Saying Good-Bye to DCI, and . . .

How Best to Promote Acoustic-Only Drum and Bugle Corps  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Please select the course of action that best describes your preference for promoting acoustic-only drum and bugle corps

• Continue limited support only to those DCI corps that do not use electronics
    • Start a financial endowment organization that awards a cash prize to the highest placing acoustic only DCI corps
    • Start a financial endownment organization to raise start-up capital for a new acoustic only drum corps association
    • Channel our financial resources and other support to DCA (as long as DCA formally becomes acoustic only)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. I hope I'm wrong.

Amen, my friend. Amen...

Corps (let's just pick out of the top 12) that were NOT completely acoustic in 07

Blue Devils

Cadets

Cavaliers

Phantom Regiment

Santa Clara Vanguard

Carolina Crown

Bluecoats

Blue Knights

Boston Crusaders

Colts

Glassmen

Spirit from JSU

I think these corps generally do well without endowments that support all-acoustic-ness. Have fun with that.

From experience, I can say that is not actually true in DCA.

When I was 18 (21 years ago), I joined a well-regarded senior corps with my HS friend (also 18), and there were a number of teens in the corps. The membership ranged in age from 15 to 52.

When I was 37 (2 years ago), I was in a well-regarded senior corps, we had even more teens in that corps than I saw 19 years earlier. The membership ranged from 15 to 59.

Many DCA corps are getting younger members. The Reading Buccaneers won 3 titles in a row with a very young crew. I was last in the Rochester Crusaders 6 years ago. Most of the membership has turned over since then, and there are many young'ns in the corps alongside the adults.

Maybe society-wide, parents are more reluctant to send their kids to mix with adults, but DCA is bucking that trend - exactly what the prior posters are positing.

That is good to hear.

Crap, man--OP summed up in two sentences what would take me a hundred pages, 8 years of projected financials, and 3 years of research to put together! Not to mention all the legal work that would be required just to set up the shell corporation to oversee things.

Amazing!

I'd be willing to bet that DCA will enact rules that make it look more like DCI of 09 and less like DCI of 99.

Geez, Lance-were we separated at birth??

And kusan, you give people too much credit. I am not familiar with DCA, terribly much, but how does DCA 2007 look compared to DCA 1987?

And kusan, you give people too much credit. I am not familiar with DCA, terribly much, but how does DCA 2007 look compared to DCA 1987?

Sorry - not sure what you mean by the too much credit thing. Can you elaborate please?

I was teaching junior corps in 87, and I was going to march last year but became ill, so I can't compare those exact years. My last year marching DCA was 82 and my most recent DCA finals was 2006. Loved 'em both (preferred 81 to 82 but that's mostly because we made finals).

Hobby corps? Care to explain because I'd love to hear this one.

Edited by skajerk

DCA? it's hobby corps. not exactly the vanguard of the activity. hey, but you can buy beer at finals, right?

..and your DCA experience has been what, exactly, to make such a statement?