U. of Louisville Marching Band on Extreme Makeover?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished watching it. Some corps needs to sign that kid up and ask for a new food truck

- terrible, i know.... :tongue:

Wow, that was great! Go ABC.

The Hughes family was in Indy for a presentation by BOA in November and I was lucky enough to meet Patrick and his Dad. I thanked Patrick for a very moving moment and the first thing he did was ask my name with a confident firm hand shake. He is one of the most remarkable people I've ever met. The most obvious thing to me when we met was how genuinely caring he was, something that entire family is a prime example for. Needless to say, I'm very excited to see them get some well-deserved loving support.

I marched with Patrick and his dad last year (ran into troubles this past year...) and they are both remarkable people. They truly deserve the new home they got!

A quick note on UofL Band's "old" practice field (the current one, since the university liked to move the band around every few years): it was a swamp. As in, they insisted on watering it every day-even if it had been raining for 110 days straight, they'd still water. We don't know why. They just did. And of course, the field had very poor drainage and when it rained there would be standing water on the field and we'd have to cancel practice (no need for anybody to twist an ankle or something on a soaked field, right?). So the new field actually has much better drainage and has water fountains and a building where insturments can be stored instead of having to carry school horns all the way across campus (a 15-20 minute walk) from the School of Music. ABC did wonderful things and for that, everybody in the band and school of music thanks them, for finally giving the band a field that they can call home.

I think that is the same kid that ESPN ran a piece about a year or so ago. Very moving.

When Louisville made it to the Orange Bowl they did a piece on him.

I marched with Patrick and his dad last year (ran into troubles this past year...) and they are both remarkable people. They truly deserve the new home they got!

A quick note on UofL Band's "old" practice field (the current one, since the university liked to move the band around every few years): it was a swamp. As in, they insisted on watering it every day-even if it had been raining for 110 days straight, they'd still water. We don't know why. They just did. And of course, the field had very poor drainage and when it rained there would be standing water on the field and we'd have to cancel practice (no need for anybody to twist an ankle or something on a soaked field, right?). So the new field actually has much better drainage and has water fountains and a building where insturments can be stored instead of having to carry school horns all the way across campus (a 15-20 minute walk) from the School of Music. ABC did wonderful things and for that, everybody in the band and school of music thanks them, for finally giving the band a field that they can call home.

Just don't let the football coach get control of it. It's probably a better field than the team practices on. :tongue:

Just don't let the football coach get control of it. It's probably a better field than the team practices on.

Oh, how I wish! The football teams has an indoor, heated/air conditioned field turf practice arena. So the band's just happy they don't have to march through mud every practice-and the new field's lighted, so practices won't have to stop early after daylight savings time kicks in because nobody can see whats in front of them anymore. And the fact that a national TV show put forth the effort to make sure the band had safe practice conditions instead of the actual university...But, that's neither here nor there... :tongue: