Instructor's caucus

Got a chance to talk to someone at the caucus, and asked him specifically about when Tim's proposals were introduced.

Basically, they ignored him. There was little to no discussion unless it was instigated by Tim. Even then answers and comments were few or not at all. People were giving him dirty looks and avoiding talking to him. They were not willing to discuss any of the financial ramifications at all. Basic costs of operating a corps are skyrocketing, fees are rising to compensate, but let's blow a few grand on amplifiers, speakers and electronic devices. I'd call that irresponsible at best.

When one judge raised a point regarding pits being "too hot" last summer, Tim asked why the scores didn't show it. When asked what he meant, Tim defined it further by asking if a corps is having blend and balance problems why it's not reflected in the scoring. When pressed further for examples, Tim mentioned BD at semifinals. Hoppy shut the discussion down right then.

My question: What do they fear? Why can't they tackle this discussion head-on? If they're so sure of their reasons for introducing new rules they should be able to debate the points and defend their position. Instead they run away or try to ignore any challenge. IMO, they can't defend their actions. Poorly written proposals are submitted and the "creative" people rubber stamp them.

I have a feeling this isn't over yet. The precedent has been set. Tim's proposals should be reintroduced, year after year, until they either start listening to the fans or can reasonably discuss the issues and convince everyone why this is good for drum corps.

Now we know how they feel about us. They don't give a rat's behind. Why should we? Because we're more passionate than they are about the history and traditions of drum corps, about fiscal responsibility, about respecting those that perpetuated the activity so they could have a chance to march and teach.

If I treated my guests in my restaurant like the instructors treated Tim, I wouldn't be in business for very long. Unlike them, I listen to my guests and work hard to perpetuate their patronage.

Garry in Vegas

PS Tim if I ever meet you, the beer's on me!

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I have been told by someone else who was there is that the BOD and many others on staff with various corps are ready for the next level of entertainment, see what they do as being a part of the entertainment business, and feel strongly that electronics will help them do their best and instructors, designers, etc to deliver on that. I am not sure there is any fear in facing proposals like Tim brought forth. I think instead his vision and the vision of most of the people in charge for the future of the activity, are very different.

Nothing really surprising, just sad.....

Tim - yer my hero.

When one judge raised a point regarding pits being "too hot" last summer, Tim asked why the scores didn't show it. When asked what he meant, Tim defined it further by asking if a corps is having blend and balance problems why it's not reflected in the scoring. When pressed further for examples, Tim mentioned BD at semifinals. Hoppy shut the discussion down right then.

I'm just curious. What does "too hot" mean? Was the equipment stolen?

Sorry, just a bit confused.

Well that's one way to decribe the session. Having been there I would say I have a distinctly different impression.

Got a chance to talk to someone at the caucus, and asked him specifically about when Tim's proposals were introduced.

Basically, they ignored him. There was little to no discussion unless it was instigated by Tim. Even then answers and comments were few or not at all. People were giving him dirty looks and avoiding talking to him. They were not willing to discuss any of the financial ramifications at all. Basic costs of operating a corps are skyrocketing, fees are rising to compensate, but let's blow a few grand on amplifiers, speakers and electronic devices. I'd call that irresponsible at best.

My question: What do they fear? Why can't they tackle this discussion head-on? If they're so sure of their reasons for introducing new rules they should be able to debate the points and defend their position. Instead they run away or try to ignore any challenge. IMO, they can't defend their actions. Poorly written proposals are submitted and the "creative" people rubber stamp them.

I have a feeling this isn't over yet. The precedent has been set. Tim's proposals should be reintroduced, year after year, until they either start listening to the fans or can reasonably discuss the issues and convince everyone why this is good for drum corps.

Now we know how they feel about us. They don't give a rat's behind. Why should we? Because we're more passionate than they are about the history and traditions of drum corps, about fiscal responsibility, about respecting those that perpetuated the activity so they could have a chance to march and teach.

If I treated my guests in my restaurant like the instructors treated Tim, I wouldn't be in business for very long. Unlike them, I listen to my guests and work hard to perpetuate their patronage.

Garry in Vegas

PS Tim if I ever meet you, the beer's on me!

Well that's one way to decribe the session. Having been there I would say I have a distinctly different impression.

Perhaps you would care to elaborate?

care to share??? :peek:

So, what is your impression?