For today's corps..

crownbrass2007

Bb or G?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you pick?

• Bb
    • G

Sorry for straying from the topic. Yes, I should have thought about my response a bit more. Perhaps it wouldn't mix well. The tuning problems would be amplified if played in unfriendly keys.

Then again, it would be an interesting experiment...

Anyhow, with a bit more thought to the response, G certainly has its advantages as far as timbre goes. I enjoyed Surf's '05 show when they switched back to the Gs. Then there's the Spartans, who, well, sound great.

Judging from the 50-50 split in the pole at the time of this post, it seems that this old(ish) argument is not really one that can be resolved.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick answer, without much thought, admttedly, but I've a feeling B flat and G wouldn't mix well. Playing in unusal keys for amatuer musicians for one thing. Most G buglers have an anxiety attack if they have to play with more than one sharp or flat.

Bruce Linderman

I don't know about your second point. I don't think most G buglers have an anxiety attack over key signatures. I've never met one. Those that can't read music, ( a little more rare, these days), use fingerings so the key doesn't matter.

Off topic, but one of the best things you can teach yourself is, not to be too mouthpiece specific. In other words, try not to be limited by your mouthpiece usage. Learning to be adaptable in this regard will open a whole new dimension to your playing.

We had a Father Daughter team fight over this a couple weeks ago. He is a believer in having a bag full of trumpet mouthpieces for any occasion and she is a believer in finding a mouthpiece and using it for everything. I'm a novice Brass player so I just use my 6 1/2 AL for everthing, not knowing any better.

I don't know about your second point. I don't think most G buglers have an anxiety attack over key signatures. I've never met one. Those that can't read music, ( a little more rare, these days), use fingerings so the key doesn't matter.
Thanks Marty,

This is one case in which I hope you are correct. It's been a while since I instructed brass, and if I ever do again, it would be nice to have players that have achieved a reasonable level of skill.

Bruce

We had a Father Daughter team fight over this a couple weeks ago. He is a believer in having a bag full of trumpet mouthpieces for any occasion and she is a believer in finding a mouthpiece and using it for everything. I'm a novice Brass player so I just use my 6 1/2 AL for everthing, not knowing any better.

Used a Bach 12 mouthpiece for years in HS, college (trombone) and DC (piston/rotor Bari).

When I joined an Alumni corps I was given a valved Bari and 3rd music with LOTS of low notes. The horn instructor (HS band director) dug up a mouthpiece with a larger bore to help get the air thru the horn. Big help especally with the lower notes and I hadn't played for 15 years.

I have to vote Bb, although G is a much darker sound, Bb (depends on maker to) tends to have a better intonation, plays louder, and I have always played Bb horns, although my rookie year last year was marched on the G's and was the last year for pioneer to use them...

A quick answer, without much thought, admttedly, but I've a feeling B flat and G wouldn't mix well. Playing in unusal keys for amatuer musicians for one thing. Most G buglers have an anxiety attack if they have to play with more than one sharp or flat.

Bruce Linderman

Well, 2007 Kingsmen Alumni Corps was all-key, and the sound and mix was just fine, using charts written for G horns...

...we'll prolly continue that practice in HardCorps...at least until we can gently convince the Bb (former G) folks to go G again...

Edited by GuyW

I wouldn't have any problem going G again. But I wouldn't want to spend thousands of my cash doing it. The horns just don't have the resale value. And market for used G's has been diminishing significantly in recent years. At least with Bb's, I can get most of my money back. Or at it's worst, donate it to a local school and actually have it get used.

Well, 2007 Kingsmen Alumni Corps was all-key, and the sound and mix was just fine, using charts written for G horns...

...we'll prolly continue that practice in HardCorps...at least until we can gently convince the Bb (former G) folks to go G again...

Thanks Guy,

The "key" there is that the music was for G, and the other keys had to transpose. I would think playing music for G horns on a Bflat trumpet would be easier than vice versa. Especially if bugle had one or two valves (Obvoiusly). If the musicians are skilled, they could probably play thru exhaust pipes and be in tune.

Bruce

...If the musicians are skilled, they could probably play thru exhaust pipes and be in tune.

Becaue you're a rookie here, I'll point out that when you read DCP long enuff, you'll discover that its an immutable law of physics that only 3-valve Bb horns can play in tune...

Edited by GuyW