in from Phoenix to play

John Rochon (91 bari solo)

I should also mention a few new Freelancers and/or special guests who contributed their talents: Brian Downing, and Jeff and Francesca DeMello.

If you missed this one, don't worry. The next rehearsal is in two weeks.

Mario was there????? tell him hi for me next practice....I might try and fly up for one of them soon.

Bite your tongue! I still look young!!!

Why, yes you do and your Freelancers cupcakes were awesome! :ph34r:

But everybody looks so... old!

Hey, I've earned every one of my grey hairs. :huh2:

Awesome experience last night. I will be back, and next time, my son will be there too. :ph34r: