My Predictions...

BX5CM

A very quick response while I sip coffee before a meeting:

1. I like Blast. I like it a lot. I don't want Blast x 20. That's what this sounds like.

2. I absolutely HATE indoor acoustics. Dome stadiums suck, period. Gyms suck more. I go to the San Antonio show just because it's close and I can see a couple dozen corps in one day. I would much rather see them outdoors, but I don't have that option without sinking thousands into travel every summer. At least with the new Indy stadium there is a retractable roof to help some of the acoustic issues.

3. Ticket prices would have to skyrocket to adjust for venue size. I'm not about to pay $50 to see an indoor show. I'd rather pay the same price for an outdoor one if that will keep the activity going in its outdoor mode.

4. I'd rather see something like this happen in the off season. Perhaps a winter circuit that is non-competitive and all-age can be used to generate interest in the summer season.

Meeting about to start, have to dash.

GreenTrumpetier,

That is all very romantic, however, there IS, in fact a VERY concrete price put upon your experience. Your dues, while paying for much of your experience, don't pay it all, and eventually, when the Cavaliers have to charge $5,000.00 per member, I doubt they will have the numbers at audition that they currently have.

True True 5,000 is alot per member if they ever had to come to that. But there will always be some little kid out there wanting to one day wear the green or the blue, or whatever color your favorite drum corps uniform is and they will find all ways to pay. Biggest way is sponsors. You may not be able to find 1 person to spnsor you that much but you can find alot of people to sponsor you if you just work hard enough.

True True 5,000 is alot per member if they ever had to come to that. But there will always be some little kid out there wanting to one day wear the green or the blue, or whatever color your favorite drum corps uniform is and they will find all ways to pay. Biggest way is sponsors. You may not be able to find 1 person to spnsor you that much but you can find alot of people to sponsor you if you just work hard enough.
Bottom line...if there are people stupid enough to pay, they will charge it!!

A very quick response while I sip coffee before a meeting:

1. I like Blast. I like it a lot. I don't want Blast x 20. That's what this sounds like.

2. I absolutely HATE indoor acoustics. Dome stadiums suck, period. Gyms suck more. I go to the San Antonio show just because it's close and I can see a couple dozen corps in one day. I would much rather see them outdoors, but I don't have that option without sinking thousands into travel every summer. At least with the new Indy stadium there is a retractable roof to help some of the acoustic issues.

3. Ticket prices would have to skyrocket to adjust for venue size. I'm not about to pay $50 to see an indoor show. I'd rather pay the same price for an outdoor one if that will keep the activity going in its outdoor mode.

4. I'd rather see something like this happen in the off season. Perhaps a winter circuit that is non-competitive and all-age can be used to generate interest in the summer season.

Meeting about to start, have to dash.

I'm not talking necesarrily about Blast... Blast seriously limited itself by sticking to a proscenium stage. Being able to see those shows higher up would greatly improve things. As for indoor acoustics, that would be part of the challenge.. re-learning how to make these groups sound great indoors... it certainly is doable... the current slew of wind instruments that are available today were designed to sound best indoors, not outside... (yes I know the instruments drum corps play are marketed to outdoor ensembles, and they are slightly tweaked to try and make them sound as good as possible outside, but brass and woodwind instruments were created hundreds of years ago with the intent that they be played in the concert hall.) I think it would sound better than you are making it out to be. Remember the only acoustic instruments currently viewable indoors are usually percussion... and A LOT of indoor groups overplay.

Please keep in mind this is not a scenario that I am saying I WANT to happen and I'm not talking about it like it's a choice. This is a prediction about what is coming and what MIGHT happen based on the current state of things and where i see them going.

Edited by BX5CM

*Side note: Before you say anything, check this out:

I think you would be hard pressed to say that this group from Japan does not capture the exhillaration of America's outdoor drum corps, indoors. Notice they have a smaller color guard, and more musicians, notice that when the guard dances it is more effective due to the more intimate venue, notice they have greater versatility and physical stamina in terms of marching as they are moving on a hard surface,

So you think they capture the exhillaration of America's outdoor corps?

Do you think that has anything to do with the fact that these groups in JAPAN have Americans on staff to write the shows?~

Just to name a few Americans onboard:

Gordon Henderson

James B. Campbell

Mitch Rogers

Michael R. Gaines

Martin Rhees

Carl Lowe

"notice that when the guard dances it is more effective due to the more intimate venue"

~Yep, every WGI season.~

Edited by Cop