Seattle Cascades 08 Season Announcement

84skyrydr, thank you so much for your contribution, every little bit helps. There is another way to donate to the corps. Anyone can join the NYMA, which is the parent organization to the Cascades. Simply go to http://www.nwyouthmusic.org/ or follow the NYMA link on the Cascades website and choose a sponsership level of anywhere from $25 - $1,000. There are benefits available depending on which level you choose.

I'm putting out a challange to all NW drum corps alumni to join the NYMA for at least the $25 level. I'm sure all of you have at least $25 laying around that you could give to the corps rather than spending it at Starbucks for one month (they have enough of our money). This corps made me into the person I am today and I know it changed many of you as well. If we all joined, it would seriously reduce the amount of debt and help the Cascades get back on the road in 2009 and the future.

I also encourage all fans, past and present parents, and supporters to join the organization and help restore this corps.

Thanks, I'll get off my soap box now :laughing:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that this was a gutsy decision and I hope that the corps returns bigger and better than ever in 2009. I am sad that they wont be touring nationally in 2008 but look what a year of reorganisation did for the Troopers! To all the members of the Cascades... Please stay the course. Dont give up on this fine organisation and I wish you all the best of luck for this and next summer!

I think that these type of decisions should have been discussed and announced earlier in the season. I also can't help but think that this is more of a "sugar coating" way of saying goodbye for the Cascades. I sure hope that it is not. Lets face it, many of the corps that go "inactive" today, rarely come back. Troopers has been the only exception recently. Capital Regiment, seemed like a stable corps before they went inactive, and had all these plans on coming back this season--but what happened? The Magic?

It may be a little harder to recruit in that area, due to the density being spread out in pockets across the state. With how high the tuition cost have been over the years, a member could go march a top tier corps for the same amount of money (minus plane tickets and such).

Our donations may help, but I think the corps will need more than that. Do you think that Capital Regiment, and corps in their situation did not have people waiting to help them? It takes more than a few individuals sending in $40 checks. The administration of these corps have to play a big role in the funding as well.

As for the members leaving and going to other corps because of how they were "treated"--I disagree. I think everyone on the 2007 Cascades Staff were in it for the kids. There was no brass caption head at these camps this year, and it is not the tech staff members job to recruit. With no caption head in command, there was nothing in place to get those brass numbers up.

Unfortunately, Cascades have developed a bad reputation in the Northwest drum corps scene. Now Oregon Crusaders are starting to make a comeback, and could possibly be the next "Premier Northwest Corps." I thought that there were these big plans to reshape the Cascades, so they would be stronger starting in 2007? The ball was dropped. Doing a limited tour may be good for those members that DO stick around, but usually when someone leaves a corps, and goes somewhere better (not just competitively), they will rarely come back. Division I corps are competitive, and that is the reason why a majority of the members join them. Sure the meeting friends, bonding, and fraternal part of the activity is all part of the mix, but when it all comes down to it, we want competition. If there were no competition, we wouldn't be having these problems that we have today.

The Northwest has 3 drum corps, and it might just be that this region can not support 3 drum corps yet. We talk about California, and how it can happen there, but that is a different setup. There is a lot more going on in terms of music education (and marching/pageantry) in that state. The density and location of band programs and corps is just great! Blue Devils and Vanguard are about the same distance from each other as Cascades and Oregon Crusaders, yet BD and SCV do not struggle to fill their corps. Oregon Crusaders is filling up their corps, because of their accomplished staff. Many members of the Cascades (last season) were former Oregon Crusaders who came over because of the staff who went to teach Cascades last season. It should not surprise that they would go back to something more stable, and we certainly can not fault them. From what I was told, a lot of the lead players at Cascades last year, were top tier quality, so it does not surprise me that they are now marching in top tier corps this year. When situations like this occur, the members have to do what is best for them.

For all you Cascades alumni and current members out there--you can not tell me that you yourself have not thought about auditioning for another corps, for a better experience OR maybe you have auditioned for another corps. Or, had you made the corps (BD or etc) you can not say you would have turned it down to stay with Cascades.

Cascades has become a feeder corps, and to me that has also hurt the corps. Kids show up saying "I will never leave the Cascades" and then turn around and march Blue Devils, Vanguard, Cadets, etc... Why are these kids leaving? Is it the staff? the food? administration? competitive status? who knows... From 2002 to 2003 the vet retention rate was pretty high (given the obvious), and from then on, it seems as if things have been down hill.

