Seattle Cascades 08 Season Announcement

*removed*

Edited by str8lgz4lyf

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are? I know one pretty good corps that always struggles to fill their line every year :laughing:

Nearly everyone that is not one of the elite drum corps struggles to some degree to fill out the corps (and even some of the elite do too from time to time). But they also don't make a ton of excuses either. They pin their ears back and get the job done.....

Nearly everyone that is not one of the elite drum corps struggles to some degree to fill out the corps (and even some of the elite do too from time to time). But they also don't make a ton of excuses either. They pin their ears back and get the job done.....

Ok, i can go with that...

That sounds like a great idea. I know Parker Bixbey at Mercer Island. He is a very good musician and a great teacher. If you could get his support behind this it would go a long way.

I'm hoping it'll work. We'll see though. I'm thinking about asking some Seattle schools as well to let me talk to their band program about it. Even if I don't get as many recruits as I would like, at least I prompted some awareness of the activity.

I don't know when our mini tour schedule will be posted, but if it ends before finals, maybe a few of us Cascades could go out to major DCI events and sell merchandise just like the Troopers in '06. I'll even use my left over tuition money (since I was almost paid before the tour was canceled anyway) to make some nice generic DCI shirts. Perhaps a vet friend from last year who is an incredible artist could help. It might not make too much profit, but it would also help raise awareness of the corps returning in 2009 and maybe that would spur some excitement from some potential new members. We'll see though. :)

I am also familiar with the landscape in WA and OR and I think that there are plenty of marching band in the area to make a drum corps out of.

Evergreen HS, Kamiak HS, Cascade HS, Mead HS, Pasco HS, Aloha HS are just a few of the better competitive bands in the pacific northwest. There are also schools like Mercer Island that has an enormous marching band, that don't compete.

As I stated earlier, there are not a lot of marching band to choose from in Wisconsin or Wyoming either. But you don't see that stopping Madison, Blue Stars, and Troopers from finding members. How many marching bands are in Casper? Do you know how many people from the state of Wyoming were in the troopers horn line last year? None. Not a single one, but they still filled out a 64 person line last year. I am sure madison and blue stars had its fair share of out of staters too.

As a graduate from Kamiak HS, I would have to agree. I honestly think that moving to Vancouver hurt them. There are a lot of very talented kids in WA. The problem is that the percentage of staff involved in the NW Drum Corps scene is dwindling. Kamiak has a few that are on staff at OC, so obviously they make the trip there (see: recruiting). I don't even know if Cascade has any staff that teach in drum corps... but I'm not sure. Mead HS has Spokane Thunder staff. Pasco has Cascade members teaching (I THINK?) but the drive is farther. And I am not sure about Aloha. But when I marched in 02 and 03, I live 15 mins from the camp location. It was incredibly convenient for us, and even though there wasn't any current staff at our high school that taught drum corps, they had taught the Cascades in the past. Evergreen HS has a lot of Cascades kids pulled from it. But a good percentage of the staff (and caption heads) teach at Cascades.

Having 2 corps rehearsing 30 mins of each other makes it difficult. I think the only state that can pull it off is CA. I understand it was the smartest move for the staff, etc... but all I am saying is it doesn't make things any easier to recruit from word of mouth.

I'm hoping it'll work. We'll see though. I'm thinking about asking some Seattle schools as well to let me talk to their band program about it. Even if I don't get as many recruits as I would like, at least I prompted some awareness of the activity.

I don't know when our mini tour schedule will be posted, but if it ends before finals, maybe a few of us Cascades could go out to major DCI events and sell merchandise just like the Troopers in '06. I'll even use my left over tuition money (since I was almost paid before the tour was canceled anyway) to make some nice generic DCI shirts. Perhaps a vet friend from last year who is an incredible artist could help. It might not make too much profit, but it would also help raise awareness of the corps returning in 2009 and maybe that would spur some excitement from some potential new members. We'll see though. :)

That is a really good idea. Here is another one. I tried to go to the Cascades website and donate 40.00 as requested by a Cascade staffer, but I can't for the life of me, find any simple way to do it. The best I could do was send a check to a Cascade mailing address and that didn't even have the zipcode on it. Some real serious web updating needs to be done. There is no store, and I know that I would have also bought merchandise had there been one. There is a big gap in asking for donations and giving someone an easy way to do it. Now, if I missed something obvious, please point that out to me and I may donate again.

That is a really good idea. Here is another one. I tried to go to the Cascades website and donate 40.00 as requested by a Cascade staffer, but I can't for the life of me, find any simple way to do it. The best I could do was send a check to a Cascade mailing address and that didn't even have the zipcode on it. Some real serious web updating needs to be done. There is no store, and I know that I would have also bought merchandise had there been one. There is a big gap in asking for donations and giving someone an easy way to do it. Now, if I missed something obvious, please point that out to me and I may donate again.

No, you didn't miss anything. I think they need to set up a few donation options. Maybe an online one through paypal and a good mailing address. They really need the website updated weekly at the very least and still, that doesn't happen. I don't know who is in charge of that as of now.

If for some reason Cascades do not have the numbers in 2009 to truly put out a killer World Class program product, I think it could be a smarter idea to drop back to Open Class. Open Class corps do not have to tour for for two months straight.

Neither do world-class units.

If it's any help, the zip code is 98072-8564. I looked it up on the USPS website. But, you're absolutely right. That information should most certainly be on the Cascades website. If they make it difficult for people to donate, then they're missing an opportunity to raise some much-needed funds.

I am hoping that is the zip that I put. I went to the city website and used what was there. Either way, albeit small, it is on its way.