So we're not even Legacy alumni anymore?

From the front page of DCI...

Is that anything like changing someones title from rock n roll hall of famer to "oldie but goodie"?

26 volumes (1974-1999) of the yester-years of Drum Corps International.

"Yesteryears of Drum Corps"? :thumbup:

This is on the front page of DCI for selling the Legacy collection.

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you think the folks that marched in 72 and 73 feel? They aren't even worthy, and yet they set the stage for the future as we all know it.

Uhh, I'm pretty sure there is no 72 or 73 because either they don't have the videos or they don't have them all, and seeing how the collection has been out for a number of years now, that is more then likely the case.

How do you think the folks that marched in 72 and 73 feel? They aren't even worthy, and yet they set the stage for the future as we all know it.

There was no PBS broadcast until 1975, and prior to that, I guess no one in a position of power thought there would be a need or demand for visual recordings of the earlier shows. (Except for Troopers' founder Jim Jones, who recorded many of the early shows for his own enjoyment. These are now being remastered and made available through Drum Corps World.) At the time, video wasn't the big thing it became later, equipment was expensive and the whole concept of posterity was foreign in an organization that was just getting off the ground.

The only reason six corps' programs exist from 1974 is that a local New York PBS station came and recorded finals in Ithaca. But even they didn't have the foresight of the importance of what they had. One of the tapes was used for the local news broadcast within the following week, and only the clandestine saving of the other tape by an employee allowed DCI to bring out those six corps from the 1974 World Championships.

Deal with it.

If anything has been proven in the past five years, it's that the directors, and, by extension, DCI, don't give a #### about the "Legacy".

"Yesteryears of Drum Corps"? :thumbup:

Consider that all the way back in 1994, every member on the field hadn't been born yet at the time of the first DCI Championship. To them and anyone born since, those ARE the yesteryears.

To make matters worse, those who were just being born back in 1994—the year of those first members who weren't born at the time of the first DCI Championship—are now entering adulthood.

Now do you feel old?

Glad I could make you feel better.

A little more perspective:

I marched in 91 and would have aged out of DCI in 93. I was born in 1972.

Since the first time I started instructing drum corps, I've been called old school. :thumbup:

Edited by ravedodger

Deal with it.

If anything has been proven in the past five years, it's that the directors, and, by extension, DCI, don't give a #### about the "Legacy".

This is how I'm dealing with it....I'm acknowledging it.

And you're right, they don't give a you know what, and that's the point I'm making. They are slowly turning this into BOA and this is just a step to show that.

Edited by Lancerlady

Consider that all the way back in 1994, every member on the field hadn't been born yet at the time of the first DCI Championship. To them and anyone born since, those ARE the yesteryears.

To make matters worse, those who were just being born back in 1994—the year of those first members who weren't born at the time of the first DCI Championship—are now entering adulthood.

Now do you feel old?

Glad I could make you feel better.

Well, YOU'RE MUCH older then me my friend. :thumbup:

You're not making me feel better, I was hoping you'd come on here and tell me I was wrong that we are still legacy in the eyes of DCI and that they do care.