Would you automatically dislike

it's doubtful, especially if it's American Idiot.

I hate pretty much everything about Green Day, and their newest stuff makes me hate them more.

~>conner

Hate is a pretty strong word for a rock band. Their last album criticizes the war and homophobic politics.

A few years back when I marched Div3 a corps played Metallica, can't for the life of me remember who it was, but is was pretty bad. And I mean bad bad, not good bad. The kids were pretty talented, but the writing stunk, it's just too hard to bring across with open class corps. There just aren't enought horns. Lots of groups have done other similar things like EWF etc, but staight rock is pretty much impossable to write for a small line, and even if it weren't why would you want to? I can see the advantage of a less challanging book, but I can just see someone throwing down a typical 5 chord like greendays brainstew...not pretty. Closest thing I can think of was Madison playing Led Zeplin last season, and while entertaining, it wasn't the whole show either.

I’m not overly familiar with all of Green Day’s music, but there is a ton of Peter Gabriel music that could translate nicely onto the field (actually, Velvet Knights already performed Peter Gabriel back in 1979.) With regard to the general concept of an all “rock” show, it’s already been done very effectively… BD’s Tommy was a great show; I wasn’t a big fan of The Cadets’ Living with the Past, but I know many others enjoyed this show; and Glassmen did a good job with the Moody Blues show in 1994. A lot of other rock bands/performers have been brought to the field… Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Metallica, Billy Joel (he was considered "rock" at least at the early stage of his career), etc. I wouldn’t have ever thought a Bjork ballad would become one of my all time favorite drum corps ballads and last year, Crown certainly showed that Rolling Stones and drum corps are a great fit, so bring on Green Day and (more) Peter Gabriel. It sure would beat having to listen to WST or Malaguena again.

Who played Bjork? I liked Spirits version of Imogin Heap's hid and seek. VK played it too, but butchered it.

do people dislike teal sound for doing metallica or trans siberian orchestra

person mentioned carolina crown.. or atleast i think they did.. and they did queen.

dutchboy did south park which is a quirky show on its own.

so i dont see an issue or why it would matter much.. it would be one of the more popular shows if done well

Depends on the corps, in my opinion, and the audience it's intended for. A world class corps wouldn't be able to pull it off - frankly, most rock songs take too long to develop, tempos don't really match up well and there's not a lot of room for DCI-caliber percussion writing.

My corps (World Gone Mad) *does* play rock music - that's all we do, actually - but we're intended more as a standstill group aimed at local audiences (more of the mini corps route). I think that's where it would be more effective, especially to audiences that don't know corps.

Anyways, there's my .02.

Mike

Depends on the corps, in my opinion, and the audience it's intended for. A world class corps wouldn't be able to pull it off - frankly, most rock songs take too long to develop, tempos don't really match up well and there's not a lot of room for DCI-caliber percussion writing.

This is why we have arrangers...to make it work at any level we want it to. Unless, of course, you are one of those "true to the score" kind of people.