For today's corps..

crownbrass2007

Bb or G?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you pick?

• Bb
    • G

I never did get into the whole marching Bb thing, I am a firm believer that drum corps is what it is because of the G bugle

Because I march one, G. And I love it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been thinkin it was silver all this time. I guess we need PR horn person in 81 tell us what they had. I am questioning my own memory now.. Sad... Sad...

I think by 1981 most corps that could afford a newer line, had two valve horns. They were available in chrome, silver plate, and lacquered brass.

I think by 1981 most corps that could afford a newer line, had two valve horns. They were available in chrome, silver plate, and lacquered brass.

Well with a whopping 57 people responding poll is about dead even, 50-50.

I prefer to play on Bb, but do have a great respect for those who can play a G bugle well! As I'm getting older (almost 25!) I have really come to prefer listening to pre 2000 drum corps, esp. BD.

Playing a 3 valve G bugle isn't that much different than switching to a C trumpet or even to flugelhorn. Within a few notes your ears adjust and soon you get used to the intonation peculiarities and you're good to go.

Playing a 3 valve G bugle isn't that much different than switching to a C trumpet or even to flugelhorn. Within a few notes your ears adjust and soon you get used to the intonation peculiarities and you're good to go.

Well, that is if you can get past the mouthpiece change--while Cs can use the same mouthpieces as the Bb/G instruments, it isn't the best idea to do so.

I've played on both keys, and I honestly have to say that I like Bb better, not only for tuning reasons, but because a lot of music was simply written to be played with a Bb's timbre. However, Gs should still have their place in today's corps. It would be interesting to see a line that includes both Bb and G instruments. For example, think of a trumpet section and a soprano section in the same line. The sopranos could play different music from the trumpets in the same way that many pieces of brass band music contain both trumpet and cornet parts. A sop could act as a link between the mellos and the trumpets (unless one also wants to include flugels as well). Of course, it depends on whether or not the corps wants to play with a mix of timbres, or stick with the raw power of a traditional line :thumbdown:. Then again, a line of Bb, F, and G would make warmup exercises a little more difficult... :ph34r:

Either way (sorry in advance), there are solos that don't sound too good on Gs in general. They make great ensemble instruments though!

Well, that is if you can get past the mouthpiece change--while Cs can use the same mouthpieces as the Bb/G instruments, it isn't the best idea to do so.

Off topic, but one of the best things you can teach yourself is, not to be too mouthpiece specific. In other words, try not to be limited by your mouthpiece usage. Learning to be adaptable in this regard will open a whole new dimension to your playing.

Off topic, but one of the best things you can teach yourself is, not to be too mouthpiece specific. In other words, try not to be limited by your mouthpiece usage. Learning to be adaptable in this regard will open a whole new dimension to your playing.

I've been doing that for a bit now. And while it has benefits. I am not all that sold on the results. Even though I play nothing like the 5GS I played for many years. When I break out a 5GS or 51D the sizes I played in the Army Band and Junior Corps, I have some playing traits I haven't been able to build up on any other mouthpieces. I generally play bigger mouthpieces now than I did back then. The smaller ones are just too limiting terms of volume and comfort. But on the old standby's I have a more comfortable high end, and am more likely to get that super tone that one gets when things are just gelling.

There are advantages in terms of playing any horn with a mouthpiece that fits the horn, and not necessarily the one you're most familiar with. But I wonder if I wouldn't be a much better player, if I specialized a bit more. While I prefer the feel and characteristics of the larger pieces, I'm still a better player on the pieces I spent the most time playing. Even when I haven't used them much in the past decade plus.

I prefer to play on Bb, but do have a great respect for those who can play a G bugle well! As I'm getting older (almost 25!) I have really come to prefer listening to pre 2000 drum corps, esp. BD.
You know, this whole G/B flat thing is absolutely stupid, and I'm about ready to sue somebody!

What's better? Strings or woodwinds? It's an appples and oranges argument. The problem with B flat, is that it is NOT drum corps. G bugles, while a little crude and difficult, produce a unique and incredibly bright and powerful sound...uniquely drum corpsian. A sound that goes right to the soul and steals it forever.

I love Blast...or a symphonic brass ensemble. Sublime, and pure...............but not drum corps.

Bruce Linderman

I've played on both keys, and I honestly have to say that I like Bb better, not only for tuning reasons, but because a lot of music was simply written to be played with a Bb's timbre. However, Gs should still have their place in today's corps. It would be interesting to see a line that includes both Bb and G instruments. For example, think of a trumpet section and a soprano section in the same line. The sopranos could play different music from the trumpets in the same way that many pieces of brass band music contain both trumpet and cornet parts. A sop could act as a link between the mellos and the trumpets (unless one also wants to include flugels as well). Of course, it depends on whether or not the corps wants to play with a mix of timbres, or stick with the raw power of a traditional line :thumbup:. Then again, a line of Bb, F, and G would make warmup exercises a little more difficult... :ph34r:

Either way (sorry in advance), there are solos that don't sound too good on Gs in general. They make great ensemble instruments though!

A quick answer, without much thought, admttedly, but I've a feeling B flat and G wouldn't mix well. Playing in unusal keys for amatuer musicians for one thing. Most G buglers have an anxiety attack if they have to play with more than one sharp or flat.

Bruce Linderman