I have tried to be optimistic, but I honestly do not see anything good coming out of this. I think this announcement is more of a way of saying "we are going inactive"--because like it or not, that is what will most likely happen this season. I'd like to know who actually shows up for this March camp. Doing a limited tour like this, you will want your musicians to be polished and clean--to provide you with a great recruiting tool, otherwise you will not be showing anything that will attract.

Best of luck!

I think that these type of decisions should have been discussed and announced earlier in the season. I also can't help but think that this is more of a "sugar coating" way of saying goodbye for the Cascades. I sure hope that it is not. Lets face it, many of the corps that go "inactive" today, rarely come back. Troopers has been the only exception recently. Capital Regiment, seemed like a stable corps before they went inactive, and had all these plans on coming back this season--but what happened? The Magic?

It may be a little harder to recruit in that area, due to the density being spread out in pockets across the state. With how high the tuition cost have been over the years, a member could go march a top tier corps for the same amount of money (minus plane tickets and such).

Our donations may help, but I think the corps will need more than that. Do you think that Capital Regiment, and corps in their situation did not have people waiting to help them? It takes more than a few individuals sending in $40 checks. The administration of these corps have to play a big role in the funding as well.

As for the members leaving and going to other corps because of how they were "treated"--I disagree. I think everyone on the 2007 Cascades Staff were in it for the kids. There was no brass caption head at these camps this year, and it is not the tech staff members job to recruit. With no caption head in command, there was nothing in place to get those brass numbers up.

Unfortunately, Cascades have developed a bad reputation in the Northwest drum corps scene. Now Oregon Crusaders are starting to make a comeback, and could possibly be the next "Premier Northwest Corps." I thought that there were these big plans to reshape the Cascades, so they would be stronger starting in 2007? The ball was dropped. Doing a limited tour may be good for those members that DO stick around, but usually when someone leaves a corps, and goes somewhere better (not just competitively), they will rarely come back. Division I corps are competitive, and that is the reason why a majority of the members join them. Sure the meeting friends, bonding, and fraternal part of the activity is all part of the mix, but when it all comes down to it, we want competition. If there were no competition, we wouldn't be having these problems that we have today.

The Northwest has 3 drum corps, and it might just be that this region can not support 3 drum corps yet. We talk about California, and how it can happen there, but that is a different setup. There is a lot more going on in terms of music education (and marching/pageantry) in that state. The density and location of band programs and corps is just great! Blue Devils and Vanguard are about the same distance from each other as Cascades and Oregon Crusaders, yet BD and SCV do not struggle to fill their corps. Oregon Crusaders is filling up their corps, because of their accomplished staff. Many members of the Cascades (last season) were former Oregon Crusaders who came over because of the staff who went to teach Cascades last season. It should not surprise that they would go back to something more stable, and we certainly can not fault them. From what I was told, a lot of the lead players at Cascades last year, were top tier quality, so it does not surprise me that they are now marching in top tier corps this year. When situations like this occur, the members have to do what is best for them.

For all you Cascades alumni and current members out there--you can not tell me that you yourself have not thought about auditioning for another corps, for a better experience OR maybe you have auditioned for another corps. Or, had you made the corps (BD or etc) you can not say you would have turned it down to stay with Cascades.

Cascades has become a feeder corps, and to me that has also hurt the corps. Kids show up saying "I will never leave the Cascades" and then turn around and march Blue Devils, Vanguard, Cadets, etc... Why are these kids leaving? Is it the staff? the food? administration? competitive status? who knows... From 2002 to 2003 the vet retention rate was pretty high (given the obvious), and from then on, it seems as if things have been down hill.

I have tried to be optimistic, but I honestly do not see anything good coming out of this. I think this announcement is more of a way of saying "we are going inactive"--because like it or not, that is what will most likely happen this season. I'd like to know who actually shows up for this March camp. Doing a limited tour like this, you will want your musicians to be polished and clean--to provide you with a great recruiting tool, otherwise you will not be showing anything that will attract.

Best of luck!

Ah ha, some very good points and the closest so far to explaining the problems with the Cascades.

Edited by Strutters '72