Star of Indiana - Colorguard

I do not know too much about colorguard overall - but had a question regarding Star's guard.

Normally, when people talk about Star's influence on Drum Corps, it is in the brass/drill area. At the time, was their colorguard considered innovative (besides '93, which I know was quite radical)?

Thanks!

I do not know too much about colorguard overall - but had a question regarding Star's guard.

Normally, when people talk about Star's influence on Drum Corps, it is in the brass/drill area. At the time, was their colorguard considered innovative (besides '93, which I know was quite radical)?

Thanks!

I'm just going to give my opinion . . . and hopefully it won't offend anyone. Remember, it's just my opinion, nothing else.

For me, the only year in which Star's color guard brought something interesting to the table was '93. The other years, I felt that they were a bit weak in technique, especially when compared with guards in the other top corps. They used a lot of interesting equipment, but for me, it was pretty jewelry without much substance. For better or worse, Star's guard was essentially an extension of the drill. They were like the icing on the visual cake. But other guards brought a lot more to the table than just icing.

(Yeesh, I think I've taken that simile as far as it will go!)

However, '93 was a pleasant surprise. Finally they looked like a real guard to me. The poles were an interesting idea, but they didn't stop there. They had some really superb work with a lot of demand, and they looked like they had honed their technique beyond readability to true cleanliness. So, in my opinion, '93 was the only year in which Star's guard was as innovative as the corps, itself.

Didn't they have a big overhaul in guard staff in 93? Would make sense.

I'm just going to give my opinion . . . and hopefully it won't offend anyone. Remember, it's just my opinion, nothing else.

For me, the only year in which Star's color guard brought something interesting to the table was '93. The other years, I felt that they were a bit weak in technique, especially when compared with guards in the other top corps. They used a lot of interesting equipment, but for me, it was pretty jewelry without much substance. For better or worse, Star's guard was essentially an extension of the drill. They were like the icing on the visual cake. But other guards brought a lot more to the table than just icing.

(Yeesh, I think I've taken that simile as far as it will go!)

However, '93 was a pleasant surprise. Finally they looked like a real guard to me. The poles were an interesting idea, but they didn't stop there. They had some really superb work with a lot of demand, and they looked like they had honed their technique beyond readability to true cleanliness. So, in my opinion, '93 was the only year in which Star's guard was as innovative as the corps, itself.

I agree totally with Sue on this. However much as they improved in 93, they had to stand up against the Cadets guard which I thought was superb that year, The Cavaliers guard(no bias there at all), and the Blue Devils guard. When you isolate Star's guard, their improvement was dramatic. When you compare them to the others around them, not so dramatic IMO.

In the early years of Star, THe guard was more like a backdrop or extension of a theme. Technique was fine but difficulty was almost non-existent. Pageantry, props, story teliing enhancement and staging were the status quoe. Espeically years like 1986 and 1987. By 1988 THey presented a more mature look and feel to both costuming and design of repetoire.

1989 is often overlooked and underappreciated and due to the fact that the corps as a whole took stunning strides upward, going west, beating and tieing the Blue Devils, the guard gets oversahdowed by the overall success that year. Wearing multiple authentic costumes andusing traditional equipment, the design and demand of the content really started to take off.

1990 Was stunning in their use of costuming, staging and color. Silks were effective and ful of GE and overshadowed the really good technique the guard had gained throughout their existence, 1991 was basically an extension of that style.

1992 is often criticized for their "pandering" to the lowest common denominator in the stands as a more accessible, somewhat "cheezy" approach was taken and a glitzy, self indulging design was incorporated into the program. Red, white, blues, silvers, golds, lame' galore and bright uniforms again, kept technique in the back seat.

1993, so minimal yet so full of content. The guard really matured as they stripped back the GE, ultimately adding the most of any years offerings. Solid, innovative, aggressive design and outstanding performance, especially in regards to ensemble gave this guard their come-upance and really started to carry their weight.

~G~

The problem with Star (for me) was always their guard.

The most notable exception being '93 when they brought in Bill Jurberg who totally changed the style and technique of the guard. That show remains of the the most musical expressions of flag work I have ever seen.

Apart from '93 - the guard had always been relegated to just adding GE through the use of costuming and props and remained the weak point of the corps for years - 1987 being particulary rough!

I agree that the guard made strides in '89 but went back to "all flash" in '90. It always seemed like Star was so busy pushing the creative and technical limits of the music and visual programs that the guard was left to its own devices.

We also have to remember that guard scores didn't count back then. I have a strong feeling that their overall placements would have been lower had the guard counted (except for '93 of course).

Kudos to '86 though - for daring to be bizarre and different. For some reason that show always made me smile.

Later,

Mike

Kudos to '86 though - for daring to be bizarre and different. For some reason that show always made me smile.

Later,

Mike

Remember to ask me some 1986 stories the next time we see each other ;) You'll really be smiling when you hear some of the "techniques" used to design that show. LOL!!!!

Remember to ask me some 1986 stories the next time we see each other ;) You'll really be smiling when you hear some of the "techniques" used to design that show. LOL!!!!

hey Sara - now you've got me really curious!!!!!!!! I loved their '86 show! Now the Mickey Mouse one :thumbup: (but that's probably 'cause you kept beating us).

Later,

Mike

• 2 months later...

been away for awhile...sorry for resurrecting an old post. I agree with Sue 100% as well. Yes, the staff was completely overhauled for '93...it's really too bad they didn't get these guys in sooner. '93 was the first year I felt the colorguard was on par with the rest of the corps (no offense ladies). I was really looking forward to seeing what they would've done on the field in '94 and beyond....sigh