Saying Good-Bye to DCI, and . . .

How Best to Promote Acoustic-Only Drum and Bugle Corps  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Please select the course of action that best describes your preference for promoting acoustic-only drum and bugle corps

• Continue limited support only to those DCI corps that do not use electronics
    • Start a financial endowment organization that awards a cash prize to the highest placing acoustic only DCI corps
    • Start a financial endownment organization to raise start-up capital for a new acoustic only drum corps association
    • Channel our financial resources and other support to DCA (as long as DCA formally becomes acoustic only)

DCA? it's hobby corps. not exactly the vanguard of the activity. hey, but you can buy beer at finals, right?

You'd be surprised how many DCI members join their local DCA corps once DCI Finals is over... :music:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hobby corps? Care to explain because I'd love to hear this one.

well... instead of fishing, or playing world of warcraft, or woodworking, you dress up and march around a football field. same as junior corps, 'cept for the aged members, the intoxicants, and the lower appeal.

it's fine, i guess, but it's not a replacement for the current artistic and performance levels achieved within DCI.

You'd be surprised how many DCI members join their local DCA corps once DCI Finals is over... :music:

really? i suppose if you sample the 2800 or so World Class corps members that march a given season, a handful will march DCA. so, 10 top DCA corps equals what, about 1000 members? what percentage of current marching DCI members would be included in that number? 10%? That would be 100. But 10 per corps sounds pretty high. I've never seen that happen. 50? Less? Impact?

well... instead of fishing, or playing world of warcraft, or woodworking, you dress up and march around a football field. same as junior corps, 'cept for the aged members, the intoxicants, and the lower appeal.

it's fine, i guess, but it's not a replacement for the current artistic and performance levels achieved within DCI.

I'd pit Minnesota Brass Inc's drumline against most World class lines.

It's usually a good idea, when you choose to speak in a public forum, to have a faint clue of what you are talking about. Just thought you'd like that for future reference. Too late for this time.

really? i suppose if you sample the 2800 or so World Class corps members that march a given season, a handful will march DCA. so, 10 top DCA corps equals what, about 1000 members? what percentage of current marching DCI members would be included in that number? 10%? That would be 100. But 10 per corps sounds pretty high. I've never seen that happen. 50? Less? Impact?

Many kids don't bother with DCI and go right to DCA corps.

And that's your impression of DCA?

well, fishing can be about survival or trophy. wow appears to requires skill, dedication, and time. and of course, woodworking is an artform unto itself. so... why not? what do you see the differences being? am I wrong about the beer? the older members? lower appeal?