True Creativity

I can name two right off the top of my head and both came from SCV. The sounds of the incoming helicopter in thier Miss Saigon show. They used the heads of bass drums. Pure genius. So much that Kiwanis and Empire copied it when they did their Miss Saigon show. And let's not forget the PVC drums they created. Again, another stroke of genius (even if they got the idea from Blue Man Group).

Good ones. The helicopter reference reminded me of another example from this past year. Phantom using the drums for the fluttering effect of a flock of birds at the beginning of their show. That's amazing in and of itself because they did it in the era of amplification, and didn't use any.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else think of any unique ways that corps were able to use true "inginuity and creativity" and at the same time accomplish a really cool effect?

I forget which year (mid 1970's) but it was in SCV's first drum break to set up Young Person's Guide. The snares had a peculiar, almost tinny high pitch for the crush rolls. I was told that they had attached semi-circular tubes to the inside of the drum shell and played over top of that to get the effect. I don't know that for a fact, can someone from SCV please confirm or refute this?

I've been sitting at home all day sick with the flu. The only real up-side to that is that while sitting at home I've been watching some great drum corps. This being a luxury I barely have time for any more. But getting to the point, I began thinking a lot about creativity and what it means to me. With all the talk over the past few years amongst the board of directors on rules about creativity, it made me come to the following dilemma:

What's more creative? Finding a new way to present an idea using the same tools you've always had, or finding new tools that fit your idea?

Yes.

Creative is the use made of any of the available materials, not the materials themselves.

doing more with less is way more difficult than doing more with more..in fact, having more almost requires you do do more, which can detract from what you already have.

a boy that can build a scale model of the eiffel tower with popsicle sticks and elmer's glue is more impressive to me than the mega-construction company that does it with numerous building compounds.

more with less is true creativity, and that's what made drum corps great...bugles, drums, guard...

plus mallets, narration and singing.

Not only that, the premise of true creativity coming from limitations is also saying that designers and arrangers from many decades ago were much more creative than those of today since they had so many limitations. Now, I am sure some of them were extremely talented, but I think that is an absurd premise. Sorry if this point has already been covered.

doing more with less is way more difficult than doing more with more..in fact, having more almost requires you do do more, which can detract from what you already have.

Am I not paying close enough attention here, or did you just contradict yourself?

I guess more is ok as long as you did it with a lot of limitations. :thumbup:

Yes.

Creative is the use made of any of the available materials, not the materials themselves.

if someone came up to you and asked you how you define creativity, or asked you a few decades ago in class, and that was your answer, im pretty sure they'd respond with ".....what are you talking about? i asked you what creativity was."

all you did was mention your preference for drum corps instrumentation, and completely ignore what someone was asking.

i have a pen, pencil, and a permanent marker on my desk right in front of me. if i used all three to draw a straight line down a piece of paper (also on my desk), that's a reflection of what you call "creative?"

thanks go out to whoever it was that mentioned scv '91, because thats what i was going to say too. if you seriously heard them doing that, and honestly thought "that's cool, but i wish dci was more lenient with their use of different instrumentation so i could hear a sampler kit reproduce helicopter noises instead of that drumline doing it," then you've completely missed the point. it's a conceptual question and a conceptual issue. obviously that doesnt mean anything to you, and probably never has.

thanks go out to whoever it was that mentioned scv '91, because thats what i was going to say too. if you seriously heard them doing that, and honestly thought "that's cool, but i wish dci was more lenient with their use of different instrumentation so i could hear a sampler kit reproduce helicopter noises instead of that drumline doing it," then you've completely missed the point. it's a conceptual question and a conceptual issue. obviously that doesnt mean anything to you, and probably never has.

word :thumbup:

if someone came up to you and asked you how you define creativity, or asked you a few decades ago in class, and that was your answer, im pretty sure they'd respond with ".....what are you talking about? i asked you what creativity was."

all you did was mention your preference for drum corps instrumentation, and completely ignore what someone was asking.

i have a pen, pencil, and a permanent marker on my desk right in front of me. if i used all three to draw a straight line down a piece of paper (also on my desk), that's a reflection of what you call "creative?"

Say WHAT? I said...'creative' is the use made of the available materials, NOT their existence. It's the skills of the person using the available tools, in whatever medium you want to discuss. I made no reference at all to 'drum corps instrumentaion'.

So no, I did indeed answer the question.

What gives you the right to make such disgusting value judgements about me like that? I 'got' the point. The 'point' is that someone is claiming that there is only one way to be most creative, and I disagree. I don't around making personal comments aimed at you, so knock it off.

YOU are the one harping on the 'instrumentation', not me.