Drum Corps and Competative Marching Bands

OK, once we got past the usual griping from the overly-sensitive types, this has settled down nicely into a more rational discussion. Others have listed some major differences in structure and purpose for marching band versus corps. I suppose one can look at it in two ways:

How does the corps/band get to the field?

What does the corps/band do on the field?

In the first part, there is a wide gulf between the two activities, while on the second, the differences are actually smaller. That point explains why some people claim not to care about the instrumentation and other "technical" issues.

However, those "technical" issues are hardly inconsequential. Indeed, they are birthed from the very histories of the two activities. Drum corps and HS marching band came from two completely different places. One was born from a military background, and the other was born from the educational system. As such, they have quite different functions. Over time, the two have converged, in a process one can call "parallel evolution", such that superficially the two are nearly identical. I believe that explains how, despite form following function, the two still fulfill differing functions, yet look remarkably similar.

(Parallel evolution mostly applies to biology, but I think it works in all sorts of situations. A squid and a human are quite different biologically (one is an invertebrate, one is not), yet the structures of their respective eyes are remarkably similar. The main point is, when you put two species into similar environments, they will begin to evolve similar traits. Superficially, they look indistinguishable, but they still have different functions.)

The point we have reached in this paralleling process has brought band and corps close enough together that some people are convinced that, rather than corps and band being two distinctly different species, they are merely two different breeds of the same species. ("marching music/arts" rather than "drum corps" and "band".) As already pointed out, the HS marching band activity has many "flavors" or versions, that have little to do with each other. This argument posits that drum corps is simply another one of those flavors, and this convergence is not only inevitable but desirable. Others point to the historical uniqueness of the drum corps activity, apart from the band activity, and that the convergence threatens to extinguish that uniqueness.

A slightly different take:

Some say that drum corps has been and is evolving toward a state of perfection. ("Perfection" is defined as whatever marching band is.) OTOH, others view drum corps as already being "perfect", and it is giving that up to become the "less perfect" HS marching band. Or, maybe some are envious of the stability that marching band has (being publicly supported), so drum corps needs to emulate them to achieve the same stability. Thus, the opponents claim that achieving stability at the expense of drum corps' soul, if you will, is not a worthwhile trade-off.

So, as you can see, with such a fundamental, profound disagreement over the basic view of the situation causes enormous conflict. If you can't agree on a definition, you'll never be able to communicate and, hence, compromise.

IMO, arguing that corps is band, or that corps needs to become or embrace band to survive, ignores history; to do so imperils the drum corps activity (being the more unstable one). The question to be answered for me has two parts: Can the convergence be stopped? And if so, when will we reach the point of no return?

In the end, there are similarities enough to ask the question: Is there anything band does that corps could borrow, outside of the current points of conflict, that may help drum corps continue to survive in a form acceptable to most every corps fan? I believe this point, Jim, could be where your original question might be aimed to make a substantial contribution to the overall discussion.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the end, there are similarities enough to ask the question: Is there anything band does that corps could borrow, outside of the current points of conflict, that may help drum corps continue to survive in a form acceptable to most every corps fan? I believe this point, Jim, could be where your original question might be aimed to make a substantial contribution to the overall discussion.

Didn't even know enough to ask the question Dale, but I like it.

Would be just another thread I started that morphed into something better. :lol:

I've always maintained that time is also a signifigant factor. From the time the DC kids report to spring training until the end of the season, the instructors basically own them. I don't think that there's many band directors who have that educational luxury, because most of their season takes place during the academic year.

Edited by Piper

I've always maintained that time is also a signifigant factor. From the time the DC kids report to spring training until the end of the season, the instructors basically own them. I don't think that there's many band directors who have that educational luxury, because most of their season takes place during the academic year.

Main reason given by my old director for not competing was conflicts with school and outside life. Guy was a crusty ex-WWII vet close to retirement and he had been outside of academia enough to realize there were more important things than band. If he got to know (and trust) you enough he was pretty blunt with his opinions.

Way I remember the conversion was:

"Hey Wit (you had to call him by his first name of he wouldn't respond) how come we don't compete".

"##### ##### you kids have enough #### to worry about in your lives without someone breaking your ###es over some #### competition. Besides we've got a few kids having enough problems marching and playing at the same time without them stressing over a score. They'd probably quit and I don't want that. Worry about your grades and quit bugging me about this competition crap."

Guy also smoked like a chimney, you did not want to use the private bathroom by the bandroom. :lol: