They're still good, right?

Yes, I'm an old fogey and I loved my G bugle drum and bugle corps. I'd love to see it back again. I know it ain't gonna happen.

To me drum and bugle corps is gone...however, I'm cool with anyone still calling it that. Beats calling it band.

The shows of today contain all sorts of stuff that make me long for the old days, but there's no denying what is put on the field these days in both DCI and DCA and yes, even HS marching bands is pretty cool.

I argue about the definition of drum and bugle corps all the time with MikeD and some others, but I can't deny the fact that the shows are usually pretty cool and although not drum and bugle corps in my book, very entertaining, irregardless of what it's called.

The battle between DCI being the ultimate and DCA being a pale imitation that can't compete, is too boring for words.

Given their own respective environments, they're a treat, if you can get over yourself.

I'd like to go on record here as an old fogey that loves and misses what a drum and bugle corps was, but to also acknowledge that the kids and designers and staff all do a great job at keeping some form of the activity alive.

And it isn't just the "world class" that represents the activity. It's all divisions and everyone that steps on the field to compete and the people that help them do it that sustains some form of the marching activity. Perhaps someday it will all be gone and no band or corps will be doing it. Until then, try to enjoy.

I personally don't want any electronics, amps, woodwinds, vocals, etc. but it's just an activity and not a life and death struggle for musical truth.

I like a good show. You give me one and I'll buy it. Maybe even a t-shirt or cap.

Just some ramblings from an old phart drum corps guy.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said! I'll still go to shows, but will always long for the old days.

Beats calling it band.

According to the YEA site, it's a "Marching Music Ensemble"...slowly drifting away from drum and bugle corps. :shutup:

According to the YEA site, it's a "Marching Music Ensemble"...slowly drifting away from drum and bugle corps. :shutup:

Well, I argue about the term drum and bugle corps all the time, but I don't think that term will catch on past the YEA site. Too wordy.

Anyway, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet."

How do people do that...? <$1.00 to Bill Shakespeare>

Very well said :shutup:

I can't tell you how wonderful it is to see people simmering down and taking an honest look at the activity again.

First, the OP was well written and I totally agree. We all have issues with the current activity, whether they be on where it once was or where it should go. But I think all of us can find things to like as well, no matter what our definitions might be.

As for the comment above, that these groups have become marching music ensembles, well...they are right. It is a marching music ensemble, but so was a TRUE drum and bugle corps, whatever definition you use for TRUE. They did march, they did play music, hence marching music ensemble. Honestly, we haven't been playing real bugles for a LONG time, so for a lot of people the last two decades have been brass and percussion ensemble, or marching brass and percussion ensemble, or maybe we ought to call it Outdoor Audio Visual Stimulation of the Senses Ensembles. :)

Who knows. But what we do know is that people still play brass, drums, and march on a field. Additionally, they spin flags and rifles, they flash color and dance, they speak and sing, and now they play electronic instruments. Should be interesting, but I find myself more excited about what might come of these changes rather than fearful of what might happen. And as with all things in life, there is much room for adjustment, and I believe the wise corps will utilize good judgment over time when it comes to tweaking the integration of these new toys.

JW

Why do I feel like I was just at a Hillary Clinton news conference the day after and she is in full back-pedal mode?

Why do I feel like I was just at a Hillary Clinton news conference the day after and she is in full back-pedal mode?

One person's back pedal could be another's gain in perspective or knowledge. (BTW don't care for Hillary, so that's a low blow)I'm not a member of a certain political party so I have the option to learn.

What is being argued the changes in drum corps is a valid discussion about pertinent issues. I don't like the changes, but I don't want to hold that against the activity as a whole.

Should one boycott shows to show their dissatisfaction. Go ahead, if that's your style. I don't get to many shows anyhow, but I want to enjoy the few I get to see.

Should I stay irate, upset, frustrated and rail against anyone that would design and march such a show?

I don't know about you, but I've got bigger problems. Besides, I just read Brittany is back in rehab, OH NO! :shutup:

I've noticed in the last few days his approach being different than many in the "legacy" group.