The market is self-correcting

As fans of the work, we do not see it as creative to use the paintbrush less and instead use software. You are not more creative just by using more elements. With these particular elements added the toolbox is diluted. These elements are time/effort savers. Want a small group to be louder, teach them to play louder!

Agree that being creative is not achieved JUST by using more elements...I did not say that it was. It's the use made of the elements that defines the creativity. Whether the toolbox has 5 things in it or 100, those tools just sit there until used. Having 100 things available for use is not diluting anything in the box. A person may use 1, 2, 37 or all 100 of the elements and be creative...or he/she may use the same elements and be totally trite and uncreative. A painting may be "Dogs Playing Poker" or the "Mona Lisa".

Electronics/Amps = Steriods of DCI

Naturally I disagree. :smile:

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree that being creative is not achieved JUST by using more elements...I did not say that it was. It's the use made of the elements that defines the creativity. Whether the toolbox has 5 things in it or 100, those tools just sit there until used. Having 100 things available for use is not diluting anything in the box. A person may use 1, 2, 37 or all 100 of the elements and be creative...or he/she may use the same elements and be totally trite and uncreative. A painting may be "Dogs Playing Poker" or the "Mona Lisa".

Naturally I disagree. :doh:

HEY MIKE!!!!

Why you gotta dis the Mona Lisa like that?

:smile:

I think having electronics in the box means it will be used. The orginal argument was that they are changing the rules to make things easier for creativity, rather than do the work to make things creative with the current methods. These new methods are not just a new form of pencil. It is not a new type of paint. It is a new mechanism to do the painting. I would pay much much more for an original Dogs Playing Poker oil painting than a machine produced Mona Lisa. The final product's value is tied into how it was created.

Why do we value handcrafted Violins over machine produced?

I prefer to hear someone using the mechanics of the instrument to make me enjoy the show. I do not wish to hear someone "turn it up" by dial or speaker. I do not wish to hear programmed sounds.

You like what you like, no doubt. For me, I'd prefer a decent print of the "Mona Lisa" or other masterpiece over someone's hand painted "Dogs Playing Poker".

They are not making is easier to be creative...they are broadening the possibilities. As I said, being creative is how tools are used, not their existence or non-existence.

Electronics/Amps will lead to an I-Robot scenario :smile:

Hmm....have to check my positronic brain for that one.

I'll give you a tool that you can use. To use: Turn it on. Then blink. Poof when eyes open the art is there. You have this tool. But it is not creative to use. There is no creative use for this tool, because of what the tool does. You have broader possiblilites, but you are not as creative using this tool than, say your pen or piano. This is an extreme example, but electronics/amps are on the same line. You can have a tool who's very use takes away no matter how it is used.

Don't be dissin the dogs. Oil paintings from 1903, one of which just sold for well over half a million.

I don't see how using an electronic instrument takes away anything. It's just another voice to be used, and it requires skill as well as any other.

It takes skill to ride a unicycle. It takes skill to be a professional wrestler. It takes skill to wire a house. But all these skills could take away from effect in a DCI show. Electric is not another voice the way DCI has used them since the start of DCI. It is another type of sound. And micing up a small group takes no skill at all for the players, except do the sound check properly. It, to me, takes away skill.

DCI 2012- Miced caged zoo animals are allowed to "further possibilities".

Flying monkeys and use of C4 are on the docket for '12, too.

"Let's blow up that brand spankin' new stadium in Indy! THAT'LL be REALLY creative!!!"

Flying monkeys and use of C4 are on the docket for '12, too.

"Let's blow up that brand spankin' new stadium in Indy! THAT'LL be REALLY creative!!!"

Boy, the corps that goes on next is going to be really ticked off if they can't see the hashmarks .... :smile: