When did drum corps become marching band?

207 members have voted

1. 1. so, when did it happen?

• Valved horns
    • Grounded Pit
    • Asymmetrical drill
    • Three Valves
    • Any key horns
    • Amplification of pit and vocals allowed
    • Amped brass
    • Electronics
    • Banana

I just watched this video on youtube "Synergy" from Ronald Reagan band, and I'm in shock. This is what DCI is becoming next year.

I don't understand why DCI would take a step back (IMO).

I'm baffled at what all the hype is about and why in the world they would want to take the activity to this.

This isn't innovative or creative to me.

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, I'm not disagreeing with or bashing your opinion, but for you to label a whole form of music "not innovative or creative" seems pretty ignorant and prejudiced to me.

I just watched this video on youtube "Synergy" from Ronald Reagan band, and I'm in shock. This is what DCI is becoming next year.

I don't understand why DCI would take a step back (IMO).

I'm baffled at what all the hype is about and why in the world they would want to take the activity to this.

The last two days I watched this video and a couple of their others also.

Yes they are a very good HS band.

But in terms of show design I wasn't so impressed. I didn't hear any electronics that were to die for either. Some basic keyboard stuff. That was it.

I think most corps will use a small amount of this stuff, hopefully tastefully, and that's about it.

It is not going to be the tool to make or break drum corps.

The same things that have always thrilled will still be the standard;

great rifle tosses,

a cool drill move,

a tight drum line,

and a wall of brass sound.

I mean, I'm not disagreeing with or bashing your opinion, but for you to label a whole form of music "not innovative or creative" seems pretty ignorant and prejudiced to me.

Having watched the same video I think what she means is there wasn't anything in this show that was better or went beyond what drum corps can do.

There were no fantastic electronic sounds that made the show (at least I didn't hear anything on my small computer speakers). I've seen all the drill moves before. etc.

Having watched the same video I think what she means is there wasn't anything in this show that was better or went beyond what drum corps can do.

There were no fantastic electronic sounds that made the show (at least I didn't hear anything on my small computer speakers). I've seen all the drill moves before. etc.

Fair, but that's completely a matter of opinion. I thought some of the synth sounds added an interesting and enjoyable texture to the opening of Reagan's 2003 show that you wouldn't be able to achieve without them.

No one said electronics were going to be this crazy new thing that made shows 1000x better than they used to be. No one said that about any of the rules changes that have taken place in the past (grounded pits, three valves, Bbs, etc.). But they can make a small difference that might make a show more enjoyable to the fans.

i found this post offensive on several levels. first off, if you're going to confront someone, you should be a little more honest. you claim you aren't disagreeing with another poster, then go on to not only disagree with them, but to argue the exact opposite of what they said. you also say you aren't bashing the other posters opinion, but call them "pretty ignorant and prejudiced". your post is dishonest, confrontational, rude (aggressively so), and just generally disgusts me. i probably wouldn't have responded to it at all, lots of people make rude comments to anyone they disagree with in here, but i just can't give anyone a free pass when they claim they aren't going to do that and then proceed to do nothing but that. either be honest, and go ahead and not only argue against the other persons statement but feel free to couch your argument in extremely personal, confrontational terms or claim to play nice and actually live up to it. you can't do both, obviously, and this post is a perfect example of that.

Brian brings up a good point, I think. People tend to blow things way out of proportion. None of these changes are going to manifest themselves in earth-shattering spectacles of sight and sound. We all know what we like to see and hear, and if the little differences that might happen thanks to these new rules aren't your cup of tea, then the best way to protest them is with you pocketbook. Just leave, but feel free to vent here. :tongue:

I suspect I'll be okay with most of what I hear and that I'll like some of it and not like some of it...same as every other year. If I don't enjoy it enough to keep coming, oh well. Others won't, and that's just the way it goes. When woodwinds are added, I'll give it a chance, but I doubt I'll stay around much. Maybe I'll talk about it a little in here, however pointless it may be. The best way for me to protest is to not show up and not buy things related to DCI.

Excuse me? It is not ignorant if it is my personal opinion of it.

I can not see how these things are going to be good for the activity innovatively or otherwise and that is my personal opinion.

Y'all are the ones who said to go watch these bands and see how they can do such great things with these electronics and I'm just not seeing how it's going to add anything.

I gave amps a chance but this I can't sorry.

Edited by Lancerlady

i found this post offensive on several levels. first off, if you're going to confront someone, you should be a little more honest. you claim you aren't disagreeing with another poster, then go on to not only disagree with them, but to argue the exact opposite of what they said. you also say you aren't bashing the other posters opinion, but call them "pretty ignorant and prejudiced". your post is dishonest, confrontational, rude (aggressively so), and just generally disgusts me. i probably wouldn't have responded to it at all, lots of people make rude comments to anyone they disagree with in here, but i just can't give anyone a free pass when they claim they aren't going to do that and then proceed to do nothing but that. either be honest, and go ahead and not only argue against the other persons statement but feel free to couch your argument in extremely personal, confrontational terms or claim to play nice and actually live up to it. you can't do both, obviously, and this post is a perfect example of that.

Thanks I was gonna point that out but since you did such a great job with it, I'll just requote it.