What you expect from the winter meetings

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Self explanatory...what do you expect to come out of the winter meetings? I'm not just talking about the rules proposals...anything else is possible as well.

I expect that the activity will get more expensive again (electronics), and that they will announce that both Jersey Surf and Spartans are remaining in Open Class.

Jersey Surf already announced they are staying Open for 2008 but have applied early for World in 2009.

Surf Web Update

I expect them to make the open class activity more competitive. Instead of allowing easy clean shows to win (achievable), they will base scoring on difficulty and achievement. This way corps that don't go past the 30's, play the same music for 6 minutes, make cute drill forms on the field, or play twinkle twinkle off the field get huge GE points to beat out other innovative corps designs.

I expect them to make the open class activity more competitive. Instead of allowing easy clean shows to win (achievable), they will base scoring on difficulty and achievement. This way corps that don't go past the 30's, play the same music for 6 minutes, make cute drill forms on the field, or play twinkle twinkle off the field get huge GE points to beat out other innovative corps designs.

Huh?

Huh?

IMO, remember, just my opinion. I think that Memphis and Dutch Boy had easy shows, While Fever, Raiders, Revolution, and Oregon Crusaders had harder (but not as clean) shows. If you watch Memphis sound, I don't think you will ever see a member take more than a six-to-five step, go past the 30 yard line on either side, or go behind the back hash. Dutch Boy had GE because they made a little rocket on the field and "blasted" off, which to me, is a high school thing to do, not drum corps (although their guard was amazing.) Fever was almost clean (few spots here and there) but overall difficulty was shown, enough to beat Memphis. Revolution was dirty, percussion overpowered the brass line, guard was not impressive, but drill and visual was much more demanding than Dutch. Look at the scores, Revolution topped Dutch on brass, percussion, and visual performance, but Dutch killed Revolution in guard and GE.

a corps can benefit by staying between the 30s if they are one of the smaller corps, because if you try to use the whole field it spreads your members all over and can make you look even smaller.

i expect big news about discussion of the future of the "Open Class" in regards to where the corps might be in the next few years

a corps can benefit by staying between the 30s if they are one of the smaller corps, because if you try to use the whole field it spreads your members all over and can make you look even smaller.

i expect big news about discussion of the future of the "Open Class" in regards to where the corps might be in the next few years

This is totally unfounded, just a hunch...but I expect the minimum number of marching members needed to participate in 09 to go up....by a lot.

Gee, would you be completely referring to Dutch Boy?