Feelings of taking a year off

It looks like I'm heading for having to take the 2008 season off in order to study under a professor and improve my playing. Anyone ever experience this and if so how did you feel? I've already accepted the fact I'm not marching this year but will march hopefully next season. Still, I will miss it during the summer.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did it in 2006 (and 2007 actually...but lets just pretend for a second just 2006).

I took classes at school in order to not graduate in five years for the summer. It was the best decision I made. Yeah I missed everyone...yeah I almost quit school to fill a hole, but I know now that I will graduate on time and save myself a LOT of money.

Still cell phones though and you can still volunteer/talk to people.

I didn't march last summer - not by choice - but I didn't slump around all day wishing auditions had gone over better! Sure, I did my share of tracking scores (daily!), caught a few shows in my area, and searched for YouTube videos, but I also did the things that I hadn't done since I started marching four years ago. I enjoyed the time off and went camping, kayaking, actually joined the family on a beach vacation, and even went skydiving! Granted, not all of those things are of the norm, but I couldn't let the money I saved go to waste!

In all seriousness though, the few shows that I went to and having to watch all my friends march was pretty depressing! But it made me want to march the following summer that much more. I decided that next year I wouldn't complain about the heat, or basics blocks, or lack of sleep, but rather soak all of those drum corps beauties in and enjoy them while they last - especially because I'm aging out this year.

And also, I've seen many people put school before drum corps and part of me agrees in the sense that there is more to life than drum corps. But the other half says that drum corps ends - there is an actual point in time where it all comes to a end.

You can always go back to school...

Just some food for thought.

I was kinda "forced" into taking the 2007 season off by an unreasonable class schedule during spring quarter. With 20-hour days, 7 days a week being the norm (that was just school, no job) I really wouldn't have been able to commit to a corps in the way you need to. While I do miss the fact that I didn't march, it was nice to take in events (and finals 2 hours away!) as a spectator. I'm going to tell my university to screw off if they try to do that again this year; it's my ageout.

Edited by MagicBobert

Missed two years...93 Regiment and 95 Regiment (age-out). Needless to say, BIIIIIIG mistake.

March. Screw the prof (not literally, and no offense...but your concert playing, pedagogy, etc can wait). My $0.02.

Even though my first year of marching was at 16 in 2005, I regret not marching 2006 (school band trip to Hawaii... I knew from day 2 of the trip I made a huge mistake) and 2007 (though '07 was more logical-- I got to go out of the country, I got my wisdom teeth removed, AND I got to do all of my college orientation stuff). However, from those two years... watching corps on Youtube, watching rehearsals, going down to Texas for shows... it only motivated me to want to do this activity so much more... and as a result I'm now a contracted member for 2008. Not marching does wonders for your motivation...

Now, next summer (2009; I'm talking DC seasons not calendar years), I'll have to take off for a number of valid reasons: getting an internship to improve my chances of getting a job after college AND making money so that I can march my age out in 2010. Sometimes you just have to make choices. Like you said, you have next season, so do what you have to do, but try to remember how you felt coming off the field last year and use that to motivate you to tryout after this year!

And also, I've seen many people put school before drum corps and part of me agrees in the sense that there is more to life than drum corps. But the other half says that drum corps ends - there is an actual point in time where it all comes to a end.

You can always go back to school...

Just some food for thought.

well said... thats what i tell people as well. Drum Corps only last for so long, while school will always be there for you to go too....

Alright, lets think about age here. Nick, it's understandable that you're marching Boston this year. You've always wanted to and you made it. It's your age out year. Makes sense to march. Everyone should march their age out year, even though we know it doesn't happen.

However, the OP was born in 1990. Now lets see, I was born in 87 and age out next year, so that puts the OP's age out as 2011-12ish. There's plenty of time to march.

True, not being around all of the great friends you made the last summer is hard. I had no choice but to not march with them again. I went to a show last summer, and it was painful watching my friends march with Spartans and Surf. I miss it. However, there are more important things. I would imagine the OP is a senior in high school right now, and is thinking of college. For some reason I find that a little more pressing than drum corps. Once someone is settled into college, start marching again. I'm not marching at all this coming summer, and I know it's going to be depressing, but there's always ways to keep busy and take your mind off things. Like practicing!

I think the only reason to not march should be not WANTING to march.

As far as school goes, I would probably have to say it is my second least-favorite reason not to march. The first being money. Sure, they might seem like valid obstacles (and perhaps they are, I'm not in your shoes) but I've seen so many other people make it work in what seemed like impossible situations. As has been said, school will always be there. You have your entire life to make more money. Marching junior drum corps WILL come to an end. Make sure you don't miss it. (Unless you don't want to march. Then, by all means, go to school.) :) And if you can peer into the future and see yourself having attained a degree and sitting on a comfortable savings account and you think you'll be content with the fact that you missed a summer, then go for it.