Worst Injury you marched a show with

One time I cracked wise with our DM on the bus and he clocked me on the jaw just below the left ear (you don't forget things like that). It was sore for about two weeks but no big deal because I was a drummer. If I were a brass player I would have been screwed.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My last three years I kept getting swollen ankles. Why? No idea. And of course, shin splints.

Now, I just have bad knees, heh.

Edited by sopchick_01

In 1992 (I think) at the Weber State University show in Utah, our pit cart's battery exploded right before they were taking the equipment on the field. One of the instructors was quick enough to immediately get the majority of acid washed out of the girls eyes at a nearby water fountain. The three girls the acid hit, actually set up the show, played the show and cleared the equipment off with acid in their eyes still. Immediately after the show they were taken to the hospital and treated and two of them had to wear eye patches over both eyes for a few days.

Denver 1994 - I'm playing the timpani during the REALLY LOUD part of the show... we're talking hands above the head, and I feel the armpit of my uniform rip. I was unconcerned.

After the show I checked the outside of my uniform. No tear. I check the inside of my uniform. No tear.

Uh oh.

There was much pain the following day. I think I just pulled the muscle and a lot of aspirin helped me through the next couple of days.

Torn gastroc nemius muscle. That's the big muscle on the back of the lower leg.

During practice I was playing contra, moving backwards with a huge stride at a very high tempo (Flight of the Bumblebees). I planted my foot to halt and felt the muscle tear right behind my knee.

Doctor: "Why were you running backwards?"

Me: "Well, I was dot diving and . . ."

Doctor: "And you were carrying a heavy weight up high?"

Me: "Um, yeah. To the box."

Doctor: "Then you stopped suddenly?"

Me: "Um, er . . . Its hard to explain"

The doctor said to stay completely off it for four to six weeks.

Right!

I was the backfield conductor (moving around with a cane) for the next few shows and was back in my spot withing a couple of weeks.

Torn gastroc nemius muscle. That's the big muscle on the back of the lower leg.

During practice I was playing contra, moving backwards with a huge stride at a very high tempo (Flight of the Bumblebees). I planted my foot to halt and felt the muscle tear right behind my knee.

Doctor: "Why were you running backwards?"

Me: "Well, I was dot diving and . . ."

Doctor: "And you were carrying a heavy weight up high?"

Me: "Um, yeah. To the box."

Doctor: "Then you stopped suddenly?"

Me: "Um, er . . . Its hard to explain"

The doctor said to stay completely off it for four to six weeks.

Right!

I was the backfield conductor (moving around with a cane) for the next few shows and was back in my spot withing a couple of weeks.

Seriously, how do you go about explaining this to a doctor? lol. If it were me, I would have brought a portable dvd player so the doc could get the visual. I would suck at explaining. :thumbup:

Edited by sopchick_01

OOOH! I just remembered this! I think it was in 2004, during the Walnut show, a guard person from Seattle Cascades had a rifle fall right in their face. Their blood was everywhere! Afterwards, he or she was rushed off and attended by the first aid tent. Most intense thing I ever saw from the stands that night.

OOOH! I just remembered this! I think it was in 2004, during the Walnut show, a guard person from Seattle Cascades had a rifle fall right in their face. Their blood was everywhere! Afterwards, he or she was rushed off and attended by the first aid tent. Most intense thing I ever saw from the stands that night.

Yep....I asked their DM if she was allright as we lined up for retreat....her reaponse: "Ehhh....she'll be fine." (DM HAD to be a guard person...unly someone like that would so easily blow off catching gear with the face!