Saying Good-Bye to DCI, and . . .

How Best to Promote Acoustic-Only Drum and Bugle Corps  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Please select the course of action that best describes your preference for promoting acoustic-only drum and bugle corps

• Continue limited support only to those DCI corps that do not use electronics
    • Start a financial endowment organization that awards a cash prize to the highest placing acoustic only DCI corps
    • Start a financial endownment organization to raise start-up capital for a new acoustic only drum corps association
    • Channel our financial resources and other support to DCA (as long as DCA formally becomes acoustic only)

really? i suppose if you sample the 2800 or so World Class corps members that march a given season, a handful will march DCA. so, 10 top DCA corps equals what, about 1000 members? what percentage of current marching DCI members would be included in that number? 10%? That would be 100. But 10 per corps sounds pretty high. I've never seen that happen. 50? Less? Impact?

That's not taking into account the kids that march DCA before going to DCI. And that's a growing trend with year round schooling taking a bigger hold. I counted at least 10 under the age of 22 at Music City Legend this weekend and that's not seeing much of the percussion or guard.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What else would it be?

Mostly kids your own age and some adults in their 20s and 30s and some hearty older souls. They work very, very hard. Usually 20 or more hours a Sat. and Sun. on a winter weekend and up to 12 hours or more on a show day and the day after to make their shows happen.

Usually corps without big buck sponsors that do what they need to do to make the activity fun and affordable for their members.

Usually the shows are every bit as demanding as any DCI show.

Usually they are every bit as entertaining.

If they don't meet your discriminatingly, high standards and you don't like it. Fine. I doubt you've ever seen a DCA show and you're just trying to be insulting. congratulations.

To characterize the members of DCA as "aged", "inoxicants", "of lesser appeal" shows a deliberate lack of respect for the hard work and dedication these people put into their efforts.

That's not taking into account the kids that march DCA before going to DCI. And that's a growing trend with year round schooling taking a bigger hold. I counted at least 10 under the age of 22 at Music City Legend this weekend and that's not seeing much of the percussion or guard.

Already posted this elsewhere, but Crusaders is a pretty young corps, and there's plenty of talent. The guard was almost exclusively WGI members (Patriots and Gates). Snare line and most of the tenors were DCI age and I'd have no difficulty inagining any of them making a world DCI line.

and I'd pit the Chicago Symphony brass against whomever you can bring...

isn't there a DCA forum somewhere?

So long as the Chicago Symphony horns are marching and playing.

Already posted this elsewhere, but Crusaders is a pretty young corps, and there's plenty of talent. The guard was almost exclusively WGI members (Patriots and Gates). Snare line and most of the tenors were DCI age and I'd have no difficulty inagining any of them making a world DCI line.

i'm sure you're right. DCA corps are as good as DCI corps.

since we can't post video links here...

google and compare the following, and we can continue the chat...

bucs to devs

mb to cavies

empire to phantom

hurricanes to cadets

So long as the Chicago Symphony horns are marching and playing.

wait, are you saying that the average Chicago Symphony player won't march as well as the average DCA member? if no, i'm sure they'll make up for it in the music caption.

Edited by acecannon

bucs to devs

mb to cavies

empire to phantom

hurricanes to cadets

OK. As long as you factor in weekend rehearsals, family (taking care of the kids etc.), age (because yes, there are older members) and work during the week all year 'round for DCA compared to winter weekend camps and all days during the summer for DCI.

bucs to devs

mb to cavies

empire to phantom

hurricanes to cadets

Most people would agree that the top DCI corps are heads and tails above the top DCA corps in terms of presentation of their shows.

It's nearly impossible to polish a show to the level of a top DCI corps in the time alloted. Some of the DCA corps come close and probably, with their talent would be a top corps if all things were equal, but they are not.

Most of the top DCA corps are usually pretty close or better than the corps that have aspirations to the top 12, though.

Performance level wise, they are not as good as DCI corps, but they are also not "aged, intoxicants".

Edited by Martybucs

wait, are you saying that the average Chicago Symphony player won't march as well as the average DCA member? if no, i'm sure they'll make up for it in the music caption.

It would make for an interesting competition....