The All Unamped Show

I have a horrible feeling that my favorite corps might reject electronics for a while. Any corps that does this will eventually suffer competitively for it. Maybe not for a few years... but electronic instruments are going to "stand out" and create cool effects a lot easier than horns and drums.

The best thing to do in this situation is just embrace it and try to make it awesome. The problem with The Cadets is that their shows are lame and celebrate how everyone in the corps is a total loser ("In high school, I didn't really fit in..." -- holy CRAP). I wish BD or someone would start making some shows that use electronics to show how ###### they are. Then we might see a lot less complaining on DCP.

If Scott Stewart were running Madison, I'd say them.

I lean towards Phantom for some reason.

I don't think anybody will do it. Have you seen any companies, in an industry where offshoring jobs is rampant, run a campaign about not joining that fad? Either no company like that exists, or they are afraid to draw attention to it since they worry that competitive factors will force them to join in someday and they will get roasted for it. I expect just as much from drum corps. If a corps does go out there and try to do it, they won't be officially promoting it as such. They will hope that word-of-mouth will pay off for them instead.

Edited by Tekneek

I say no one, at least not for the reason the OP stated. No corps is going to let "the fan base" dictate how they opperate. You can have 100% support from the fans, have everyone on DCP raving about what a great decision it was, etc... but at the end of the day that won't pay the bills or increase your level of compettitveness. I just don't see any corps being all that interested in making a political statement to "stand against the man".

Edited by BozzlyB

I wish BD or someone would start making some shows that use electronics to show how ###### they are. Then we might see a lot less complaining on DCP.

In fairness to amps/electronics/etc...I thought the "evil laugh" during the space chords this year was pretty much the best "plugged in" moment I've heard so far (that being one that I actually will rewind and listen to again, and not cringe through...).

You're right, though...if people try to move away from the obvious cheese of "Electronic Man: SelfSongs In The Key Of Voltz" and more toward things like Regiment/Blue Knights with a 70+ brass and a piano....or something similar, that change will be a lot more easy to take.

Previous usage just doesn't bode well for all this yet, though... :thumbup:

I don't think any Corp. will go against the competition on this :(... I do think that having an unamped encore would be nice. The only problem would be that there would be no one around who would enjoy it. The alumni fans having left the activity and the newer fans not "getting it." Kinda like the switch from black and white TV to color.... One has to love the medium more then the product.