Frankly

Well this 90% in favour statement you made earlier. I just wondered where that assesment came from. Because every poll on DCP has said the exact opposite. So at best I'm afraid all you have is conjecture.

Oh no, I don't have anything other than conjecture. Never claimed to, actually...but it's folly to assume that DCP is a reflection of DCI's niche market. The schism between the policies favored here and the policies that actually happen should point to that.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im glad you can generalize, condemn, and belittle, so, did your drum corps experience teach you how to do that ?? Just remember.......Im glad you called it the "activity" and thats all that matters to you because its certainly not going to be drum corps anymore.

~G~

IMHO, it really stopped being drum corps when musicians stopped making appearances on battlefields.

Don't take this the wrong way, but this is an excellent case in point. I've made on post, and already, three different posters of the "old guard" mentality have taken issue with it! How can I possibly try and keep up with this, and make a decent argument for my views, when the discussion immediately takes this kind of course? Why would I bother coming here to espouse my beliefs only to be shouted down by multiple people, and to (repeatedly) have my personal character called into question? I don't know how MikeD does it, honestly.

It's fairly easy...you argue your points without referring to people as "retirees with nothing better to do". :music:

Respect (on both sides of this) goes a long, long way towards genuine discussion. Now, you may find that there are a lot of of trolls on either side of these arguments, but I guarantee you there are posters here are who willing to talk about, debate constructively and maintain an open mind while holding onto the other side of the boat on these arguments.

I get your point regarding being ganged up on...but, think about it: what would you do if something that you loved changed and left you feeling like you've been left behind? What recourse do many people have, other than talking through it (even if it is online)?

So - as an extreme example, if the next generation of Americans decide that communism really is the best system and vote it in, you're OK with that because hey! It's their generation and their country now.

Extreme, granted, but exactly parallel.

BTW Cadets 2000 version = brilliance!

Uhh, no because the difference is, I would be able to vote whether or not I wanted to live in a communist society. I cannot vote on whether or not I want electronics in drum corps because I am not on that committee. So I really don't think that's a fair example.

Oh, and thanks for the complement.

Oh no, I don't have anything other than conjecture. Never claimed to, actually...but it's folly to assume that DCP is a reflection of DCI's niche market. The schism between the policies favored here and the policies that actually happen should point to that.

The only schism that really points to is the one between DCP and the BOD, because there is 0 data on the attitude of the Moms and Dads that go support junior when his corps comes close to home. That is, after all, a large part of your crowd. The rest is the real drum corps fans that have (until now at least) driven several parsecs every season and dumped thousands on tickets and souvies. Those are the folks you find here, and most of them disagree strongly with the BOD.

It's fairly easy...you argue your points without referring to people as "retirees with nothing better to do". :music:

Respect (on both sides of this) goes a long, long way towards genuine discussion. Now, you may find that there are a lot of of trolls on either side of these arguments, but I guarantee you there are posters here are who willing to talk about, debate constructively and maintain an open mind while holding onto the other side of the boat on these arguments.

I get your point regarding being ganged up on...but, think about it: what would you do if something that you loved changed and left you feeling like you've been left behind? What recourse do many people have, other than talking through it (even if it online)?

Believe it or not, bawker, "retirees" was me trying to turn it down a notch from the "geezers" I originally put in :guinesssmilie:. Guess I'm still learning that whole self-editing thing. My point was mostly that I have class to go to, kids to teach, instruments to learn etc. etc. and DCP increasingly falls down my list of priorities because of the negative attitudes around here, and I can only imagine that that has happened to others over the course of time...

I guess my answer to the back part of your post is that I'd do more "IRL". Give more money, time, etc. and try to get the ear of others through the power of my contributions...but at the same time, as I've said before, a kid could be playing any instrument or spinning any equipment for me and the activity would still mean to me 99% of what it had when I started.

And believe me, I'm getting ready for the day when it will probably happen when I don't agree with the direction that drum corps is headed, and reminding myself to keep in my mind what's important: that 99%...sometimes it seems like that's asking an awful lot of people around here.

Top Reason why people are adverse to change.

1. THE RISK OF CHANGE IS SEEN AS GREATER THAN THE RISK OF STANDING STILL

2. PEOPLE FEEL CONNECTED TO OTHER PEOPLE WHO ARE IDENTIFIED WITH THE OLD WAY

3. PEOPLE HAVE NO ROLE MODELS FOR THE NEW ACTIVITY

4. PEOPLE FEAR THEY LACK THE COMPETENCE TO CHANGE

5. PEOPLE FEEL OVERLOADED AND OVERWHELMED

6. PEOPLE HAVE A HEALTHY SKEPTICISM AND WANT TO BE SURE NEW IDEAS ARE SOUND

7. PEOPLE FEAR HIDDEN AGENDAS AMONG WOULD-BE REFORMERS

8. PEOPLE FEEL THE PROPOSED CHANGE THREATENS THEIR NOTIONS OF THEMSELVES

9. PEOPLE ANTICIPATE A LOSS OF STATUS OR QUALITY OF LIFE

10. PEOPLE GENUINELY BELIEVE THAT THE PROPOSED CHANGE IS A BAD IDEA

Can #11 be - people have already seen this stuff incorporated into other marching activities and didn't like it there? Whoops, caught myself, I should have said person rather than people, as I don't claim to represent anyone else.

Uhh, no because the difference is, I would be able to vote whether or not I wanted to live in a communist society. I cannot vote on whether or not I want electronics in drum corps because I am not on that committee. So I really don't think that's a fair example.

It's a very fair example. To go back to your house metaphor, that comparison is well off mark because you have entered into a contract and sold all interest in that house, recieving cash for it.

Here's why the government thing is a lot closer. I have not "sold" my interest in DCI, and I can still vote, in a sense, with my feet. The root of my analogy is that you can't expect those of us who helped build, each in our own very tiny way, what you enjoy today to just sit back and take whatever comes along with no opinion, no anger, and no motivation for recourse. Just as you would be if your kid voted in a Marxist Congress. Whatever direction the government takes, it's still your country, right?