Harvey Wingo

My husband will understand…I loved Harvey Wingo. He’d understand because we both loved and admired that wonderful guy.

I have known and talked with Harvey for many years but it wasn’t until this past summer in Atlanta that I had a chance to really converse with him. His life was so varied, full, exciting…I begged for an ‘official’ interview, but he resisted. “Nah. They don’t want to know about me. It’s all about the kids,” he said quietly. I kept trying each time we met throughout the summer, but he’d smile and wave me off. I really wish I had just one more chance.

God bless you, Harvey. The marching arts are a little sadder now without you. You will be sorely missed.

MAV

A Harvey Wingo Fan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant tell you how many times I saw Harvey on the sidelines at DCI and the Regionals. He was to me just part of the DCI experience, standing there, imposing yet gentle, waiting for the corps to go. It will strange to see someone else with the BIG clipboard and Blue Numbers.

My prayers go out to his family and colleauges at DCI.

I've known Harvey a little over 10 years. We judged quite a few shows together over those years and the knowledge that I gained from him during that time can't even be put into words. I feel that I've lost a colleague, a mentor, and more importantly a great friend. Harvey always worked so tirelessly behind the scenes at WGI each year and always with a huge smile on his face. It won't be the same without him. I'm sure he and Bob Wiles are now together in heaven either coordinating some pageantry event or hitting the golf course. Rest in peace my friend - you will be greatly missed.

Edited by GEVisual

I have known Harvey for years!! He will be truely missed by everyone. My heart and prayers to out to Lois and his family.

I am so sorry to hear this news.

I had the privilege of working with Harvey in 2001 and 2002 when I did the PA work for the DCI East show, the two years the show was held in Philadelphia.

What a gentlemen, and a class act all the way. It was the first time I had worked with the full DCI touring crew, and he went out of his way to make me feel welcome and feel like part of the team.

Great chief judge, too. He knew the rulebook inside and out.

RIP, Harvey.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Part of me died on Sunday, too

Harvey Wingo will be sorely missed by us all on the event staff

he was such a gentle giant.

Rest In Peace, Harvey

you will be remembered always

Al Ratcliffe

This is truly a sad day for the performing arts activity.

The past couple years I've known Harvey have made an impact on me tremendously. One thing that I will always remember him for was the way he would put the members first. He always gave the drum corps the benefit of the doubt whenever there was an issue on the field, especially when he didn't have to (when we were obviously late to the gate or broke a boundary).

I'm going to miss him...

-GM