A United Drum Corps World

I posted this in another thread, but I feel it needs it's own. Please let me know what you think, and please read the entire post, before commenting.

Okay, rules change, times change, that is a given. But, the level of any high school or college marching band will NEVER reach the level of a DCI corps. (Keep reading).

I realize that people are upset about the recent rules being passed, but to compare the work of (read this carefully) an ALL high school ensemble that is limited to (at least in Texas) 10 hours a week plus class time or a college band that rehearses 3 to 4 shows over a season 10 hours a week respectively (I know there are a few exceptions... UTA) to a majority college music major member organization that spends every hour of the day over a course of 10-15 weeks in the summer, plus the music for many months past that, rehearsing an 11 minute show, is utterly rediculous.

Drum corps is inherently a different experience than "marching band." As an ex-band director and percussion instructor, I know that most band directors in the country (please read that again, I said most not all) think that marching band is a waste of muscial time, where the musicians could be working on "real" works and musical techniques as opposed to being the side show to a brutal sport that results in a lot of physical and physchological injuries in the long run, as we watch those injuries occur in often the worst weather conditions available (UTA ... shut up please). However, as a drummer, I enjoyed marching season much more than "concert" season as most drummers do.

Yet, no matter what changes occur in Drum Corps, the fact is that this is an independent, competitve (somewhat subjective) activity that occurs away from any educational organization (besides JSU, which is loosely organized, 16 year olds can be in Spirit, but not at JSU as often, but I digress) where a limited group of individuals spend the majority of a year perfecting 11 minutes of music. If you were to ask any High School prinicipal or College President to allow the students at their institutions to allow YOU to make the students spend the same amount of time that a drum corps spends on so little amount of music, YOU would be laughed at and immediately LET GO for another candidate.

Drum Corps may incorporate the same styles and ways (including, but not limited to, amphlipication, electronics, and yes even woodwinds, etc.) as a "marching band", but the ideas of solidarity, fraternity, excellence, and competitveness, will NEVER be matched by a high school or COLLEGE marching band. (If you did not know, most music majors HATE college marching band past the first two years. Read that again, I said most not all.)

Either except that this wonderful activity of utter excellent will change with the times and technology, or go away. And stop comparing Drum Corps (with or without electronics, narration, woodwinds) with a high school or college organization which many involved would rather be somewhere else having a party or worrying about math homework, than the members of drum corps who often sacrifice money, family, life and limb for this activity.

DCP needs to unite to celebrate what this activity is.....BRILLIANCE AND DEDICATION. Stop nitpicking the semantics involved.

As long as it exists, I AM DRUM CORPS. As should everyone who has ever been involved with the activity be.

Let's figure out how to get more involved, rather than arguing about why someone should not be involved. Anyone involved with drum corps should love it. No matter what form it may arrive in. There really are more pressing matters to the world than amplification or anything else added to Drum Corps.

Are you entertained and are those currently involved still moved the way we were when we marched? That is all that matters. Get over yourselves.

Regardless of the form, LET'S GET THIS ART FORM OUT FOR OTHERS TO ENJOY! That is the life of Drum Corps. nothing else matters.

I step off my soap box. I only hope that this message may move someone to act for the heart of the activity.

This is Drum Corps. Join Us.

DCP needs to unite to celebrate what this activity is.....BRILLIANCE AND DEDICATION. Stop nitpicking the semantics involved.

The problem, is that what you call "semantics", other people call "the fundamental foundation of the activity".

Also, what Texas band directors did YOU hang around, because the competition is fast and furious down here in Houston. :music:

Either except that this wonderful activity of utter excellent will change with the times and technology, or go away.

Silence the critics.

And stop comparing Drum Corps (with or without electronics, narration, woodwinds) with a high school or college organization

Why? You're doing it.

"Drum and bugle corps" is (was?) just what the name suggests - an activity that uses brass and percussion. That's not semantics - that is the definition of this activity. The activity you speak of would be summer marching band, which already exists elsewhere.

"Brilliance and dedication" could apply to hundreds of activities.

Let's figure out how to get more involved, rather than arguing about why someone should not be involved.

Hey, you were the one who said accept technology, or go away. Take your own advice.

Silence the critics.

Why? You're doing it.

"Drum and bugle corps" is (was?) just what the name suggests - an activity that uses brass and percussion. That's not semantics - that is the definition of this activity. The activity you speak of would be summer marching band, which already exists elsewhere.

"Brilliance and dedication" could apply to hundreds of activities.

Hey, you were the one who said accept technology, or go away. Take your own advice.

Here Here

And stop comparing Drum Corps (with or without electronics, narration, woodwinds) with a high school or college organization which many involved would rather be somewhere else having a party or worrying about math homework, than the members of drum corps who often sacrifice money, family, life and limb for this activity.

I would, but at the meetings this weekend, Tarpon Springs High School was used as an example of excellence in using electronics, and BOA/USSBA is the standard against which drum corps shows are creatively measured, not the other way around as it used to be.

It's a little early to call for unity when the wounds are so fresh for some people, no? :music:

The problem, is that what you call "semantics", other people call "the fundamental foundation of the activity".

Also, what Texas band directors did YOU hang around, because the competition is fast and furious down here in Houston. :music:

I thought UIL practice rule was a max of 8 hours NOT 10,did they change it, when???

"Either except that this wonderful activity of utter excellent will change with the times and technology, or go away."

I believe the poster was suggesting that the activity either changes or risks disappearing, a sentiment with which I agree. Not "love it or leave it".

Either except that this wonderful activity of utter excellent will change with the times and technology, or go away.

We'd love to except the changes, but I guess we will have to accept them.

"Either except that this wonderful activity of utter excellent will change with the times and technology, or go away."

I believe the poster was suggesting that the activity either changes or risks disappearing, a sentiment with which I agree. Not "love it or leave it".

But by changing the activity DOES dissappear. The last hanging thread of a difference between DCI and BOA is woodwinds, and the only fundamental difference the OP is arguing is the performance quality. It's like saying high school football will never be the NFL, but they are both still football.

snip

One of the best threads I've seen around here in a while. Seriously.

I would love it if we could get past these instrumentation arguments and focus on maximizing the potential of what we've been given. Even without WW yet, electronics and amplification open up a whole lot of possibilities for a design staff willing to think outside the box, and I'm genuinely excited to see what they can do with it.

Drum corps just keeps getting better and better in the two most important arenas: innovation and education.