Tracking a King K-90's History.

K-90 Freak

Last night, while talking with my corps director, we had a sudden urge to know the history of our King k-90. It's a beautiful horn, even though king stopped making them after a while. We think it may be a horn from Star of Indiana, because the serial number date, we looked up on king's website, matched up to the year that the star horns were purchased. If anyone would know where this horn has been to, please tell, it would be great to see where it has been before it found its recent home.

It's number is: 911810

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Star buy used horns to begin with? What year did they replace them?

Star's horns were bought new and never replaced.

I believe an easy way to check to see if it is a Star horn would be to look for signs of the cross patterned straps they used to keep the bell attached in 91 and afterwards. Those braces were particularly vulnerable in the K-90.

If it has a flexible U shaped brace at the bell attachment point, it's a BD horn.

Didn't Star buy used horns to begin with? What year did they replace them?

Are you serious? Bill Cook drops a cool million to start Star and you think he's going to buy used horns?

Thanks for the chuckle, I needed it today. I was there at the open house when they opened the cases, brand spankin' new. Nothing like the smell of new horn. LOL!

I'm not trying to flame you too bad kid, but I couldn't resist. Loved Vanguard last summer!

• 5 weeks later...

We found out it is a star horn. We put ropes on it now since our drum corps director is from the star contra line in 92. Coolest thing is, it gets to sit in my living room on display. Then it gets alot of action at camp and at shows :p My director, Matt Basey hopes that it's his horn that he marched with Star.

Are you serious? Bill Cook drops a cool million to start Star and you think he's going to buy used horns?

Thanks for the chuckle, I needed it today. I was there at the open house when they opened the cases, brand spankin' new. Nothing like the smell of new horn. LOL!

I'm not trying to flame you too bad kid, but I couldn't resist. Loved Vanguard last summer!

Now it smells like onions... xD

We found out it is a star horn. We put ropes on it now since our drum corps director is from the star contra line in 92. Coolest thing is, it gets to sit in my living room on display. Then it gets alot of action at camp and at shows :p My director, Matt Basey hopes that it's his horn that he marched with Star.

That would be UBER cool!!!

I have a K-20 sop that orignally came from Valley Fever and then to the BD B corps....so at least it's a BD horn.....would've freaked if it was the one I played!!!

Now it smells like onions... xD

Onions is from Too Many Philly Cheese Steaks...

BTW The Price on that horn was a Gift. You'll never find another like it. I was going to pitch a Wicked stink, but that would have involved me talking to people, and I hate everyone... So... I just decided to go back to bed. :tongue:

Onions is from Too Many Philly Cheese Steaks...

BTW The Price on that horn was a Gift. You'll never find another like it. I was going to pitch a Wicked stink, but that would have involved me talking to people, and I hate everyone... So... I just decided to go back to bed. :smile:

Smells like onions from when it was covered with black tarnish. it looks great now. Did some scrubbing with silver polish and a few baths. It sounds and looks as great as a 24-25 year old horn should. Few places where it has silver eaten off and the bell has seen better days, but it's as close to great as it's goign to be. Speaking of which, there was talk of re plating and getting dings out. Sounds like a good plan to me.

I should own my own k-90 soon. Maybe I'll post the serial number on it and ask for help again!

• 2 weeks later...
Smells like onions from when it was covered with black tarnish. it looks great now. Did some scrubbing with silver polish and a few baths. It sounds and looks as great as a 24-25 year old horn should. Few places where it has silver eaten off and the bell has seen better days, but it's as close to great as it's goign to be. Speaking of which, there was talk of re plating and getting dings out. Sounds like a good plan to me.

I should own my own k-90 soon. Maybe I'll post the serial number on it and ask for help again!

My kanstul makes that k-90 look like a tinker toy. Save your nickels and dimes & buy a Zig Horn..

After owning Several of everything the Grande' Kanstul are the superior weapon.

Edited by sonofjabba