• Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Carolina Crown
    • Bluecoats
    • Blue Knights
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Colts
    • Glassmen
    • Spirit

For me, emotion comes from dynamic contrast. A corps doesn't have to play blastissimo to achieve that. Star got accused of this same stuff. Pay it no mind if you disagree with it. We all have opinions, right?

winner.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So emotion = loud?

If your the Phantom Regiment it does. Out of tune, too.

alright guys... poll closed. Spirit is eliminated.

Mods may close this when they feel fit.

~>conner

I agree, playing loud does not necessarily mean you are playing with emotion. That said, Cavaliers do not play with emotion. They play perfectly inside their box. And it works for them. It works so well they have won 5 times since 2000, but I have been bored to death with almost every show of theirs since 2000 also......

That said, Cavaliers do not play with emotion.

That's a bold statement. It's a few other things too. Care to back it up with your experience playing with The Cavaliers? Because performing with an ensemble is the only way to truly know whether or not there is emotion in a performance.

That's a bold statement. It's a few other things too. Care to back it up with your experience playing with The Cavaliers? Because performing with an ensemble is the only way to truly know whether or not there is emotion in a performance.

Perhaps what he meant to say is that the Cavaliers don't do a great job of conveying the emotion they put into each performance to the audience. Which is a statement that I would agree with.

If you ask me, none of the corps play with emotion. Emotion is not something you can manufacture. The emotion and personallity is trained right out the corps for the sake of perfection. Every night is the same mindless regurgitation of a dead, lifeless product.

If you ask me, none of the corps play with emotion. Emotion is not something you can manufacture. The emotion and personallity is trained right out the corps for the sake of perfection. Every night is the same mindless regurgitation of a dead, lifeless product.

I agree, and I disagree. Perhaps, more than emotion, there's an intangible called "energy." You can just sort of feel it when a corps is having the run of their season, everyone's firing on all 32 cylinders, and the members are enjoying the hell out of it. Bluecoats had a great run at Finals '05, Phantom and BD had it at Finals in '06, and Cadets had it at semis in '07. I don't know, perhaps it just one of those mind tricks that we play on ourselves and try to convince ourselves that some imaginary intangible value exists, but I still feel it during some performances.

I agree, and I disagree. Perhaps, more than emotion, there's an intangible called "energy." You can just sort of feel it when a corps is having the run of their season, everyone's firing on all 32 cylinders, and the members are enjoying the hell out of it. Bluecoats had a great run at Finals '05, Phantom and BD had it at Finals in '06, and Cadets had it at semis in '07. I don't know, perhaps it just one of those mind tricks that we play on ourselves and try to convince ourselves that some imaginary intangible value exists, but I still feel it during some performances.

A valid point.