2008 Ageouts and beyond

Eh, I probably fall into the category that I'm relieved it didn't pass. This summer will be my 5th and final summer and as much as I hate to say it...I'm starting to get burned out. And I would literally argue with myself on whether I would march the extra year if I had the option and before I found out the rule proposal failed I decided that this summer I would age-out no matter what.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In all honesty.. couldnt those that have marched forever and ever just choose not to march that bonus year? I mean, nobody's forcing you to march it. However, there are many who dont even start marching until late hs\college that would love the chance at an extra year.

Of course nobody is forcing anyone to march that extra year. At least for me, I've been looking forward to being able to walk onto the field Friday night, look up at the big screen and see my name scroll through, take pictures of the crowd and meet up with old friends on the field, etc... I can't march in 2009 which would have been my new ageout. It just won't happen with school and graduating, therefore I'm relieved that this will be it for me.

Honest question: do you HAVE to be a true ageout to attend the ageout ceremony? If the rule had passed I would have still wanted to be apart of the 2008 ceremony...

Edited by Carl306

I've heard that you can sign papers saying you won't march again... I do not know if this is true though.

that'd be pretty cool, cause i was born june 2nd, so i have a "bonus" year (2009), and quite frankly, it's really messing me up academically with having to delay a summer internship (which is REQUIRED for my major) until after I age out. i would vote yes for a rule where members can choose to age themselves out a year before their actual age out year

as someone with a may 31st birthday, i was really hoping the rule would pass. if some people with bonus years are allowed to march while 22, why not everyone? I understand the "youth activity" argument...but it's not as if DCI or it's corps go to lengths to "hide" 22 year olds with bonus years from the drum corps community.

And as for moving on, of course we all have to, and i think we should all decide when the time is right for ourselves...but for every person needing to enter an internship during their 22 year, there's someone who discovered the activity later, or a music/dance performance major who sees drum corps as a great performance opportunity and something worth adding to their adult resume.

it goes both ways.

This summer will be my 5th and final, but I would have marched again if the rule had passed. I like drum corps. It's fun, you get a nice tan, and you get to be outside. The real world can wait. :thumbup:

-chris

6 years is enough on the body, but even more so....

1972-1979 symmetrical drill (unless scv did it in '81, in which case, excuse me for being one year off)

1980-1999 g horns

2000-2003 any key horns, but still acoustic

2004-2008 amped but no electronics

2009-???? electronics but no woodwinds

????-drum corps dies or the rules are changed back, drum corps = summer marching band

with that being mentioned, i think its a lot easier to see why im extremely grateful to have marched 2003-2008. 2003 was a COMPLETELY different era than 2008 when it comes to the products on the field, but nowhere near what'll happen in 2009. i marched from the end of one era to the end of another.....got to see a g hornline make finals, and never had to compete against ####### synths, guitars, or anything like that.

it was kind of cool seeing the corps i started with as a charter member of the organization win a championship this past summer too, different division or not. the other drum corps i'm an alumni of is long gone, unfortunately.

plus i can be productive during the summer of 2009, but that's a secondary reason for my gratitude at best.

Edited by Jared_mello

Had the age limit rule been passed without the electronics rules, I probably would have been happy, because I first had the opportunity to march later than most. However, I'm actually very happy that I am aging out this year, as DCI will now be dead to me in 2009.

Gonna start following DCA I suppose.

8 years would have been wayy too much for me.

Heck, 7 years will be way too much for me too.