BDE Invited to pro bowl

The story is on DCI now,

what an awesome opportunity!!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dirty Dirty Dirt. They honestly looked like a bunch of guys they took off the street who liked to hit things with sticks. There was no significant rythm and I don't think that even Jerry Sloan could have beat a down beat into them. I honestly felt like I was watching a really really really bad high school---make that Junior HIgh School drum line.............

At one performance, I turned to my converted-to-drum-corps-freak brother and he just shook his head and said "That wasn't even close to anything that I saw at DCI last year" and went on to explain drum corps to his working associate there with him and how "real drum lines" don't suck this bad.

Maybe they are better now. Who knows? I haven't been to a game for a few weeks. I was just surprised to see that BDE was involved or is involved with them now.

BUT if the way this drum is playing is somehow linked to the Jazz winning, then they can suck all they want. GO JAZZ!!!!

Suck according to who? You? A person with an obvious literate background of music and performance? Take this for what it's worth, but BDE is for exactly what its name suggests: ENTERTAINMENT. Maybe a few people in the stands had a substantial amount of knowledge when it comes music and drumming, but odds are that the majority of those fans are clueless and wouldn't have been able to tell if a buzz roll was clean or dirty, if the tempo dragged a few beats, etc... As far as the "That wasn't even close to anything that I saw at DCI last year" comment, you're absolutely right, because it's not DCI. It's an NBA gig for the crowd to enjoy. No judges, no scores... To say that "real drum lines don't suck this bad" is unclassy and a real slap in the face to those people who participate.

I'm sorry to somewhat go into a rant over this, but as someone who has played with an NBA drumline, to expect everything to be perfectly clean and to the caliber of what you see in the summer from drum corps is just dumb.

I think I remember reading a story one time about the Cavs putting on an exhibition at a Bears game, and an alcohol induced fan wanted to trade one of the guys his beer for a Cavaliers hat. Very serious stuff. :thumbdown:

I know BDE is behind the Phoenix Suns PHX Percussion thing, but I don't in what capacity (if at all) they're involved with the Jazz.

And yeah, if you were seriously expecting a finals-week clean DCI performance during half-time, you were expecting the wrong thing. The average semi-drunk Joe at an NBA game couldn't care less about clean rolls or Shirley Murphy's Egg-Beating Flam-Drag Cheese 5's. All they care about is "Those iz some phat beetz, yo!"

Edited by MagicBobert

Gotta play the disagree card with those of you who think its okay that it's dirty. Do these lines need to be dci finals week clean? No. But they should be clean. I was at a Pistons game last week, and man can that drumline play. I know most of them are former Northcoast Academy members and members of the Michigan State Drumline, and it shows in their performance. They put on a heck of a show after a victory. They play Clean, loud, with energy, and keep fans having a great time on their way out and during the game. And their post victory show is almost near that of an indoor line with choreography and notes. If you're going to be a part of it, why not do it right and play great?

Gotta play the disagree card with those of you who think its okay that it's dirty.

Nobody said it's ok to play dirty. We said don't expect finals-week clean.

No love for the original NFL drumline, huh? They need to get the Broncos drumline in there... 'cause I'd love a trip to Hawaii right now. :)

I have to say, I've enjoyed listening to and watching Stampede the few times I've seen them. Then again, BK usually does produce stellar lines, especially outside of DCI.

You are all right in the assessment of my lame comments about the Utah Jazz Drumline......

I really shouldn't be expecting perfection from a gig who practices once or twice a week at most.....especially since it is not a DCI week kind of thing....

But why would the BD organization be proud of putting an unacceptable presentation out on the floor--that someone has payed for nontheless?

And to refute the fact that most fans find it entertaining---it just was not the case--seriously a real snoozer. I could have sloshed a turd in a bucket and gotten more applause.

I compare it to the Detroit gig that someone wrote about, and they were not loud, not clean, and especially not energetic.

I do see the point of me being a jerk and judging them too harshly on their performance, but knowing that they ARE BEING PAID to do what they are doing doesn't really help my opinion of them (unless someone can tell me otherwise--cause i will feel really bad if all they are getting is a hot dog and a coke).

We can all say what we want, and i enjoy the discussion, but i know what i saw, and so do the other 20,000 people who were there. Yawner.

at least there is always the NSJD.....

http://www.nba.com/jazz/dance/Meet_the_200...zz_Dancers.html