Teal Sound Partners with Quantum

From Teal's Website:

January 21, 2008 – In conjunction with their 10th Anniversary season, Teal Sound is pleased to announce an exciting new partnership with Jupiter Band Instruments, Inc. to perform on the new Quantum series of brass, drums and percussion instruments.

The Quantum project is a collaborative effort between Jupiter, Mapex and Majestic brands to develop a complete line of high-performance marching brass, drums and field percussion. Ron Ellis and Terrell Smith, Teal Sound Arrangers and Caption Heads, feel that the Quantum series products will give the program an excellent quality of sound and enhance the overall musical experience for the members. “The fact that Jupiter, Mapex and Majestic have developed the instruments with the entire ensemble in mind adds to the overall balance and blend of the program,” stated Mr. Ellis.

Teal made the announcement to its members, staff and parents during the January 18th camp weekend. “All of us at the Teal Sound are truly pleased and excited with the efforts made by the Jupiter Product Development Team along with Jupiter President Keith Gard and Vice President of Business Development Tabor Stamper to establish this partnership,” said Corps Director Randy W. Blackburn. “We are looking forward to a great business relationship and playing on the Quantum instruments this season and into the future.”

This is what I posted in the World Class thread about Academy switching to Quantum.

Teal has made the official announcement. Check out the Open Class forum.

Now for something that is MY opinion and does not reflect the views of Teal at all:

If you haven't played on the Quantum Horns the DON'T KNOCK THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jupiter has finally got their marching brass right.

As a former high school band director I have the unfortunate pleasure of have the student Jupiter horns in my band program, these new Quantum horn are NOTHING like the old horns. I've played them myself.....in fact I left the Teal Welcome meeting just so I could play on these horns more! I personally played the bari, euph and contra. AWESOME horns!!! Ed and his crew have gotten things right. I can't wait till we get all the horns in and start blowing buildings down.

My opinion of the horns:

Bari - Light weight. Very free blowing from pedal E to the dog whistle notes. Very balanced.

Euph - Let me put it this way, I'd take it home, buy a crib for it and name it Mike, Jr. Incredible sound and it's light and balanced.

Contra: Yes, the first generation horn is 3 valved. But this thing plays like a top notch concert horn. Very free blowing especially in the 2&3, 1&3 and 1,2&3 valve combos. Low register comes out with ease.

I've been waiting to say all that!!!!!

~Mike Steiner

how is the upper register in the tuba? i found the yamaha to have a very thin unsupported sound up there.

the overall quality of the jupiter products are improving...are they the best on the market in general? no, but every company has to start somewhere.

The upper register is nice and full.

I don't know about that...BUT...they are on their way.

Euph - Let me put it this way, I'd take it home, buy a crib for it and name it Mike, Jr. Incredible sound and it's light and balanced.

####, I can't wait to see the grandkids...

Jupiter really has stepped up the quality over the past few years. Memphis Sound started with Jupiter back in 2003, and got pretty good results. The reality is that you won't hear a huge difference between any of the major brands, but I'm interested in seeing how this new line holds up with the rigors of tour. Congrats to Teal and Academy, this is an exciting change.

Jupiter really has stepped up the quality over the past few years. Memphis Sound started with Jupiter back in 2003, and got pretty good results. The reality is that you won't hear a huge difference between any of the major brands, but I'm interested in seeing how this new line holds up with the rigors of tour. Congrats to Teal and Academy, this is an exciting change.

I'm a elementary/middle school band director. I played the entire line of brass and woodwind instruments last spring and loved them...but I need to be sure that they would be able to stand up to the beatings that 10 year olds give, so we're holding off for this year. I would like to see this forum at the end of the season, I hope it is still this positive!