When did drum corps become marching band?

207 members have voted

1. 1. so, when did it happen?

• Valved horns
    • Grounded Pit
    • Asymmetrical drill
    • Three Valves
    • Any key horns
    • Amplification of pit and vocals allowed
    • Amped brass
    • Electronics
    • Banana

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no woodwinds and there never will be.

Therefore drum corps is still drum corps.

This sounds vaguely familiar. Hmmm...

*In my best Neville Chamberlain voice*

*"We, the Drum Corps International Board of Directors have had a further meeting today and are agreed in recognizing that the question of drum corps and marching band relations is of the first importance for our two organizations.

We regard the agreements voted on yesterday as the desire of our two organizations never to go separate from one another again. We are resolved that the method of consultation shall be the method adopted to deal with any other questions that may concern our two organizations, and we are determined to continue our efforts to remove possible sources of difference, and thus to contribute to assure the peace of marching bands."My good friends, for the second time in our history, a BoD has returned from the annual DCI Meetings bringing peace with honour. I believe it is peace for our time... Go home and get a nice quiet sleep."

*loosely based on Chamberlain's "Peace For Our Time" speech.

[insert sense of humor here] :thumbup:

Edited by skajerk

Band is drum corps and drum corps is band!

Prove me wrong!

U2 is a band, too. Does that make them a drum corps? The answer to your question, however, is 2009.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Hey folks,

Go to the door or window and look outside. It's kinda nice out right? OK well maybe the weather is crappy but the world certainly is not ending as far as I know. Get away from your computers. I've been involved with Drum Corps for the past 10 or so years and frankly I don't care that they've allowed electronics because I have other more important things to worry about in my life. It doesn't bother me one bit either way and I really don't think you should be getting this worked up whether you've been around the activity for 50 or 5 years.

That's my 2 cents now back to that banana talk.

Hey folks,

Go to the door or window and look outside. It's kinda nice out right? OK well maybe the weather is crappy but the world certainly is not ending as far as I know. Get away from your computers. I've been involved with Drum Corps for the past 10 or so years and frankly I don't care that they've allowed electronics because I have other more important things to worry about in my life. It doesn't bother me one bit either way and I really don't think you should be getting this worked up whether you've been around the activity for 50 or 5 years.

That's my 2 cents now back to that banana talk.

Thank you! I woke up this morning, kissed my wife, went to the gym and am now here and checking email, and (shock) outside the sun is rising still. . .in spite of this world-ending travesty we call DCI.

Thank you! I woke up this morning, kissed my wife, went to the gym and am now here and checking email, and (shock) outside the sun is rising still. . .in spite of this world-ending travesty we call DCI.

And yet, you're still here. Have you anything substantive to add, or will you merely complain about the fact that people complain?

(Drum corps is and always has been a form of marching band, btw)

Really? So, then American football is and always has been a form of rugby too, right?

Edited by Dale Bari