For today's corps..

crownbrass2007

Bb or G?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you pick?

• Bb
    • G

However, if there was "magic" involved, it would be really coolset2_stir.gif

Thanks for starting my day out with a smile.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could you test such a thing. I was thinking - hand me a horn blindfolded, but no, I'd know as soon as I blew into the horn by pitch if nothing else.

And even a "unbiased" player is likely to approach the two insturments a little differently.

Earlier this year I played on two relatively identical Die-nasty Baritones. One in G, the other B-flat. One of the horns had slightly larger tubing (obviously), but otherwise I played on the same mouthpiece.

Overall, I found I could play louder (or atleast it sounded louder) on the G Baritone than the B-Flat. I don't have the B-flat Die-nasty now. I have a Yamaha B-flat instead :tongue:

I think the smaller G hornlines of yesteryear just played louder. They had to, they were no where near as large as today's hornlines. Some did blast, but they also weren't the best corps.

How far back is "yesteryear" Marty? I know I could peel paint with my Olds piston/rotor Bari and it just wasn't because I was in better shape. For folks too young to play those horns, the different construction was one huge reason (IMO) for the loudness factor. And during my "Thumb Playing Years" :tongue: I was in HS and college bands so I could compare G vs Bb very well.

How far back is "yesteryear" Marty? I know I could peel paint with my Olds piston/rotor Bari and it just wasn't because I was in better shape. For folks too young to play those horns, the different construction was one huge reason (IMO) for the loudness factor. And during my "Thumb Playing Years" :tongue: I was in HS and college bands so I could compare G vs Bb very well.

Well, that's always debatable, because time marches on. However, from my perspective, I would say anywhere from the 1950s to the early/mid 1970s+, if you had a 40 person hornline - that was average size and could produce some hair parting volume. Many lines of that period were smaller and just as loud. Anything over 50 was kind of a luxury for most corps. I think either the reality or even the possibility that G bugles may have been easier to play loud on, has some credence. Point being; that if it is easier to play loud on, then you are more likely to avail yourself of that horn's tendencies.

Now, loud, yes. Were they all pleasant to listen to? For the most part, yes. Some, the only questionably, good thing you could say about them is that they were loud. However, I don't think G hornlines are the only ones culpable here.

Some people, not all, brought up on band instruments are fine with the sound and the volume of Bb/F/Eb and think that drum and bugle corps G bugles, with their brighter sound, are inferior. To each their own...

In anycase, most top hornlines are almost twice the size of the hornlines of the period I mentioned above. At that size, loudness isn't really an issue. They can play as loud as needed. I'd dare say it's more musical too.

Remember playing in a smaller hornline? Everyone had to be a hero and save the hornline from not being loud enough - all the time - I think some quality was lost in the quest for volume. That was part of the excitement of listening and doing, though. Seeing and hearing the smaller hornlines emptying their reserves in the final exit number and fanfare. You knew it was everything they had left, because you did it too. Goosebumps are made of that.

That said; G vs Bb, I don't really care. Is G capable of more volume - all things being equal...a definite maybe.

Edited by Martybucs

That said; G vs Bb, I don't really care. Is G capable of more volume - all things being equal...a definite maybe.

At this point my SWAG (simple wild ###ed guess) is horn construction between the different eras has a lot to do with it. As far as corps today it looks to me the emphasis is on tone and being musical instead of being emotional and exciting (IOW - blowing 'em outta the seats).

Too bad Scout House or any other Bb corps weren't around in my day (late 70s) so I could compare the US corps in G and Canadian "bands" in Bb. Then again not sure if the "bands" played in the same style as their US paint peeling counterparts.

Heh, we still use Kanstul G horns with a age range of HS to 70s playing them. I would love to get our group with a Junior corps aged Kanstul Bb horn line and do some comparisions. :tongue: Somehow I'd like to think we'd win the power test because we learned HOW to play louder.

Edit: Quotes from a mid to late 70s horn practice:

"Play as soft as you can. If you cannot hear the person next to you, you are too loud."

"Play as loud as you can. If you can hear the person next to you, you are not playing loud enough".

Wonder if that second line is still used today.

PS - Yes we had to play loud with good tone... it IS possible. :tongue:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari