Question for current/hopeful future DCI members

1. My high school band director, former brass staff for a couple of top 8 corps including BD, shows drum corps videos during band camp to give us a sense of what we should be trying to get to. That, plus there have been some talented people who I look up to who have done or are doing drum corps, and I want to be as good or better than they are.

2. Not really. It just doesn't matter that much. As long as there's still low brass, I'll still be interested.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually you didnt. The original post I was referring to was written by someone else, so we've been arguing about nothing for the past half hour.

Yay :tongue:

Oh good, it wasn't just me then as I did the same thing. :worthy:

And Darklord... OK, was wondering what you meant by electronics...

This poses an interesting question, one that is representative of the problem at large: is there a universal definition as to what "drum corps" really is? Some people feel that drum corps ceased being drum corps when they added valves. Others feel it's the changes in drill design. Others feel it was the switch to Bb. Others feel like it was amplification. Others feel like it was the use of voice. Others feel like it's electronic instruments. Others feel like it's the addition of woodwinds.

This is the heart of the issue. There are so many different stages in the history of the activity (as well as stages yet to come), and everyone has an opinion on each stage. Everyone draws their proverbial "line in the sand" at a different place. And that is exactly why changes will never be initiated by the fans. The lack of a truly unified opinion and the lack of numbers in any one camp makes any fan-motivated changes impossible. At best, in this scenario, a drop in the bucket may be accomplished. But real sweeping changes in DCI will never come to fruition.

However, it does seem as though the "I hate woodwinds" theme runs strong through here, and I can't I say I disagree. It surely doesn't mean that the experience of being in a drum corps would change, as the members would still have everything to gain. But the addition of woodwinds in the near future could be truly catastrophic for the fan base of DCI. The age group that would be most enthusiastic about such a change would most likely not even be old enough to drive to a DCI event, nor have enough money to buy tickets at that point.

This is the calm before the storm.

This poses an interesting question, one that is representative of the problem at large: is there a universal definition as to what "drum corps" really is?

I don't think you will ever get a definitive answer. At best you may get a vague definition by concensus when enough fans tire of what DCI becomes at a given point, be it electronics, woodwinds or kazoos. There will always be some that love whatever comes along, but I believe there will be a point at which DCI must rein in and perhaps reverse some of it's decisions in order to continue to attract (and win back) drum corps fans. At that time we may be able to say, by concensus, that this was the tipping point for the majority.

For myself, I've already tipped. :tongue:

Edited by kusankusho

Wow, this is a rough subject.

Oh good, it wasn't just me then as I did the same thing. :tongue:

And Darklord... OK, was wondering what you meant by electronics...

By electronics, I mean ams/voice. I don't really have an opinion on electronic instruments, as I've never heard them implemented in a drum corps show.

This poses an interesting question, one that is representative of the problem at large: is there a universal definition as to what "drum corps" really is?

<only snipped due to length - good stuff>

IMO, "What Is Drum Corps?" is very subjective, kinda like "What is Art?" :tongue:

Over the decades I've heard dozens of what is/isn't Drum Corps from dozens of people of varying ages and backgrounds. Then over the last few years I found DCP and ####, make that few more dozen new definitions. :worthy:

Personally I go with another art cliche "I may not know art, bit I know what I like". IOW, my definition of DC is meaningless to others. But if I like what is put on the field, I will attend.

1. I was shown a few shows, '97 Cavaliers being the only one I remember specifically (go figure), in the fall of '01 during band camp my freshman year.

2. I am aging out this year so I will not be affected, but when I did join in '06 I chose a drum corps that did not use amped voice the prior 2 years, and if this was the year of implementation I would hope that my corps decided not to use them, or only very limited use of electronics. Let's just say that it made me extremely happy to know that I age out when I do.

I would most likely march regardless of the new rules, but obviously as before would be more picky about where I chose to go.

It's a sad day when a speaker on the front sideline becomes more important than the 150 people standing behind it.

It's a sad day when a speaker on the front sideline becomes more important than the 150 people standing behind it.

Wow, companies pay miillions of dollars to get marketing material that isnt even as good as what you just wrote.....brilliant.

Its the mantra for an all acoustic circuit !!

~G~