REAL Drum Corps...

REAL Drum Corps  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Did you ever march in a drum corps that had no-valve bugles? (redundant term, I know)

• Yes...and I walked uphill in the snow both ways!
    • No...I never marched in REAL drum corps!
    • I'm exempt...guard, percussion, DM or didn't march at all.

What you're saying is exactly true, but what's wrong with that, if anything?

What would the DCI guy say to the 1865 musician? "It evolved - get over it!"

No kidding. I'm about to go off the deep end here. Derrida would be proud of me, I think.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I neglected to make reference to:

19th century variants based on the standard bugle included keyed bugles and valved bugles. Keyed bugles were invented in England in the early 19th century, with a patent for one design, the Royal Kent bugle, taken out by Joseph Halliday in 1811. This bugle was highly popular and wide in use until c1850.

But I suppose Lance would have trouble accepting this as a bugle too, even if the patent was taken out almost 200 years ago (rib, rib).

I really don't lose sleep over these arguments, maybe from the actual arguing :tongue: , but i love how these always end up in the round about way end up morphing into, what is a bugle? It appears that most people don't know and don't really care anyway. When adaptations were made, we just changed the definition of the word bugle to suit or own liking. Drum corps hasn't used a bugle by its actual definition in a long time, plus instruments change with time anyways. I'm really interested to here what Baroque music actually sounded, it was probably horrible because the instruments sucked. The trumpet and bugle have seen a long transformation, but they are still the same instrument. This debate can't go anywhere because we are never throwing out the word bugle anyway. When anybody who has performed on a G bugle is dead (me), no one will care where their 7 valved A flat mellophonium came from. :shutup:

But wait, there's more:

http://www.tapsbugler.com/HistoryoftheBugl...ftheBugle1.html

The basic difference between bugles and trumpets is found in the shape of the bell. The musical definition of a

trumpet (natural trumpet) is that of a horn which has two thirds of its length in the form of a cylindrical tube -

usually it is five sixths of the total length. A bugle has a conical shape through-out.

And:

Natural trumpets and bugles, unlike the modern three-valved instruments today, can only produce a limited number of notes found in the harmonic series of a single fundamental tone.

What? Those instruments allowed by DCI are bastardized versions of natural trumpets? How dare they change a natural trumpet and still call it a trumpet?

I think the point of the OP is, (almost) none of us ever marched in a true drum and BUGLE corps, so we should quit complaining and saying "they aren't bugles anymore". Am I right?

thats the way i understood it.